Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese blades

Newbie williecwh may be famous one day williecwh may be famous one day williecwh's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese blades

Anyone here who likes japanese blades? I really love them especially those forged using the traditional ways. In my opinion, japanese blades are the ultimate weapons. The blades were named according to their lengths. Japanese swordsmiths had put alot into research and experimenting with ways of creating the ultimate flexible and unbreakable blades. It's hard to get them now as the old skills were not passed on by many great swordsmiths.

Haha... just trying to see if anyone has the same interest.

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese blades

I've come to love Japanese swords. They are purely beautiful. Though, watching them in action is more fun than having them sit around in my house.
    Seduced by Flesh

Newbie williecwh may be famous one day williecwh may be famous one day williecwh's Avatar
    Thanks

haha... but we can't use them... so they'll just have to sit there... Anyway, those which can be purchased for decorative purposes are made from stainless steel and not sharp at all... I've got a friend whose uncle own a real one (he claims) that could slice through thick wood like paper. (Well that's what he claims to have seen) However, I'm sure the genuine ones can slice through more than a block of wood with ease.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williecwh
    Japanese swordsmiths had put alot into research and experimenting with ways of creating the ultimate flexible and unbreakable blades.
    And they never found it because an unbreakable blade does not exist.
    I do agree however that they are the most beaustifully crafted swords I have ever seen.

There was a great discussion on the previous AO about the greatest swords in history...

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Japanese swordsmiths had put alot into research and experimenting with ways of creating the ultimate flexible and unbreakable blades.
    'Research' and 'Experimenting' are perhaps too strong a word to describe the process... 'Experience' and 'Tradition' may be more appropriate words to describe the process as the skills and rituals (in a Zen Buddist/Shinto tradition) were passed from master to apprentice...

The metal used in traditional Samurai swords is often described as 'Folded Steel', but this doesn't accurately describe the material. What it actually is, is soft iron that has been hand forged into steel by hammer and folding soft iron over a hot charcol fire. The end result is a laminate of layers of steel and soft iron which has the two major effects...

1. The layers of soft iron within the steel provide support and shock absorption that prevents the material from shattering from a hard blow...

2. As the sword edge is sharpened, the soft iron layers will wear away faster then the layers of sharp steel, resulting in rows and rows of microscopic razer sharp teeth, which explains the legendary cutting ability of samurai swords...

And unlike European tradition, the more advanced Samurai swords are not made from a single piece of steel, but are actually composites, with seperate parts (with different qualities of steel) for the blade, the two side pieces and the back, all forged around a soft iron core...

Swords made in traditional method are hard to find, not because they are difficult to make, it's because the production of swords was outlawed in Japan during the McAurther led occupation just after World War II. A select number of swordsmith master are licensed by the goverment on the grounds of 'Freedom of Religion' (Shinto), but new licenses for weapon productions are granted only after you have proved yourself by working as an apprentice under an existing licensed swordsmith for several decades...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Kuai may be famous one day Kuai may be famous one day Kuai's Avatar
    Thanks

While I would have to agree that as far as melee weapons go japan by far has the best but they are hardly the untimate weapon. War has reached a point were weapons like that are all but dead weight. Sorry man but even a samurai in full battle armor wouldnt stand a chance agains a new soldier strait out of training. Even if you did choose to ignore the clear range advantage modern flack vests will still stop a katana or just about any other melee weapong in most places. We dont even use bayonets anymore. They are realy just for show. The arnt even sharp (i have been issued a bayonet while i was in the army and i seen tooth picks sharper then that thing)
    If you need anything, anything at all. Come to me. I'll be your gaurdian angel!!

~ My dream weapons: ~ FN F2000 with 40mm GL ~ FN P90 ~ FN Five-seveN ~
    ~ My Jurnals: ~ Live Jurnal ~ My Space ~ Xanga ~ Updated Daily ~
    ~ Aishiteru Seraphita-koishii ~ Please visit My Website ~
    ~ My Diety Guan Yu ~ Puget Sound Warriors Guild ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

'Research' and 'Experimenting' are perhaps too strong a word to describe the process... 'Experience' and 'Tradition' may be more appropriate words to describe the process as the skills and rituals (in a Zen Buddist/Shinto tradition) were passed from master to apprentice...

The metal used in traditional Samurai swords is often described as 'Folded Steel', but this doesn't accurately describe the material. What it actually is, is soft iron that has been hand forged into steel by hammer and folding soft iron over a hot charcol fire. The end result is a laminate of layers of steel and soft iron which has the two major effects...

1. The layers of soft iron within the steel provide support and shock absorption that prevents the material from shattering from a hard blow...

2. As the sword edge is sharpened, the soft iron layers will wear away faster then the layers of sharp steel, resulting in rows and rows of microscopic razer sharp teeth, which explains the legendary cutting ability of samurai swords...

And unlike European tradition, the more advanced Samurai swords are not made from a single piece of steel, but are actually composites, with seperate parts (with different qualities of steel) for the blade, the two side pieces and the back, all forged around a soft iron core...

Swords made in traditional method are hard to find, not because they are difficult to make, it's because the production of swords was outlawed in Japan during the McAurther led occupation just after World War II. A select number of swordsmith master are licensed by the goverment on the grounds of 'Freedom of Religion' (Shinto), but new licenses for weapon productions are granted only after you have proved yourself by working as an apprentice under an existing licensed swordsmith for several decades...
    Yes I've read about this folded steel technique where they fold the steel over about 80 times before folding in the soft metal and then they perform the last process the quenching of the blade where they place the red hot forged blade into water at various temperature, according to the swordsmiths own methods. This was suppose to make the steel stronger and more robust. I've even read that some swordsmith go to the extend to use sake in quenching their forged blade.
    The whole blade making is really time consuming but it's worth it as the results are really admirable. It's really a wonder that they have put in so much effort in perfecting the method of blade making....

Blade making is a beautiful and spiritual art and it's not really about it being useful at this era. Of course weapons improve with time as it would with technology.

Newbie Kuai may be famous one day Kuai may be famous one day Kuai's Avatar
    Thanks

Blade making is a beautiful and spiritual art and it's not really about it being useful at this era. Of course weapons improve with time as it would with technology.
    While this is true I specificly remember you stating (your opinion and it is welcome ^_^) that japans melee weapons wer ethe ultimate weapons. Now I can understand why a person would say that as they are by far some of the best weapons in the world and some of the most beautifull and the work put into them outmaches any other melee weapons in the world that I know of but keep in mind that in alot of ways just as much work goes into some fire arms. Especialy belgume ones. The sure detail the put into there design of each firearm they make is encreadible. Its because of that that they have solved many problems that other companies havent even bothered to think about. ^_^
    If you need anything, anything at all. Come to me. I'll be your gaurdian angel!!

~ My dream weapons: ~ FN F2000 with 40mm GL ~ FN P90 ~ FN Five-seveN ~
    ~ My Jurnals: ~ Live Jurnal ~ My Space ~ Xanga ~ Updated Daily ~
    ~ Aishiteru Seraphita-koishii ~ Please visit My Website ~
    ~ My Diety Guan Yu ~ Puget Sound Warriors Guild ~

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast