Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: London 2012 (Summer Olympics)

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: London 2012 (Summer Olympics)

Paris lost by 4 votes (54:50).

There are alot of worries at the moment that the olympic games will be too expencive, and there are some debates about where some of the money is going to come from. But I think that we have a real opportunity at making sure that these olympic games don't leave us in debt for the next 20 years.

One of the key factors that won us the games is the notion of 'legacy'. The London olympic commitee intends to transform a large disused industrial site into the olympic ground, which can be used for many generations to come. I think this is very possible, and the new stadiums built will be a good source of revenue for East London that also creates a good number of jobs.

I'm confident that we have learned our own lessons about white elephants, and have learned enough about the failings of other olympic games, to make the 2012 olympics a success.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

forgive my ignorance folks, but how many hours difference is London time to Pacific Coast time, because I hate it to be like 2000 in Sydney, watching events that are one day late on NBC...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if this is a good source or not but Chirac appears to have taken the Olympic bid rather...personally.

Mr Chirac, whose relations with Mr Blair are at an all-time low, was caught out launching an astonishing attack on British food and trustworthiness at the weekend

He ridiculed Britain during talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder in Kalingrad.

A microphone picked up him saying: "The only thing they have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow.

"We can't trust people who have such bad food. After Finland it is the country with the worst food."

The ageing president, who will be out of power by the end of 2007, then attacked Nato and haggis.

Referring to ex-Nato leader and Scot Lord Robertson he said: "George Robertson made me try an unappetising Scottish dish, that is where our problem with Nato comes from."
    Sounds to me like someone might be a little miffed. It's kinda amusing considering that the #1 rated restaraunt in the world is in Britian. (The Fat Duck Bray, Berkshire, England )

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

That was from a few days ago (long before the olympic bid). But you're probably right about him being ticked off though. Afterall, he's lost the bid, lost the EU constitution, lost the support of his people (who want a more Brittish way of life) and has put farming subsidies back on the debate list after failing to falter the UK rebate.

Things aren't too good for Chirac.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Newbie Elfy may be famous one day Elfy may be famous one day Elfy's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats to London^^
    WOOT!
    I'm so proud of them!
    *Signature WAY WAY WAAAAY too big, maximum size is 450x110, please make the neccessary ajustments. -AO Staff*

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

uh ulfy you might want to fix your signature...

and as for rachel we are talking about the IOC giving London the right to host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, where the best atheletes from all over the world representing their country compete in different sports

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats to London, quite frankly I wanted them to win and I'm glad they did.
    I think they are going to do a good job with it and all the luck to them.
    I've always wanted to visit England, and now I have all the more of a reason to go.
    Just imagine, it would be the perfect year to introduce Cricket as an Olympic sport no? Since England (to my knowledge) created the game.

I heard that London said they were going to build an Olympic Park venue much like the one that was built for the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (where I live)
    That might of got it for them I believe, since the Sydney Olympics were such a sucess.
    As for paying off the debt, by building this park, it can be used after the games for many things for years and years to come. Sporting Events, Concerts, Tourism, Exhibtions, Conventions, Shows.
    Why the Royal Sydney Easter Show is held at Sydney Olympic Park every year, the Rudgy Super 12 is held there every year, and there's numerous footy games played there and serveal concerts and shows held there just to name a few.
    If London do that after the games, they'll have no worries I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    forgive my ignorance folks, but how many hours difference is London time to Pacific Coast time, because I hate it to be like 2000 in Sydney, watching events that are one day late on NBC...
    You have nothing to worry about mate, London is only about 3 or so hours in front of America. It's not as in front as Sydney is. For example, I'm typing this message at 5.36pm Thursday 7th July. It's about a 18 hour difference.
    Just think of me, whenever the Olympics are held in that part of the world, they are shown on TV in the morning in Australia, and I mean at like 2am. I never got to watch any of the Athens games. I'm exicited about the Beijing, because it's going to be the first Olympics in a while where I can actually watch them at a decent hour.
    Last edited by Hikari Sakurai; Jul 07, 2005 at 12:54 AM.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Newbie virginkid may be famous one day virginkid may be famous one day virginkid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esthered
    I think that it's awesome that London's hosting it. Afterall, they are very sport-inclined, especially soccer-wise. Paris lost by 1 vote though, but London really deserved it.
    Ara.. @_@ didn't they lose by 4 votes?

I feel kind of disappointed for paris though, their previous bid lost by an even smaller margin of 2 votes the last time they tried. But congrats to London! London definitely deserves it after over 60 long years of waiting.^-~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast