View Poll Results: variable or constant?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Variable

2 22.22%
  • Constant

4 44.44%
  • not sure about love/variables/constants

3 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Love a variable or a constant?

Newbie Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light may be famous one day Tivles of Light's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Love a variable or a constant?

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam
    Love is ... a constant variable ...hhahah

... but seriously, IMO Love is a fundemental emotion one rooted so deeply that it can be seen (in a more primal form) in animals ... in which case, the emotion comes close to being a constant (as any living thing can) ... animals are for the most part extremely loyal/loving when emotionally commited to us humans. Having simpler peceptions and a more "modest" intellectual capacity actually reinforces the emotional foundation of the animal ... thus greater constancy in the form of "Unconditional Love"

As for humans ... while we have these same primal emotions (and instinctual ties) ... our brain adds another dimension to the formula of love. Unlike more basic animals, humans have the ability and motivation to look beyond instinctual physical traits (as motivated by survival instinct) i.e. the dominant or most successful male (from a survival standpoint) has the advantage in male/female bonding.

We humans add to this mix a rational element which includes morals (is it right), reason (is it a good idea) and the expediency of reality (these are the choices). Now think of love as a fire ... and the intellect (our brain) as variable of either water or wood ... so, unlike the "simpler" animals with a constantly burning fire ... we humans by intellect can either "add wood" to the fire to sustain it or make it grow ... (example: you find that your moral base is in synch with that other, or you have common interests ... or in the case of the proverbial eve ... only one guy haha)

... or we can "add water" to the fire and lessen it or put it out altogether. ...(example: you find that your views are totally incompatible with this other ... say Devout Catholic vs. Ardent Athiest, or a lack of common interests)

Keep in mind though, when I say that the fire goes out ... I don't mean that emotion suddenly stops ..I mean to say that it is possible for a person to be "attracted" or "still attracted" to another but "out of love" (where love is the "total package so to speak"

or to put it another way ...

Basic animals + love are like uncovered lamps that are left on until the bulb burns out (the animal dies).

Humans + love are like this same lamp, but within a shade ... the shade represents our intellect. Now the lamp (emotions in general) burn constantly, but the shade alters and directs this light in various ways ... it can color it, focus it, direct it, diffuse it or if the shade is big enough block it completely (or nearly so).

So, in short, I would have to say that IMO love is an emotion and as such a potential constant (in that we can't consciously "turn it off" ... but variable in the sense that like the lamp shade, our intellect often shapes what we DO in regards to our emotions (like love).

Sam
    that does make sense, but do you think that love can be controlled by human intellect? I think that Love seems to be above just humans capacity to control. i think instead of humans "adding wood" or "adding water" they simply try to ignore the love or simply do not wish to follow their emotions, or have other emotions that confuse them. ultimately i tend to agree with you, but perhaps love isnt whats being changed but an individuals distractions are just interfering

* actually agree with you to some extent i just like being devils advocate :P

Don't ever believe you dont deserve what you desire

<3 eternally TOL

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tivles of Light
    that does make sense, but do you think that love can be controlled by human intellect? I think that Love seems to be above just humans capacity to control. i think instead of humans "adding wood" or "adding water" they simply try to ignore the love or simply do not wish to follow their emotions, or have other emotions that confuse them. ultimately i tend to agree with you, but perhaps love isnt whats being changed but an individuals distractions are just interfering

* actually agree with you to some extent i just like being devils advocate :P
    I think the key word you used is "controlled" ... our intelligence allows us to control our behaviors, it does not stop us from feeling what we feel. Thus, when I say that the person has "fallen out of love" it means that there is at least one "condition" that conflicts with the attraction we feel for another and to a certain extent, the two forces battle for ultimate outcome ... do we love despite and accept, or separate due to the differences being to great?

Emotions in themselves, and in particular the strong ones (love and hate) are, not something we can turn on and off ... but I have found that such emotions can (though difficult) be "redirected" by force of intellect. Not stopped or cancelled, they are too fundemental and basic to our natures to do that, but like a dam... the flow can be moderated or redirected.

Have you seen the first "Zorro" movie with Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins? If so, compare the character of the old zorro with the young protege, and note how each character handles the very strong emotions of love and hate.

Or perhaps, have you ever taken Aikido? The basis for this martial art is the redirection of your opponents energies. So, the intellect is like Mr. Miyagi in the Karate kid, small, wise and experienced ... his opponent (emotions) is large, powerful ... but not so smart ... now the wise Miyagi knows that his opponent is stronger than himself, but by technique and experience he is able to dodge the powerful but clumsy blow and use leverage and his opponents momentum to thow his opponent off balance and thereby gain the upperhand.

So in short, I don't think we ever stop feeling (we are animals after all, just very smart ones), but as we get older and more experienced, we humans can learn to control how we EXPRESS such emotions through the use of intellect and reason ... and like the lampshade either illuminate or darken, but not turn off.

Sam
    Last edited by SamIam; Jan 01, 2006 at 12:54 AM.

Newbie darksolovely may be famous one day darksolovely may be famous one day darksolovely's Avatar
    Thanks

both..
    "Tenchi, what is that woman from Okayama doing coming out of your toilet?" ~ Sakuya

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

There is one great thing in the world, that is-
    To love and to be loved.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

HECK YES RAVE_GRIP!!!

anyway...

love is love...

love cannot be compared to anything else...

it grows bigger than the trees

higher than the stars

wider than the seas

lasts longer than time

love is...

love

love is...

us

love is...

forever and more... and even longer than that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2