Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are jails needed?

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Are jails needed?

Statistics:

****************************1990******1995*****199 7*****1998

Violent crimes per 100,000 people: 732*******685******611******566

murders manslauters(1,000):*****23.4******21.6******18.2** ***16.9

Prisoners(1,000):**************740*******1085***** *1192****1302

New jails were built(220) between 1990 and 1998. Previous jails were not considered "overcrowded" but they built them to house "more prisoners" even though the crime rate was lowering. So do we need so much jails? Why are jails built so much? is it just a cheap workforce to use? What do you think?

(these statistics are, of course limited, but better have been done showing the magical need for more prisoners, but crime rates overall lowering.)

Newbie Solid may be famous one day Solid may be famous one day Solid's Avatar
    Thanks
    There just taking there time, and if we destroy all prisons.........THEY'LL ATTACK! '<.< >.>' but yes, we should keep prisons.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes we need to keep Jails because we don't have a desert island we can abanden them on unless its antartica or soemthing like that XD

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Prisons. I think we need them. But we need to clean up the system that sends the prisoners to prison.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    We need prisons, however bad and overcrowded they may be. At the very least, they give other people something close to a feeling of security. And yes, the system is miserable. Also, some prisoners come out worse than when they came in, becasue of other prisoners. And the overcrowding has become ridiculous.

To youth_anime_fan: Sorry, but I might not be understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that even though we have a lower crime rate, more prisons are being built, supposedly "illogically"? Uh... you do realize there are more thousands of people every year, right?
    Last edited by ryke12; Jan 26, 2005 at 03:42 AM. Reason: messed up coding, so deleted it. Too LAZY
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lower crime rates? I dont know about that....Tehy're building more prsions because of what Ryke said. There are thousands of people born each day. Thouhg instead of prisons they should be building schools. Dont you think? They expect more criminals than children. Well, if these people are born each day..They must learn, correct?

-sigh- I'm not a big fan of prisons. Sure they help to keep our community safe. I'm just not a big fan of them. -shudders-
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I don't think we need to build anymore prisons, but certainly keep the ones we have.

Prisons only take effect on small time thugs, and petty thieves. People who undertake in serious crimes often don't change, if they are ever realesed. Plus crime bosses still lead their organizations from jail. This is especially true with drug trafficing, the drugs and or money is sent through the prisons. And the people who do this obviouly can't be thrown in prison since they're already there.

So in the end yes we do need prisons, but only to correct the smaller criminals that can be helped.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    We absolutely need them.....theres no doubt about it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast