Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: killing oursevles

Newbie Ashi may be famous one day Ashi may be famous one day Ashi's Avatar
    Thanks
    i just highly doubt that an industry which makes billions off of the current market would be too eager to develop something new and possibly expose themselves to competition from any number of sources... if i was making that much money off the status quo, my motivation would be to keep everything as is.. but i could be wrong
    And when the oil runs out? It's widely accepted that, in the grand scheme of things, we don't have much time left before we've sucked the world dry. Pessimistic estimates, though questionable, say total depletion could possibly even happen in the next twenty or thirty years.

When this happens, what do you think happens to the companies you described? Stick to the status quo and be left behind; it's simple marketing. If they don't prepare for the upcoming oil shortage, they'll be dead in the dirt. It's that simple.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenOne

i just highly doubt that an industry which makes billions off of the current market would be too eager to develop something new and possibly expose themselves to competition from any number of sources... if i was making that much money off the status quo, my motivation would be to keep everything as is.. but i could be wrong
    :-/
    Companies go belly up if they stick to the status quo, no matter what the cash windfall is. For example, Microsquish had already cornered the OS market by the time they released MS-DOS 6.2 (the last stable OS from MS ). However they didn't stick to the status quo that made them billions, instead they started on Windows and made even more money.

The Oil Industry is the same way. Just because they are making huge coin by sucking oil out of the ground doesn't mean that they won't make a large investment in the development of other energy sources. And to be honest, the oil companies are pretty much the only economic entities with the cash and resources to develop so-called "alternative energies" on a wide scale.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    i stand corrected.

The end is important in all things.

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Sunlight may be free, but the photovoltaics necessary to convert sunlight to energy (electricity) are ungodly expensive. Also, the battery packs necessary to store the electricity produced by sunlight are much, much too heavy with today's technology.

The reason that the IC (Internal Combustion) engine has lasted so long is that it has a desirable cost-to-performace ratio. It's not the oil companies' fault that such conditions exist. It's the oil companies that are the primary funding source for new energies.
    They are all well aware of the limitations of the oil reserves and if they want to survive they'll have to adapt, just like any other company.
    Yes, but perhaps by the time we need to find an alternate source of energy they would have developed upon the idea.

But we had a disscusion about this in my history class today as we go off topic frequently. But anyway they were talking about electric cars, and such.

It made me think that whatever the new resource is gonna be, it's most likely going to be something that the fuel companies can convert to, since I wouldn't think that they would just allow a resoource such as sunlight be used since they cn't sell sunlight, haha.

So the hydrogen idea seems to be the most likely solution for the future.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    Yes, but perhaps by the time we need to find an alternate source of energy they would have developed upon the idea.

But we had a disscusion about this in my history class today as we go off topic frequently. But anyway they were talking about electric cars, and such.

It made me think that whatever the new resource is gonna be, it's most likely going to be something that the fuel companies can convert to, since I wouldn't think that they would just allow a resoource such as sunlight be used since they cn't sell sunlight, haha.

So the hydrogen idea seems to be the most likely solution for the future.
    It's not just a matter of convertability, what do you do if it's cloudy? In area's like southern Cali, Nevada, New Mexico, deserts and such, maybe. If technology can actually get to the point that the batteries don't weigh so much and they can actually get enough of a charge to get you over 60mph consistently and the equipment doesn't take so much room that you can carry more then 2 people then maybe someday we'll see some custom cars on the market.

You have to remember that the market is based on getting a product to the maximum amount of people possible. Unless a power source is something that can be dispersed or collected by all possible customers it's just not worth their time to develop.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3