Thread: makin' my computer

Otaku linx88 may be famous one day linx88 may be famous one day
    Thanks

makin' my computer

so i'm planning to build my own computer and was wonder whats the difference between all of the empty towers. do some hold more things or someting like that?
    www.myspace.com/fallabletruth

92% of teens moved to rap. if u are part of the 8% that rock out every day, put this on your sig!!!!

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    All the empty towers?? do yo mean the size of them?

Some towers are made for more upgradable capabilities than others.
    Also, do you mean the empty slots in the towers? Older towers have slots for Hard disk drives and even older ones for soft disk drives. Also for more than one slot could be there for 2 hard disk drives.

Also the manufacturer makes different sizes... and if the same manufacturer made two different sizes, there is usually a reason.(look it up for specific capabilities on altivista)

And if youre wondering what the difference of various towers you could find at a parts store, there are a lot of differences, but not many. (someone else help, cause im a bit beyond myself in this area) But i think that different towers would have no real difference in them. The parts you install into them would be. Like the motherboard, disk drives, hard drives, etc... Also the style would be different.

I can't give you more info unless you clarify your question.
    Last edited by youth_anime_fan; Feb 05, 2005 at 12:11 PM.

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    most, if not all, mid tower and full tower cases out on the market that you'll see support the standard mobo size. placements of drives, mobo, and psu are relatively constant so normally, you wouldn't have to worry if components will fit in the case. for the most part, however, components should fit without a problem.

the key differences between these cases that you'll have to look for, granted that you're looking for a midtower or full tower is construction build quality, amount of space to manuever in, cooling and ventilation, and subtle features that you'll need/want.

there's also the sff market which are tiny cases with tiny mobos; if you want a small computer, then you may want to look into this. there are a little more restrictions with these cases, but overall, they'll get the job done as most features are integrated within the mobo.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    *cough* proprietary! *cough*

maverickkvns has a valid point, HOWEVER, these "nano" towers have one issue. THEY COST! the motherboards are proprietary to the case so you can't go shopping around for the best deal. you are stuck with what the manufacturer offers.

this is something to consider as proprietary hardware is almost universaly (with verry few exceptions) much more expensive.

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Another difference between different cases, is the placement (and number) of cooling fans, and the size (and quality) of power supplies. Beware of cheap power supplies, as many have been shown in online review to only supply 40% to 60% of their rated power. (Something to consider if your planning on using a power hunger fast CPU and bleeding edge video card...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku