Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese sentence structure

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese sentence structure

onamae ha? ...ah i know where you got that from. in japanese, the 'ha' symbol is pronounced as a 'wa' when used as a particle. so...it's 'onamae wa' and not 'onamae ha'. you would pronounce the 'ha' symbol as 'ha' when it's used in an actual word or name (eg - hamasaki). but if it's used as a particle (by itself) then it's pronounced 'wa'.

kind of confusing...when i first learnt that, i was like o_O but after studying japanese for 3 years, i'm used to it now ^_^
    Last edited by mystical shadow angel; Feb 05, 2006 at 04:43 AM.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Er, I know that. But I still spell it as "ha" anyway.

Newbie faia may be famous one day faia may be famous one day faia's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Japanese sentence structure

like if you ask someone are you an american? it's set up like anata wa amerkia-jin desu ka..........which if its translated directly is:you an american are?

Otaku rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEEB
    @Moonlight
    No problem, it's fun to try to put something you know into words, something concrete.

@jeilee
    No, I'm not Japanese . It's true that I've been in Japan for a year and that got my Japanese a lot better but it still doesn't make me Japanese. I've been thinking about being a Japanese teacher in my local high school as it has a sortage of courses about it and many people are eager to join more classes (and it's a way to earn money). Heh... It's only been about two years from the time when I took that course myself. Learning hiragana and katakana (^_^)/

@non-offtopic:
    In any case I'd say that Wikipedia has matured a bit on the side of languages. For basic information I'd say that it's one of the best places to look. I was planning on making a somehow-understandable book on Japanese, but I'll leave that until I get through the Nihongo nouryoku shiken on level 1 (-_o)

I wish i had classes!!!! but i learn everthing on my own time! and i want to go to japan!!!!!! My fav teacher went!!! I wanna go!
    Thank you Lasura!
    My lover speaks; and he says, 'Arise my beloved my beautiful one and come!' -Song of Songs 2:10

Newbie Kyzicranbzy may be famous one day Kyzicranbzy may be famous one day Kyzicranbzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh...it's kind of like Chinese, you can't take a sentence and directly translate it...
    Take classes and learn, or something; it's pretty hard to explain, even for a Japanese chiq like me. .__.

Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

Otaku rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: Japanese sentence structure

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzicranbzy
    Eh...it's kind of like Chinese, you can't take a sentence and directly translate it...
    Take classes and learn, or something; it's pretty hard to explain, even for a Japanese chiq like me. .__.
    Well I believe that chinese is harder way harder…
    Thank you Lasura!
    My lover speaks; and he says, 'Arise my beloved my beautiful one and come!' -Song of Songs 2:10

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by faia
    like if you ask someone are you an american? it's set up like anata wa amerkia-jin desu ka..........which if its translated directly is:you an american are?
    Nope, it's actually "You are an American?"

After a while, you'll see that you can treat DESU KA as a question mark and DESU as a full stop. For example, this sentence : "Watashi wa Ami desu." This translates as "I am Ami (full stop)"

You see what I'm getting at?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2