Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Jark - Co-Founder of DeviantART "Fired" ...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Jark - Co-Founder of DeviantART "Fired" ...

More resent Statement from Jark:

By now half the “world” knows that I no longer “work” on deviantART. I can assure you that this is not some cruel practical joke. Many probably wish it to be one but, unfortunately, it is not.

What I am going to do here is offer up a small explanation, of sorts. Due to pending legal issues the specifics of the entire story are unable to be published by me.

This is a small explanation regarding the events leading up to the involuntary termination. I offer the truth, nothing more.

A few weeks ago I started dialogue with Angelo regarding some serious business matters. A number of issues that I had with deviantART, Inc. were bothering me so I thought it pertinent to make an attempt to remedy them.

I sat down and drafted an email to Angelo and cc:’d Andrew. It was a fairly lengthy email that asked a number of questions that needed answers.

The next day I received a response from Angelo, who asked if I were available for a phone call in two days. I wanted to know the specific subject of the call therefore I responded by asking for that information. Furthermore, I wanted to have a witness on the line in order to protect my interests.

Well, that was immediately shot down by Angelo. I was informed that since this was “intended as a confidential discussion” that witnesses were not allowed. Because of this I asserted that I wanted to know the subject of the call, as at this point I feared termination as a form of reprisal for questioning the very issues I did, or Angelo would hear from my attorney.

Ultimately, Andrew responded and asked a few questions and said that I could have a witness on the line when he called. It was a Saturday morning, one which I was greeted by a hangover, when Andrew called. We discussed a few things and then a day, or so, later he emailed me asking for further clarification of some serious business matters I alluded to in my email.

At this point I was getting tired of being given the run around because that is what it felt like. I sent an email back to Andrew, cc:’ing Angelo, outlining the majority of my issues, with a deadline of 10 days. If that was not met then certain actions were to be taken.

Eight days in to this I had yet to receive as much as an email, instant message, Skype or telephone call. I sent a scathing email to Andrew and Angelo exclaiming what a mockery of an “investigation” this was since I had not been contacted for my side of the story. In the email I stated that I needed to hear something from someone within 24 hours otherwise the aforementioned actions were to be set in to place.

I received a response around hour 22 though I was not at my desk therefore I did not read the email until shortly after hour 24. Since I had received a response I replied by saying that I was at my desk and I could make myself available for a phone call.

I went down to my car and received a phone call from Andrew, on behalf of the Board of Directors for deviantART, Inc., in which the first thing out of his mouth was that the board has decided to terminate my relationship with deviantART, Inc. A settlement agreement and answer to my email would be provided.

The conversation ended and I walked back upstairs to my desk, feeling like I was walking through Myst. Loaded up deviantART to see that I was a “deviant” rather than an “Admin.”

Make of this what you will.
    Looks like greed and corporate issues to me...

Newbie LeTombeCelui may be famous one day LeTombeCelui may be famous one day LeTombeCelui's Avatar
    Thanks

You have that right. But I thought the DAInc. didn't own all of DA O_o wouldn't they have to get this OKed with the rest of the owners? I mean this would all be more understandable if Jark was some lowscale staff member but he is one of the founders . . . this just all seems so wrong.

The Brightest Angel Falls
    So Here I am The Fallen One

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya know? That would be like me taking over AO and firing dan gig and the entire mod staff for stupid reasons. I just think its stupid that the DA staff is hiding something from the members. If he did something "Bad" to the comony I think the members should be allowed to know with no beatoing around the bush. I mean come on. DeviantART was an Anime community till the other admins ban the whole Copyrighted images bullshit. I am not good at drawing nore good at any other kind of art but abstrackt bgs for my walls. the policy held by DA is full of loopholes and should be rewritten.

As for the one fired I really don't see a point unless the staff were intimidated by him for some od and unusual reason.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    Ya know? That would be like me taking over AO and firing dan gig and the entire mod staff for stupid reasons. I just think its stupid that the DA staff is hiding something from the members. If he did something "Bad" to the comony I think the members should be allowed to know with no beatoing around the bush. I mean come on. DeviantART was an Anime community till the other admins ban the whole Copyrighted images bullshit. I am not good at drawing nore good at any other kind of art but abstrackt bgs for my walls. the policy held by DA is full of loopholes and should be rewritten.

As for the one fired I really don't see a point unless the staff were intimidated by him for some od and unusual reason.
    dA wasn't an Anime Community, sure it had members who were anime fans, but DevART was started as a Art community to compeat with skinner communities.

Mod Edit:...

From Jark's journal today:

Calculated risks are ...

Premeditated.

Planned.

Deliberate.

Unfortunately, as most gamblers know, even professional ones, risks hardly flourish. It takes a lot to happen “correctly” for a risk to be truly successful.

Most of the time risks are failures because of underestimation. Assumptions are made that a particular path will be taken, when in fact a completely different one is selected.

Calculated risks generally are more victorious because of the careful planning it takes to execute them. Though, with the chaos of life the outcome is never a sure thing.

This calculated risk is bound to be unsuccessful. Failure is the only option.

Documentation aside, there is far too much that needs to be concealed for this risk to be triumphant. The sloppy methodology utilized has been discovered and will be known to all quite soon.

Much to your dismay, I do not fear you.

Unfortunately for you, I have been underestimated.

Your calculated risk is doomed for failure.
    Thats a thinly vailed threat...

This is going to get interesting. Jark did say that he would tell all eventually regardless of what happens to him. This should be good.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

you do realise there is a rule against double posting?

Thanks

Question Re: Jark - Co-Founder of DeviantART "Fired" ...

deviantART; A Little Story, Part 1

Taken from Jark's Journal

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a little yellow alien named jark.

Wait, this is not a fairy tale so let me dispense with that.

This is an attempt to explain some of the history behind the founding of deviantART. I have no desire to hide a thing and therefore make of this what you will.

“Back in the day” I used to run a little known MP3 website called CyberTropix. I used to hang out in #mp3 on [link], where all the big named MP3 webmasters were. There was a fairly large following in the channel on this small network.

It was here that I met Angelo, who used the nick “spyed” in the channel. He ran a hugely popular MP3 news website called Dimension Music. The site would eventually be bought by Michael Ovitz. I have no details surrounding the acquisition therefore will not speculate.

Interestingly enough, back during the #mp3 days, Angelo was living in New York. He had a girlfriend named Sarah, who showed up on IRC every now and again. Sarah’s mom, with her nick of “mp3mom,” popped in to the channel almost daily. She was a great person to talk to.

It was “mp3mom” that ultimately introduced me to Angelo. I complained to her one day that he was pretty condescending, and acted like an ass to many folks in the channel, but she talked me out of those thoughts. Not sure what she said to Angelo but somehow dialogue between us started.

At some point there was this plan to converge some MP3 websites in to DMusic, which is what the original name was changed to, in order to make one really large site with a unique vision among all the chaos of the MP3 revolution. CyberTropix was one of these sites.

In exchange for a monthly “salary,” the site became part of the “DMusic Network” and I ultimately ended up doing development on both CyberTropix and DMusic. This was back around the 1999 timeframe.

After working on DMusic for almost a year, while nothing but failed promises, things started to look very bleak. This disappointment could not be attributed to any one individual with the exception of Michael Ovitz. My relationship with Angelo was starting to worsen because of the stress of the setbacks on DMusic.

Nonetheless, all of us pressed on in the most professional manner we could.

In the spring of 1999, while in the process of rebuilding DMusic, it was decided that the site needed the ability to host skins for all the popular MP3 applications. This was at the height of Winamp’s fame, before it was bought by AOL.

I had written a user authentication system, news system, and other such features, on CyberTropix. These were merged in to DMusic and a couple other sites in the DMusic Network. The shared backend made it easy to propagate news on multiple sites simultaneously while offering a single sign-on for the network.

At the time we thought it would be useful to build in to DMusic a skin section. Sites like skinz.org and DeskMod were experiencing many issues. DeskMod had problems handling their growth and ultimately saw many of the same slowdowns that deviantART saw. Skinz.org and the whole eFront debacle will go down in history as one of the oddest events in the customization community. Customize.org was gone as it was bought by someone who ended up not having the expertise to comprehend the Perl backend.

The customization community was up in arms. Nothing was going right, per se.

Having run a skin site for a short period of time in the 98/99 timeframe, in a site called screenphuck (which I still own the domain name for BTW), I had experience that I wanted to put to use. I thought it would be smart to start a new site and use portions of the shared backend idea we had going on with the DMusic Network.

The basic premise was the new site would use the user authentication and news system I wrote while the skin submissions would be integrated in to DMusic. This would give DMusic, and Angelo, the much wanted skin “solution” that he sought.

I started hunting for ideas; a way to make a unique vision that incorporated some fun in the name and the ideals of this newfound site. After some hard thinking, and some hard-fought domain name locating, the name deviantART was the name I settled on.

Initially I wanted to use deviate.com but that was taken. The idea of using .org, which was open at the time, did not appeal to me. deviantART.com was open so that is what I selected.

The thought pattern was as such, since the roots of deviantART were with the skinning community. When you skin an application you eventually end up “deviating” from the normal look and feel of Windows. Skins are, at the end of the day, works of art. By putting these two thoughts together, I surmised, that deviantART was the ideal name.

To make things even more fun and exciting I thought that calling the visitors “deviants” and the submissions “deviations,” as opposed to skin, would be a nice play on the name. A kind of branding, if you will.

I ended up pitching the whole idea to Angelo, who was in charge of DMusic at the time. He liked it and, basically, gave the green light for me to migrate from my duties at DMusic in order to concentrate on my vision.

So I did.

I worked on a basic design for the site, which offered a revolutionary menu system for the time. This is where “deviant green” began. It was shown to a couple folks, one of which was my friend, and co-founder, Matt Stephens. We met on IRC somewhere. My senility does not allow me to remember the specifics; point is that we met and, in due course, worked together to bring the deviantART vision to fruition.

Matt’s idea was to open deviantART up to the masses by way of allowing any type of art submission, without moderation, rather than be confined to skins. Together we brainstormed and added to our vision for this “utopia” of the art and skin community.

Then one day I had a career shift that had me move from one prefecture (the Japanese equivalent of a province or state) to another. During this change of residence, and the stress associated with it, I got severely ill. For weeks I had fevers of 102, or higher, compounded with lung issues.

It was during a long weekend, with a rather bad fever, before August 7, 2000 that deviantART was born. deviantART was coded from the ground up by myself, in its entirety, throughout this hot summer weekend.

The consciousness of the “Collective Rectum” was conceived.
    Last edited by aceman67; Aug 07, 2005 at 11:00 AM.

Newbie Seraphim Azarael may be famous one day Seraphim Azarael may be famous one day Seraphim Azarael's Avatar
    Thanks

More resent Statement from Jark:

Quote:

By now half the “world” knows that I no longer “work” on deviantART. I can assure you that this is not some cruel practical joke. Many probably wish it to be one but, unfortunately, it is not.

What I am going to do here is offer up a small explanation, of sorts. Due to pending legal issues the specifics of the entire story are unable to be published by me.

This is a small explanation regarding the events leading up to the involuntary termination. I offer the truth, nothing more.

A few weeks ago I started dialogue with Angelo regarding some serious business matters. A number of issues that I had with deviantART, Inc. were bothering me so I thought it pertinent to make an attempt to remedy them.

I sat down and drafted an email to Angelo and cc:’d Andrew. It was a fairly lengthy email that asked a number of questions that needed answers.

The next day I received a response from Angelo, who asked if I were available for a phone call in two days. I wanted to know the specific subject of the call therefore I responded by asking for that information. Furthermore, I wanted to have a witness on the line in order to protect my interests.

Well, that was immediately shot down by Angelo. I was informed that since this was “intended as a confidential discussion” that witnesses were not allowed. Because of this I asserted that I wanted to know the subject of the call, as at this point I feared termination as a form of reprisal for questioning the very issues I did, or Angelo would hear from my attorney.

Ultimately, Andrew responded and asked a few questions and said that I could have a witness on the line when he called. It was a Saturday morning, one which I was greeted by a hangover, when Andrew called. We discussed a few things and then a day, or so, later he emailed me asking for further clarification of some serious business matters I alluded to in my email.

At this point I was getting tired of being given the run around because that is what it felt like. I sent an email back to Andrew, cc:’ing Angelo, outlining the majority of my issues, with a deadline of 10 days. If that was not met then certain actions were to be taken.

Eight days in to this I had yet to receive as much as an email, instant message, Skype or telephone call. I sent a scathing email to Andrew and Angelo exclaiming what a mockery of an “investigation” this was since I had not been contacted for my side of the story. In the email I stated that I needed to hear something from someone within 24 hours otherwise the aforementioned actions were to be set in to place.

I received a response around hour 22 though I was not at my desk therefore I did not read the email until shortly after hour 24. Since I had received a response I replied by saying that I was at my desk and I could make myself available for a phone call.

I went down to my car and received a phone call from Andrew, on behalf of the Board of Directors for deviantART, Inc., in which the first thing out of his mouth was that the board has decided to terminate my relationship with deviantART, Inc. A settlement agreement and answer to my email would be provided.

The conversation ended and I walked back upstairs to my desk, feeling like I was walking through Myst. Loaded up deviantART to see that I was a “deviant” rather than an “Admin.”

Make of this what you will.

Looks like greed and corporate issues to me...
    I must agree. As a subscriber to DA, I feel that a full explanation from all sides is due the public, regardless of any legal practicality or consequence. I tire of this ridiculous political spectacle that not only embarrasses DA, but also all associated with this situation. There has to be some reason other than legal issues that DA refuses to explain. They're hiding something, and it must be foul and dirt if they're fighting so hard over it.

I've met and discussed with the holders and admin of DA, and still have progress yet to gain. The staff that were not involved with the termination of Jark clearly wish to say something, but can't in fear of their own 'termination.'

It sickens me so.
    -insert witty signature here-

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

DevArt went crazy after they kicked Scott Jarkoff off. Everywhere there was (and still is) pics, avas and journals sporting the yellow alien. Prominent artists closed their galleries and stopped selling prints (which made me really sad, most of them were my favorites), and staff members got up and left (including our Liquid Darkness!)

People are afraid that DA will no longer be the warm art community they lived in for years. "The end of DA", they call it. Which I think is too overly dramatic. It's not like Spyed is going to close up DA, nor will he not allow fanarts, as the rumors go. And Lolly, who is in charge of DA now, is part of the community, not one of them company guys.
    関西は最高やねん

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4