Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last names first or first names first?

Newbie amjl81 may be famous one day amjl81 may be famous one day amjl81's Avatar
    *Looks around* Someplace on earth that I loathe.
    Thanks

Last names first or first names first?

This has always confused me. Because in some anime/mangas it's totally different. So which is it?
    First names first? Or Last names first?

Otaku AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Last names first or first names first?

By what i've seen the most abundantly used form is last name first with the suffix that is appropriate for the person. The japanese suffixes used to formally or casually address someone. I don't personally know what the suffixes are or which are which but that is as much as i can say that i truely know.

Newbie amjl81 may be famous one day amjl81 may be famous one day amjl81's Avatar
    *Looks around* Someplace on earth that I loathe.
    Thanks

Sama and son are the most common suffixes I think.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amjl81
    Sama and son are the most common suffixes I think.
    Alright. Normal form is Family name first, with given name second.

And by "son" I think you mean -san.

-sama SHOULDN'T be that common, considering what it means (person of MUCH importance).

I think you may be referring to many anime/manga that replicate "American" ideals. A key anime is FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist). In there, it's Edward Elric, not Elric Edward, which would be typical Japanese form.

The idea in Japan is that you call people by their first names if you become familiar with them. Also, don't judge by dubbed/subbed, unless for subbed you're listening to the Japanese. It's typically spoken/written (respectively) so Americans can understand it.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado's Avatar
    Thanks

The most common one's i've heard used are -san, as you both said, and then also the "cute, childish" type suffix (at least i think it's cute/childish i cant remember at the moment, i'll figure it out though) is -chan. As in my favorite anime series Steel Angel Kurumi, the second season, Kurumi is refered to as Kurumi-chan. Hey! Any mod.s out there that can clear up this issue of suffixes? LenMiyata, you usually have the answer to these type questions, well answers for the posts that i have seen you post on anyway... got the answer to this one?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Chinese/Japanese names are in the form of Family Name/Personal Name, though if it is a European/American name (such as FMA) it is common to list them in First Name/Last Name order.

common suffix (though the cultural honorifics don't translate well...)
    -sama (Usually translated as Lord, Princess, Prince, etc.)
    -san (Equivalent to a respectful Mr. or Mrs.)
    -chan (young boy/girl child, also used as a sign of affection with a close girl friend/boy friend)
    -kun (translates as 'The Honorable...' usually used with boys, or embarrassingly formal with girls)
    -onesan (big sister or Miss., but often used to indicate familiar relation ship with a older female)
    -oniisan (big brother, or familiar releationship with older male)
    -obasan (translates as old women, relationships can be Grandmother, Aunt, etc)
    -okasan (translates as old man, relationship can be Grandfather, Aunt)
    -ko (little? baby?, runt?)
    -sempai (translate as senior, used to indicate relationship with someone who is senior or more experianced)
    -sensai (translate as teacher, also used to indicate a professional title e.g. Dr. or Professor)
    -seisho (??) (translate as 'master/expert' e.g. master/champion of martial arts training)

This list is not complete, and no doubt there is some spelling and/or translation errors as well. We will have to wait for someone with more formal Japanese training to correct/expand this list...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Thanks LenMiyata, i knew you'd have an answer! I'm gonna write all this down as it's posted cause i really wanna know. I could use it in my anime -in the works- that i am creating that will hopefully be an actual anime someday... I can't wait! Well, anyway, as i said thanks again! (btw anyone know any links that could tell a full list of suffixes?)
    Last edited by AnimeAficianado; Jul 21, 2005 at 03:01 PM.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeAficianado
    Thanks LenMiyata, i knew you'd have an answer! I'm gonna write all this down as it's posted cause i really wanna know. I could use it in my anime -in the works- that i am creating that will hopefully be an actually anime someday... I can't wait! Well, anyway, as i said thanks again! (btw anyone know any links that could tell a full list of suffixes?)
    A dictionary, maybe?

That's probably the most reliable source.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast