View Poll Results: variable or constant?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Variable

2 22.22%
  • Constant

4 44.44%
  • not sure about love/variables/constants

3 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Love a variable or a constant?

Newbie Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Love a variable or a constant?

well, since there is already a just "love" thread, i decided to make this a bit more specific. Is love a Variable or a constant? Can Love change over time...such as can you fall out of love with someone, or your love growing stronger for someone? or is love something that just is, neither growing nor shrinking, a constant not a variable.

something to think about... and id love to hear your responces!

Don't ever believe you dont deserve what you desire

<3 eternally TOL

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Love a variable or a constant?

Quote Originally Posted by Tivles of Light
    well, since there is already a just "love" thread, i decided to make this a bit more specific. Is love a Variable or a constant? Can Love change over time...such as can you fall out of love with someone, or your love growing stronger for someone? or is love something that just is, neither growing nor shrinking, a constant not a variable.

i understand u but i really don't know sorry

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Newbie Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light's Avatar
    Thanks

thats perfectly fine, i am not quite sure either but i think i am leaning towards variable...im just glad you understood me XD

Don't ever believe you dont deserve what you desire

<3 eternally TOL

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

"constant love" as you call it can sometimes be known as unconditional love
    the love between a child and its parent can never change or be broken
    there might be some shifts and conflicts that can harm the relationship between a parent and a child
    but because of unconditional love, well, not to sound corny or sappy, love is eternal and all that shit

as for "variable love"...
    well, it depends on the person
    depending on the relationship or the connection of the two people, love can either grow stronger or grow weaker
    it's possible to grow out of love, but it's also possible for the bond to become stronger

but what do I know?
    I've only been in love with one person and that's my girlfriend
    so I don't really know that much....
    I love my girlfriend.

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

yea well love is something hard to explain , have u actually been totally in luv?

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god
    yea well love is something hard to explain , have u actually been totally in luv?
    I currently am in love with my girlfriend
    our personalities and interests are almost completely the same
    our only differences is that she's white and I'm Asian
    she's all hyper and happy and I'm just lazy and mellow
    lol, well, they say that opposites attract
    but I guess our magnets are ****ed up or something
    because we stick together like glue
    I love my girlfriend.

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tivles of Light

Love is ... a constant variable ...hhahah

... but seriously, IMO Love is a fundemental emotion one rooted so deeply that it can be seen (in a more primal form) in animals ... in which case, the emotion comes close to being a constant (as any living thing can) ... animals are for the most part extremely loyal/loving when emotionally commited to us humans. Having simpler peceptions and a more "modest" intellectual capacity actually reinforces the emotional foundation of the animal ... thus greater constancy in the form of "Unconditional Love"

As for humans ... while we have these same primal emotions (and instinctual ties) ... our brain adds another dimension to the formula of love. Unlike more basic animals, humans have the ability and motivation to look beyond instinctual physical traits (as motivated by survival instinct) i.e. the dominant or most successful male (from a survival standpoint) has the advantage in male/female bonding.

We humans add to this mix a rational element which includes morals (is it right), reason (is it a good idea) and the expediency of reality (these are the choices). Now think of love as a fire ... and the intellect (our brain) as variable of either water or wood ... so, unlike the "simpler" animals with a constantly burning fire ... we humans by intellect can either "add wood" to the fire to sustain it or make it grow ... (example: you find that your moral base is in synch with that other, or you have common interests ... or in the case of the proverbial eve ... only one guy haha)

... or we can "add water" to the fire and lessen it or put it out altogether. ...(example: you find that your views are totally incompatible with this other ... say Devout Catholic vs. Ardent Athiest, or a lack of common interests)

Keep in mind though, when I say that the fire goes out ... I don't mean that emotion suddenly stops ..I mean to say that it is possible for a person to be "attracted" or "still attracted" to another but "out of love" (where love is the "total package so to speak"

or to put it another way ...

Basic animals + love are like uncovered lamps that are left on until the bulb burns out (the animal dies).

Humans + love are like this same lamp, but within a shade ... the shade represents our intellect. Now the lamp (emotions in general) burn constantly, but the shade alters and directs this light in various ways ... it can color it, focus it, direct it, diffuse it or if the shade is big enough block it completely (or nearly so).

So, in short, I would have to say that IMO love is an emotion and as such a potential constant (in that we can't consciously "turn it off" ... but variable in the sense that like the lamp shade, our intellect often shapes what we DO in regards to our emotions (like love).

Sam
    Last edited by SamIam; Dec 31, 2005 at 12:26 PM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam
    Love is ... a constant variable ...hhahah

... but seriously, IMO Love is a fundemental emotion one rooted so deeply that it can be seen (in a more primal form) in animals ... in which case, the emotion comes close to being a constant (as any living thing can) ... animals are for the most part extremely loyal/loving when emotionally commited to us humans. Having simpler peceptions and a more "modest" intellectual capacity actually reinforces the emotional foundation of the animal ... thus greater constancy in the form of "Unconditional Love"

As for humans ... while we have these same primal emotions (and instinctual ties) ... our brain adds another dimension to the formula of love. Unlike more basic animals, humans have the ability and motivation to look beyond instinctual physical traits (as motivated by survival instinct) i.e. the dominant or most successful male (from a survival standpoint) has the advantage in male/female bonding.

We humans add to this mix a rational element which includes morals (is it right), reason (is it a good idea) and the expediency of reality (these are the choices). Now think of love as a fire ... and the intellect (our brain) as variable of either water or wood ... so, unlike the "simpler" animals with a constantly burning fire ... we humans by intellect can either "add wood" to the fire to sustain it or make it grow ... (example: you find that your moral base is in synch with that other, or you have common interests ... or in the case of the proverbial eve ... only one guy haha)

... or we can "add water" to the fire and lessen it or put it out altogether. ...(example: you find that your views are totally incompatible with this other ... say Devout Catholic vs. Ardent Athiest, or a lack of common interests)

Keep in mind though, when I say that the fire goes out ... I don't mean that emotion suddenly stops ..I mean to say that it is possible for a person to be "attracted" or "still attracted" to another but "out of love" (where love is the "total package so to speak"

or to put it another way ...

Basic animals + love are like uncovered lamps that are left on until the bulb burns out (the animal dies).

Humans + love are like this same lamp, but within a shade ... the shade represents our intellect. Now the lamp (emotions in general) burn constantly, but the shade alters and directs this light in various ways ... it can color it, focus it, direct it, diffuse it or if the shade is big enough block it completely (or nearly so).

So, in short, I would have to say that IMO love is an emotion and as such a potential constant (in that we can't consciously "turn it off" ... but variable in the sense that like the lamp shade, our intellect often shapes what we DO in regards to our emotions (like love).

Sam

My brain hurts after reading that. lol Thats what i would have said just in simplier terms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast