Thread: Madden vs. Espn

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Madden vs. Espn

Madden vs. ESPN.

A lot of people have different opinions on it. Mostly everyone I have talked to lean towards Madden, but there are still those crazy ESPN loyalists.

I personally never liked ESPN, while I have been playing Madden since Madden 1999. However, until a few months ago, I never actually did play ESPN. So, I didn't give it a fair fight, but I didn't like it. In fact, after I played it, I couldn't understand why anyone would want it.

So what does everyone else think? ESPN deserves the twenty dollar price tag it has, in my opinion, and if I were to buy it, it would be because I'm dirt poor and don't have 30 more bucks for Madden.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    Haha, I wouldnt call myself an ESPN loyalist but I definately enjoyed playing the 2003 version for about 3 or 4 months straight this time last year. Honestly I've never been a fan of Madden, but the Madden versions I've played have all been for PS2 which I absolutely detest when it comes to sports games. I think the game you play first you have a bias for because thats the game you get use to, thats the style you adapt to and its hard to stop and pick up a different style in the same genre.

I enjoy the ESPN baseball game as well, so its not just football. I've been playing these things since their Dreamcast days so its been a while for me also. I can see your argument for Madden, but I think mine is basically the opposite.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium
    I think the game you play first you have a bias for because thats the game you get use to, thats the style you adapt to and its hard to stop and pick up a different style in the same genre.
    You make a valid point. That could be one of the reasons why I detest Espn, but I honestly thought it was overrated. A number of people I talked to told me about the graphics and the gameplay, but when I actually picked up the controller, it was nothing special. The gameplay sucked. I remember intercepting a pass and I had no clue how I did it. It just kind of happened. The running was terrible as well.

What about the controls? I was flagged a thousand times for delay of game, because the damn thing wouldn't let me pick a play. The plays had the letters on the screen, but I couldn't read them, while my friends were telling me to press the right trigger button (Xbox controller). The controls sucked. I admit the Xbox controls for Madden also take some time getting used to, but I learned those quickly (basic controls atleast). Unlike Madden, no matter how many times it would explained to me, I couldn't even pick a play out of a weird playbook, that has no good plays. I've heard the franchise mode is worse, and let's not forget, since it comes out sooner than Madden, the rosters will not be up to date.

I don't know if Espn has anything going for it, except the price tag.

Also, I agree with you that playing sports games on the PS2 isn't so good. I don't know about everyone out there, but I never could use the analog stick on the PS2 controller. I first played Madden on N64, and then on Gamecube when it came out. I picked up 05 on the Xbox, after the damn cheap GC controllers kept breaking.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Well, I've always been a diehard fan of EA Games, going way back to the Madden '94 and '97 games that I used to play as a kid. Nowadays I busy myself by playing NCAA '04, Madden '05 and Madden '04. I have no problems with ESPN football, but IMHO Madden is just -finger motion- that much better than ESPN. The playcalling is easier, player models are a bit better, and hey... there are no commercials for Madden that feature everyone's favorite dumbass, Terrell Owens.

Speakin' of Terrell Owens and the Eagles... did anyone see them get creamed by the Steelers on Sunday? Way to go Pittsburgh!