Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: killing oursevles

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just a thought but why not disscuss solar powered cars. They've developed them before, but were thrown out because of the oil industry. Solar powered cars can run just the same as our current cars, and we'd only ever have to worry about long periods of time where the sun is blocked out, but all you'd need is to just back up the car with removable, and replacable batteries.

And best of all sunlight is free, haha.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    Just a thought but why not disscuss solar powered cars. They've developed them before, but were thrown out because of the oil industry. Solar powered cars can run just the same as our current cars, and we'd only ever have to worry about long periods of time where the sun is blocked out, but all you'd need is to just back up the car with removable, and replacable batteries.

And best of all sunlight is free, haha.

Sunlight may be free, but the photovoltaics necessary to convert sunlight to energy (electricity) are ungodly expensive. Also, the battery packs necessary to store the electricity produced by sunlight are much, much too heavy with today's technology.

The reason that the IC (Internal Combustion) engine has lasted so long is that it has a desirable cost-to-performace ratio. It's not the oil companies' fault that such conditions exist. It's the oil companies that are the primary funding source for new energies.
    They are all well aware of the limitations of the oil reserves and if they want to survive they'll have to adapt, just like any other company.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Im confused as to why this debate is titled "Killing Ourselvse"...

but as to the subject... despite the limitations we know that exist in alternative feul sources, they definitely have to be explored to their fullest potential b/c of the dwindling oil reserves. But Zui Quan.. i think its a bit naive to think that its in Oil Companies best interests to back alternative fuels... i mean sure, they all know the oil reserves are going to be emptied one day.. but i don't think they really care. i mean it wont happen in their lifetimes probably.. i kinda look at them like the tobacco industry.. i mean despite the fact that they kill their own clients they still make cigarettes.. they dont really care.

The end is important in all things.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow, that's the first time someone has accused me of being naive.

Especially since in my work I'm pretty much in daily contact with R&D people for oil companies like Ashland Oil and ExxonMobil. I know what the oil companies are doing. The big push for such energy companies is development of cost-effective CNG technology and hydrogen in addition to figuring out how to wring more oil out of the earth's crust.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Newbie AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not very educated about this topic but i thought i heard something where they ahd developed some sort of fuel that burns cleaner. I thought it had something to do with certain plants. I can't remember exactly what it was called or all of the details but they were selling it in Illinois. I only knw that cuz they were talking about it when the gas prices had shot up really fast. Am I right in what im talking about or i am just completely mistaken?

thanx for the sig KayJayFromAust

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah we can say we can replace gasoline cars with more fuel efficent hydro cars or solar cars but think of the consequences. We could a lot of gas stations. In an instant, they would be purposeless. and water could actually be ecomically worthy. There's to many "big jumps" I don't think we're really ready for. There ARE consqeunces.

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks

its called that

its called that because they are practicly beating their brains out trying to find a way to make cars run cleaner and cheaper
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Wow, that's the first time someone has accused me of being naive.

Especially since in my work I'm pretty much in daily contact with R&D people for oil companies like Ashland Oil and ExxonMobil. I know what the oil companies are doing. The big push for such energy companies is development of cost-effective CNG technology and hydrogen in addition to figuring out how to wring more oil out of the earth's crust.
    Sorry i didn't mean to insult you or anything. I just tend to be pessimistic in general, always looking for the hypocrisy that exists rather than the 'good'.

so yea, u seem more knowledgeable about it and if they're actually making an effort to pull us off of oil than more power to them...

i just highly doubt that an industry which makes billions off of the current market would be too eager to develop something new and possibly expose themselves to competition from any number of sources... if i was making that much money off the status quo, my motivation would be to keep everything as is.. but i could be wrong
    :-/

The end is important in all things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast