View Poll Results: Is this, despite being ethically terrible, a sound investment?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, we just wanna get drunk; screw ethics!

8 72.73%
  • No, the public won't contribute to such a thing.

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Katrina looks to blow you away!

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Katrina looks to blow you away!

Apparently there's always gonna be a few "genius inventors" that with a complete lack of principle seek the big bucks. The latest example is a pair of Louisiana attorneys who have already trademarked their alcoholic beverage by the name of "Katrina" with the catchy slogan, "Get Blown Away."

Katrina, The drink. Click.

And for the dial-up crowd:
    SEPTEMBER 20--With dead bodies still floating in the streets of New Orleans, a pair of Louisiana lawyers are seeking to cash in on the killer hurricane by slapping the name Katrina on alcoholic beverages. In a new filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Andrew Vicknair and Harold Ehrenberg provided federal officials with a logo--reproduced above--bearing the word Katrina, the phrase "Get Blown Away," and a small satellite image of the deadly storm. The trademark application was filed on September 4, just six days after the hurricane slammed into the Gulf Coast, killing more than 1000 residents and leaving thousands homeless. The filing by Vicknair, 31, and the 47-year-old Ehrenberg--both of whom are graduates of New Orleans-based Loyola University's law school--does not detail what kind of booze products will bear the Katrina name. But it's a safe bet that these wannabe profiteers are plotting some variation on The Hurricane, the Bourbon Street staple. According to their trademark application, Vicknair (pictured top left) and Ehrenberg (pictured bottom left) operate from an office in Metarie, Louisiana, a New Orleans suburb that suffered heavy hurricane damages. The property, which apparently was not flooded during the storm, also houses Ehrenberg's chiropractic office. A beta version of his web site includes a picture of "Dr. Harold" sandwiched between the words "Attorney" and "Chiropractor." The graphic also includes a series of six roman columns, three of which are actually human spines. Neither Vicknair nor Ehrenberg returned TSG phone messages seeking comment on their trademark bid.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Newbie teddeler may be famous one day teddeler may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Katrina looks to blow you away!

I wouldn't call it a sound investment, I'd call it a gamble that could pay big or could totally flop. There are enough people that like black humour and laughing in the face of death that it could take off. On the other hand, there was a company that sold slushies (I can't remember the name) that lost money because of outrage at one of their advertisements after 9-11. It said "Collapse into a cold drink" and showed two slushies, one slightly shorter than the other. The company said the reference to the trade towers was unintentional but they withdrew the advertising.

I personally think that trying to may a buck off of tragedy is morally reprehensible and won't support them - not that I would anyway, I don't drink.
    Who-Otaku, brown belt.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

This is freakin' hilarious. Were I at all interested in alchohol, I'd have to give this a look-see. Catchy phrase, and it has marketing to those of us with flexible ethics.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Clever. But my favorite name for a drink is still A.M.F. You SHOULD know what this stands for by now....

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Adios MotherEFFER! Lol As a bartender, I sure know what an AMF is. It also picked up the name "Miami Ice" in the '80s, as an obvious reference.

As for my personal opinion on the whole thing, I can look away from the whole hurricane reference thing long enough to try it. However, I've gotta believe that the general public is going to be very reluctant to welcome this.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't know what to say...

except...

**** *** **** *** ****** **** **** *** *** ******* *** *** **** ***** **** jerks...

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

I'd buy it and just showcase it on my bookshelf or desk as a decoration, just to prove that it exists. It's awesome!

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't drink but I must say that is poor taste in a name. A lot of people lost everything b/c of that hurricane. Naming a drink after it to boost initial sales is sad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast