Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: japanese (the language)

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: japanese (the language)

Quote Originally Posted by Chihiro Miyazaki
    Oh crap, so if it is the hardest language to learn, am I going to be screwed going into my freshman year (of college) taking year 1?
    A friend told me that the level of difficulty on learning it would solely depend on how much I wanted to learn the language. Detication? SURE! I'll study and study and study till my eyeballs fall out!!! But will this really help me? I've wanted to learn the language because I'm hoping to become an astronaut someday, and I want to be able to communicate with people. Also it'd be nice to understand some of the Japanese anime! lol!
    1) It isn't THE hardest language to learn, but one of them. It is definitly harder than your latin and german based languages. He is right though, if you don't want to put in the time to learn the language then your not going to study the material and there for the course will be a failure. But if you want to learn it, you will study it, and you will do well. I am not a japanese major, actually a engineer and i definatly didn't study as much as I could/should have, but I did fine in the class and got an A in the course. My Japanese class was very much participation. If you came to class everyday, interacted with the class and teacher (did in class speaking activities which are great), and tried on the tests you did well.

JEEB- Do you have recommendations on a good Kanji dictionary or ones to stay away from? Most definatly need to find a good one for next year.

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: japanese (the language)

Hey thank you Fuujin, a lot. I really appreciate everyone's help here. I want to do as well as I possibly can.

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Fuujin>

I haven't yet bought myself one of those, since they are a bit limited on words that aren't spelled with Kanji, so don't expect me to be an 'expert' on those (^_^) . I could, however, recommend you the big, costy ones (like Oxford University's or Kodansha's or that big blue one [O'Reilly's??]). They'll cost you about 70 bucks but they really don't get better than that. Stay away from the small ones, they'll just disappoint you at this level of studies.

I, personally, on the other hand, have really gotten close to one of those electronic dictionaries that are sold in Japan costing from 90$ up to 300$. They're slim, have examples and contain words that aren't spelled with kanji, too. Every high-schooler in Japan has one of those as the newest cover EN-JAP-EN and partially GER-JAP-GER or KOR-JAP-KOR as well. As for kanji, they usually cover about 4000-5000 kanji (some go to the whopping counts of 12,000 kanji or more) plus those that aren't used any more (with all known readings and a lot of other stuff you propably wouldn't even think of like the ). The one I use is an old Seiko SR-T4020 (view). But I still think that sometimes a plain good-ol' dictionary can't be beaten (in other aspects than weight). The best thing is, I can always check words I remember in Japanese and use them in English when I get a 'linguistic block'.

That's my opinion on dictionaries. Now I need to rest ("Oh I hate being from Scandinavia and then ending up near Tokyo in the summer - the moisture's killing me...")
    人生フゥ~!!!

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I was looking at one of Kodansha's. For sure not going for the 200 basic kanji books, already know alot of those. 4000-5000 Kanji? Does anyone in Japan really use that much, I know the HS level is 2000, so I would expect the avg person of knowing around 3000 or so. But that is a pretty cool Seiko, I will have to look at those.

Newbie asraiwaters may be famous one day asraiwaters may be famous one day asraiwaters's Avatar
    Thanks

Chihiro:

dont worry about it. once you start learning, you get addicted and you just keep wanting to learn more. when i study late at night, i dream in japanese! really, you'll do fine as long as you keep wanting to learn.

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

thank you. I'm so excited for school to start now! It'd be cool to dream in Japanese... lol!

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Newbie TalontheElf may be famous one day TalontheElf may be famous one day
    Thanks

I am teaching myself basic Nihongo (Japanese Language) w/o the aid of a Sensei or w/o the "Structured class environs" It stinks for me, because I don't have access to a person who speaks Nihongo. I too have reference books on the writing of the Hiragana, used for native Nihon words (which I love to write w/ !) Also the Katakana, which is used for foreign words being incorporated into Nihongo. I also have CDs on the language and a set of "Flash Cards". Yep, I have gone overboard on studying !
    Then there is the Kanji, which number into the thousands (Last count about 50,000 !) I understand some of the Kanji are not used very much. The Japanese Govt. recognizes 1,945 Joyo KANJI.
    Hey folks, I have a hard time understanding Eigo (English) let alone the rules ! I have been working about 14 months learning Nihongo, the culture and the history. Learning about the people is "Kwel" ! Ihave been o9ver to Nihon last year. This year, I will be going over there (Japan) for a month travelling, I look forward to be able to speak w/ the locals.
    In the meantime, I will keep on studing ! Gambatte !

Otaku fangirl006 may be famous one day fangirl006 may be famous one day fangirl006's Avatar
    Thanks

My older brother who's now a senior in high school has been learning the language for about 2 years now. He's amazing at it! The writing is just so beautiful! XD I want to learn, but unfortuneately, I'm having my own troubles learning the italian language in school, hehe.
    "Who's in the forest strolling? The birds and the bees sing Momeji. The frogs in the pond are calling. Momeji yes it's true..."

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast