Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux Question

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks

Linux Question

I was just woundering How do I get the Linux OS and how much is it?
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you just want the Unix-Linux environment it's free.
    You can also find Redhat and Fedora Operating Systems out there for non-commercial use.
    Commercial users, need licenses for certain Linux Products.

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I think a great way to get started with Linux is to try out the Knoppix distrubution. Basically, you download an ISO and burn it to CD. Then you boot off of the CD a working version of Linux. It doesn't write anything to your harddrive (thus leaving whatever OS you have installed alone) and will auto-detect most common hardware for you. It's a fun way to for a Linux newbie to play with Linux without going through the hassle of actually installing it.
    http://www.knoppix.net/
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    ooo, never heard of that~
    I'll try it out, and I'll see if I can use this to show people the power of Linux X3

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-paranoia
    ooo, never heard of that~
    I'll try it out, and I'll see if I can use this to show people the power of Linux X3
    lol I had heard about Linux but it wasnt till you came along that I really started to question Windows and Macs OSs
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

In addition to LINUX, there's another Open Source O.S. that predates LINUX, and was used to prototype Internet Protocol (IP), E-mail (SMTP), and the Apache Web Server. It also served as the original source for the Apple Macintosh OS10 kernal as well. This operating system is (of course) FreeBSD, and is available as a free off-the-Web install at http://www.freebsd.org
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks

My advice

There are a few distros around.

The best package of Linux Kernal + everything you'd want is SlackwareLinux. (www.slackware.com)

I started with version 3. Now it's on 10. They package the latest Kernal, latest KDE enviroment (like windows), Gnome, Blackbox and a few other GUI enviroments. The latest programming packages for C/C++, MySQL Server, Pearl, and a wack load of other stuff.

It's pretty easy to install. You can download the whole CD package (4 CDs, one of which is a bootable system CD which means it runs from the CD) the rest contain all the files that you may want to install. The menu based-installation is good for someone looking to save space or just go with a full install and fill your boots for the next 3 years

I don't like Fedora package, though I haven't tried the FreeBSD system

Also, since Linux source is under a GNU licence it means that just about anyone can download it and modify it for free. Most programs you'll find with Linux are open-source and keep updated and monitored by a community of programmers. There are office tools, games, etc all free to download.
    Last edited by jao; Jan 19, 2005 at 11:02 AM.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dang, i wanted to preach the praises of knoppix and slackware.

anyway either of these distribuions is grand. i personally would stay away from fedora b/c i have had some issues w/ it but others love it. and i find redhat to be more trouble than it is worth. but, se la vie (such is life) some ppl love red hat. its all about the personal preferances.

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast