Movies have always been reliant and based on books, tales, myths, history, unfortunately but occasionally video games, etc, but in the past few years I have seen it done one too many times and then some. To the point to where now they can even remake a classic movie, have the casting of characters be less prejudice and diverse, add some sort of new demented twist, and slap on a new 'up to date' title. Seriously, if it wasn't for a selected few awesome movies that come out from time to time*coughSINCITYcoughTEAMAMERICAcough* and the hilarious adventures of movie theater experiences, I would rarely go and waste my money.
Guess I should answer the actual topic question, eh? lol This list could literally be endless, but I'll just name the ones on the top of my head right now:
- A personal rule: If there's 6+ sequels, just stop...(sup Land Before Time)
- I can't say this enough: horror films. Some are just so ridiculous you can watch them for comical reasons, yet there are the occasional exceptions
- White/black authority(i.e. police, FBI) hotshot + stupid black/white sidekick trainee that ends up saving his partner's life + subtle racial references + movie's theme song consisting of the newest popular song voted by MTV's web poll = one of the new lows of visual entertainment
- Mainstream teen movies. How many times can you watch some dorky guy attempt to get the hottest girl in school by trying to be someone he isn't but results in her and for some miraculous reason the whole school voting him Prom King for confessing in front of everyone what he went through to get that far? And don't forget the opposition: girl getting a makeover! ;D
- Disney/Nickelodeon TV show turned into made for TV movie. 'Nuff said (If it makes it to the theaters the only purpose of making such a mistake is for people 8 and under)
- We(Women's Entertainment) made for TV movies. MORE than 'nuff said
- B-quality pr0no. Come on, someone had to say it. :\ I myself indulged on purchasing Edward Penishands thanks to Something Awful's wonderful review.
- And I already mentioned horrible remakes.
Man I could go on but I'll stop right here, you get the general idea.