Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are martial arts more harmful or helpful?

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Are martial arts more harmful or helpful?

In my opinion, martial arts are both, in that improperly used martial arts only bring pain and suffering, whereas properly used martial arts allows one to center one's self.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think martial arts is educational, you learn to control youre mind ( wich what i need.)

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    If you learn mrtial arts the right way under a good teacher there is a very large chance
    you will not use it for unnecessary violence.

Newbie chilos345 may be famous one day chilos345 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i think its more helpful. i`m learnin right now, and nobody gets more harmed then helped.

Newbie Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    If you learn mrtial arts the right way under a good teacher there is a very large chance
    you will not use it for unnecessary violence.
    I think Hassun is right. My teacher was a great man, and I've never used martial arts for unnecesary violence. It really helps you to control yourself, in many ways.

Cuando oigas a un niño preguntar "¿Por que el sol viene y se va?"
    Dile "Porque en esta vida no hay luz sin obscuridad"

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    If you can believe it, I'm a black belt in Taekwondo. (Dark? Disiplined? OMG!!!11!!) And I'm proud to say I've never been in a fight, and I don't plan to be. Some people are real ignorant idiots with martial arts, but fortunatly most of the students that I train with are down to earth, friendly people. Only in the hands of pompus dumbasses could they ever be considered, harmful, dangerous, or threatening. It all depends on the artist that decides whether you consider it a menace or not.

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Black Belt in Taekwando isn't dangerous anyway

And from the sounds of it we all share the same opinion. There have been known teachers who actually promote getting into fights, and the odd student who will use what they've learned in technique without considering the mind.

For example, a student I know who is a really good fighter had someone steal something not that important during a hockey game. This person beat the guy up pretty bad. I will note that he was a brown in Shi do ryu karate. I sparred with him before and he is very fast and good. The police got involved and he was kick out of his club,

That is an example of a student gone wrong. Was he more dangerous because of his training? Yes. Luckily he stopped when the other person went down. But that doesn't mean he should have acted the way he did. A regular person may have swung as hard and as fast as they could have injuring himself and the other person pretty badly.

There is the rare case of students using their training wrongly. As an instructor, you have a responciblity to train the mind and look for people whom could do that sort of thing.

I think it is safe to put anyone in martial arts, though I have noticed with most karate and taekwando clubs their instructors usually are in it for the money. I blame this on the amount of TKD/Karate instructors out there.

[J]

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Maybe the instructors you've experienced. Our school demands respect of others and yourself we repeat an oath at the beginning and ending of the class reminding us we should never misuse martial arts. It's sad that that there are poor instructors out there that really don't care about there students, and are only in for themselves. That's the only reason a topic like this would be brought up. But I'm not going to point fingers.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast