Thread: Japanese Death Poems

Otaku FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Death Poems

Hokay so instead of stuyding for my exams.. i am wasting time and reading this poetry. this was translated into english but also written in japanese. but anyway, it's all about zen monks and jaiku poets who wrote their poetry on the verge of death. plus there is lack of culture in this forum, so why not fill the space with something. there's guys in here like Kozan ichikyo and hokushi. as wonderful as this book is, there haiku and poems just seems kind of blank. like for example:
    one spot, alone
    left glowing in the dark:
    my snotty nose.
    By Gaki
    I am not a haiku master.. but i have no idea what these people are talkign about. I was hoping to get a very intellectual discussion started here, but I was wondering how this haiku relates to japanese culture. if this thing goes i'll post some better ones ::
    is this the haiku that Japan has to offer us ? why is this one so.... plain and just eek... I also don't understand what it has to do with his death?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Death Poems

Grumble Grumble Grumble

One of the problems with translating Japanese is that Kanji based puns are simply not translatable. My oldest nephew (who spent a year in Japan teaching English through a program with the Japanese Embassy) tells me that in the anime Azumanga Daioh, the subtitle translations of many of Osaka's puns actually have nothing to do with what she actually says. Instead, the translators were trying for a 'cultural equivalent' translation, as a word by word transation would me meaningless outside of Japanese culture...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Death Poems

but that's horrible. people are ruining the meaning of these poems. i read a billion of these and i only find a few that i actually like or understand. it just nothing makes sense... why would a haiku poet write about his snotty nose when he is dying? this translation will not do! i bet Gaki is turning in his grave as we speak.