Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts, anyone.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Martial Arts, anyone.

Hello everyone,
    The reason why I am starting this thread is to tribute Martial art techniques from different countries. Let me start off by giving a brief intro to the martial arts that I learnt in my country. It is called Swarga Chakra Martial Arts (literally means heavenly wheel martial arts). I was trained in a temple town known as Madurai, India. Other forms of martial arts present in this South Asian country (India) are Kalari (Mother of Martial arts) and Thang Ta (The Art of the Sword and Spear). We also practice some Southeast Asian martial arts, mainly those from China. In Madurai, we were trained near a temple and the training platform was on water (rectangular Wooden planck, which had four pillars in each corner). Each student had their name engraved on a stone tile in front of the temple, where their are asked to sit to perform Yoga and meditation. I would like to give the names of my best friend with whom I practiced martial arts: Ruru, Kuru (they were twin brothers), sloka and Haruki (he is Japanese BTW). I have so many stories to tell, but I would love to hear from you as well. Please tell if you are trained by any martial arts and any interesting stories that you would like to share. Also, let me know if you have any questions regarding the martial arts of India. I will be glad to answer.
    Thank you. Cannot wait to hear from you guys.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Martial Arts, anyone.

I took Karate, Judo, and Tai Kwan Do. I think they were all good. I learned to defend my self but so far in my life I haven't had too. Hopefully I never will.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

I study Gung Fu (a Southern Chinese martial art) under Master Phillip Selmon. He's amazing. He studied in South China under Lu Shan, a Chinese royal. His stories alone make studying Gung Fu a great experience.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I still take Taekwondo, Korean art of course, I've played around with grappling, basic judo, and a little Chong Nu. (don't ask, 'cause I don't know.) It's fun, I like it.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Shotokan, basic Okinawan martial art. Goju KioKai which means as I understand it closed fist open hand. My class had these two arts just kind of mixed together. But, I got stationed in Idaho a couple years ago and just havent found a dojo here that I like. All of them here are Tai Kwon do and it is just a bit too tourny oriented.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been taking Jeet kune do (which means, of course, way or art of the intercepting fist) for about five years now. I found a teacher in my area who offered private lessons, as well as a very small group setting... (In my class there are about four of us at a time)

It's a challenging martial art, I must say. It's full body contact, as well... Which means we get the crap beat out of us. But we also focus on strengthing our minds - LOTS of meditation and reflection. My master always says - "You must utilize your greatest asset or you will fail yourself."

I enjoy it - It's changed my life in many ways. And I am hoping to get into caporeia soon... I just haven't found any classes or groups yet in my area.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Martial Arts, anyone.

Nice to hear from you guys. Excellent, Spike'sRose-garu (garu has the same meaning as -chan (Japanese) in my language, It means respected or honored). Jeet kune do seems to be a really cool martial art. And yes, meditation and contemplation are crucial in martial arts training. Back home, in Madurai, we used to perform yoga, asanas, and meditation outside the temple (It was called a warrior temple because back then when there was Caste system in India, the warrior caste used to train here). It is a very ancient temple. That is why, Madurai is called the temple town (there are lots of temples and shrines).

Newbie Geijetsuka may be famous one day Geijetsuka may be famous one day Geijetsuka's Avatar
    Thanks

i took a form of japanese karate called wasenru. and im about to join a kung fu dojo.
    Some times...I wonder if any of us exist at all.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast