Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Matter of Honor

Newbie Stormraven may be famous one day Stormraven may be famous one day
    Thanks

Question A Matter of Honor

I read alot of fiction. Probably more than I should. Something I've tripped over again and again is when an author describes a character one way, and then has them behave in a way directly contradicting that description. Normally I shrugg and move on but it particularly steams me when the subject is integrity or honor.

I give as an example a recent scenario where a man, knowing that a woman was at least half drunk, declined her invitation to bed because he was, quote 'an honorable gentlman' - until, as she continued to invite, he became sufficiently interested that he merrily bedded her without a second though then or later to his supposed honor.

At any rate it irritated me enough that I got to thinking. Honor as a way of life is something I only seem to come across now and then in fantasy or military SF, but mainly in anime. (Or *shudder* Romance, and they give it a bad name.) More often it's invoked in name only. It's starting to feel like no one even knows what the word means anymore.

So, here's my question for anyone who cares to answer: What does honor mean to you and does it have a place in modern life?

Bonus points if you can give a real life example of someone you've noticed acting with honor.

Newbie superblaster may be famous one day superblaster may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Thats pretty interesting, but what is considered honorable nowadays? If you've noticed, over the last couple of years, manners has changed so much. To me, manners and honor are very important. I guess anything chivilrous would be considered honorable, integrity as you mentioned and loyalty.

Thanks
    I guess I need to clarify the question.

How do you define honor?

Your right superblaster, manners have changed, almost unrecognizably, which I think is part of what makes honor harder to define. Honor is simpler when there are clearly defined rules of behavior. But so much these days is "do your own thing" and seems to forget that no choice we make is without consquences to others.

And chivalry is another of those words that has lost a clear definition.

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honour in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves"

Ten cookies if you know whos that ques from.
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Socrates.

Of course, all human vices strengthen themselves too. Guess that's where free will comes in.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Honor is such a complex notion. but i think the socrates quote helps a lot. Being what you appear to be, not living in deception, doing what must be done, despite the repercussions, doing what you say you'll do, despite what may interfere, upholding your virtues and values - even unto your death.

The end is important in all things.

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    *Hands Stormraven ten cookies*and I'll be quoteing him again

Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live. Socrates, from Plutarch, How a Young Man Ought to Hear Poems
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, for me, honor IS integrity. Namely, they are equals, you cannot have integrity without honor, and you cannot have honor without integrity. Back when I used to fight alot, I would keep my integrity in the fight, by namely, not using weapons (the only time I used a weapon was if it was brought to the fight, you could call it just desserts), or striking without warning (i.e. surprise attacks). To cut short, honor and integrity follow someone, who at the end of their life, can look back and see, that their moral standard, and their (to quote naruto) nindo, was not compromised. Everyone has a walk of life. To have honor and integrity is to live your walk of life without regrets.

But that's just my way of seeing things...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast