Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japan and Suicides

Newbie animekid63 may be famous one day animekid63 may be famous one day animekid63's Avatar
    Thanks

Japan and Suicides

Did you know that japan is one of the countries with the highest suicide counts? Statistics show that after 1998, they reached over 30,000 suicides anually. They say its because of unemployment problems. I asked my friend masataka why they choose to kill themselves. He told me that not having a job in japan is very serious.

Now doesnt that suck?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Japan and Suicides

Students also have a high suicide rate, the pressure to get the best results to get into the best universities is so high that some students choose to commit suicide because their grades at school aren't high enough.
    Dishonouring the family name...

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah I think Hassun is right, Japanese people are very uptight about family name, actually I think all asian families do

sort of explains why that dad in the battle royale movie hanged himself

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie animekid63 may be famous one day animekid63 may be famous one day animekid63's Avatar
    Thanks

ahh battle royale!!! Yea, he hung himself because of unemployment. Poor Nanahara

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Whew, people in Japan must really need to be smart.
    Seduced by Flesh

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks

I think alot of it has to do with honouring the family name and honouring one's family and ancestors. Honour is something very important to the Japanese people.

As mentioned before, Nanahara's father in Battle Royale hung himself because he felt as through he has failed, both as a member of society (for not being able to find work) and as a father for Nanahara. He wasn't bringing any honour to his son, because he felt himself to be useless so he killed himself. He wanted Shuya to not become what he had, to live honourable and make something of himself. The whole 'go for it' 'you can make it Shuya' thing.
    And also, in BR, the students who killed themselves instead of playing the game, probably did because they didn't want to play the game that would in end turn them into murderers, dishonouring themselves.

Also there's the sepuku (ritual suicide) for the samurai, being defeated or losing was seen as dishonourable, so the act of suicide was seen as an honourable death for one defeated. Preserving their honour.
    The same kind of theroy is behind the reasons for the Kamikaze (divine wind) fighters during WWII.

Sadly, suicide is a common thing in Japan.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

man, i always wanted to go to japan but i never thought there would be a dark underside to the place, but im kinda glad i dont go to school in japan, i get the crappest grades ever.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Hikari Sakurai hit on it. In Japan (as far as I know) there is the cultural attitude that suicide is an acceptable (honorable?) way out. Add the social pressure and it's a bad combination. Especially considering that the survivors (family and friends of the person who dies) still have to deal just like they do anywhere else.

Think about it. We've had our own thread on suicide here. How many of us have considered it? In "western" Judeo-Christian nations suicide is not considered acceptable. There is a stigma attached that I suspect dissueds many who might otherwise do more then think of it. Remove the stigma, add pressure....it's not pretty.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast