Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M theory\String theory

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

String Theory, on paper, appears to solve the contradictions between Quantum Mechanics and Relativity. The biggest problem with String Theory, as described, occurs on a scale so small that it may be impossible to test for. And a idea that is impossible to test, with no practical applications starts sounding more like a religious concept then a scientific one...

Link to PBS Nova webpage on 'The Elegant Universe'
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jan 19, 2005 at 07:45 PM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Errrr...ughhh.....ummmm...............i dont know...ive never heard of such a theory before...nor do i wanna learn about it now...cuz i wont grasp the concepts or nething else

Newbie daitokei may be famous one day daitokei may be famous one day daitokei's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have observed many people casually stating their opinions on this subject with very little detailed logic behind their statements. It was always suggested to me by physicist that if you can't explain it mathimatically, then you don't know what you are talking about.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    this is true, however the reason we can't explain it mathematically is because we can't understand quantum mechanics, few can. Alot of what we know, we read from others, and most people don't have the capacity to understand the mathematics of quantum mechanics. Besides these are theories, they can't be proven and yet they can't be proven false.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daitokei
    I have observed many people casually stating their opinions on this subject with very little detailed logic behind their statements. It was always suggested to me by physicist that if you can't explain it mathimatically, then you don't know what you are talking about.
    Orbital mechanics requires a lot of mathematics in order to figure out, but it doesn't follow that I need to understand this:

to do this.

(Rodion landing the Apollo 14 Lunar Module on the lunar surface--Fra Mauro Highlands--using Orbiter Space Flight simulation http://www.orbitersim.com after spending 3 1/2 days in trans-lunar coast--actually it was just 40 minutes because I engaged time-acceleration in the simulation)

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting, hmmmm

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    There are way too many opinions on the theory, I for one, cannot put all of my thoughts into words, it is just to vast. The theory will remain a theory until proven otherwise. We live in a scientific age, where you need proof in order to validate your theories. Nobody has any proof as of yet.

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    It does sound possible, and pretty neat.

The only real things that I could see coming from this:
    1. Being able to "jump" dementions using gravity.
    2. Or perhaps someday somone will develop the technology to alter these strings to change in some way, allowing us to defy what we now percieve to be the laws of nature.

So if we are to do anything with this theory it would ultimately change our "reality" in some way.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast