Thread: Japanese Researchers Claim HIV Drug Breakthrough

Otaku BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Researchers Claim HIV Drug Breakthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Taken from Japan News Net.
    (Tokyo) A team of Japanese researchers say they have developed a potent new drug that blocks HIV from entering human cells and causes almost no side effects.

The drug, named AK602, was unveiled at the International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific in Kobe on Tuesday the Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The scientists, from Kumamoto University say that the the drug's main feature is that it shuts out the AIDS virus at the point when it tries to intrude into a human cell.

Current AIDS medicines often lose their effectiveness in a few days because the virus changes and develops a resistance to those drugs.

But the AK602 is different because it reacts to human cells instead of attacking the virus, Hiroaki Mitsuya the lead researcher in the study told the paper.

According to Mitsuya AK 602 sticks to a protein called CCR5 that acts as an entrance for HIV into human cells. When the new drug becomes attached to the protein, Mitsuya says, it can prevent HIV from entering, and thus stop the virus from spreading.

The paper reports that the researchers conducted clinical tests on 40 AIDS patients in the United States.

When the patients took 600 milligrams of AK602 twice a day for 10 days, the number of HIV viruses dropped to about 1 percent on average.

Almost no side effects were reported, according to Mitsuya

AK602 does not cover the entire CCR5 protein, he said. It only shuts the specific area where HIV can enter, leaving open the sections necessary for normal bodily operations.

Half of the 40 patients tested had taken other anti-AIDS drugs before, Mitsuya told the Asahi Shimbun, but those medicines were no longer effective because the virus had already developed resistance.
    So, the virus can't develop a resistance to it because it enters human cells instead of attacking the virus. Maybe later on they'll find a way to combine both assets. I think this is one step closer to the full cure everyone's trying to find.
    What do all of you think of this?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Researchers Claim HIV Drug Breakthrough

Grumble Grumble Grumble

But the drug does nothing to eliminate 'carrier' T-cells that are already infected with the HIV virus, and virus mutation is still possible from these infected cells. And a 10 day drug trial isn't long enough to show that the drug prevents contact to contact T-cell infection. This 'discovery' is a treatment for the disease, but not a cure, just like the current treatments. And only long term testing will show if development of drug resistence will occur...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

There had been many other theories that doctors and researchers come up with, but they never seem to follow through...Like the theory about attacking the HIV virus using the same method that email programs block spam

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I dunno. This thing might actually pan out. From what I remember, most scientists for a little bit of time have been trying to do exactly what AK602 does.

So even if this isn't the be-all, end-all of HIV medicine, at least it's a VERY large stepping-stone.

I think most scientists have been trying for a breakthrough like this, so it's very important.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.