Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: -Mediocrity and Dubbing-

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks

-Mediocrity and Dubbing-

I don't intend to do a sub vs. dub thread here, though it may appear that way. Rather, I was wondering if anyone else, who is primarily a fan of dubbing, or at the very least, can stand to watch dubbed anime, is fed up with what I believe to be very poor dubbing on the part of those who license anime in the states. I feel the quality and techniques associated with dubbing have not gotten better with time, but quite the contrary. Is anyone else also repulsed by this mediocrity associated with dubbing in anime?

If so, why haven't "they" been able to get it right?
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    I myself enjoy dubbing. I had a bad experience with Gravitation, japanese for four hours. I enjoy subs, but dubbing is better. I must say that dubbing hasnt gotten better. But I do prefer it.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey, well said. I sympathize with you wholeheartedly.
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Newbie kauki_smilz may be famous one day kauki_smilz may be famous one day kauki_smilz's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'm a sub fan. too often when they dub series, the characters lose the very soul that made them who and what they are. there are, of course, good dubs (ie - please save my earth, ranma 1/2, heroic legend arslan). but most of the time, i'm a sub girl. i like to hear the original japanese dialouge and put my language skills to use. but that's just me

serving drooling fangirls everywhere, one bishie at a time...

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    I am a dubb fan and I feel it has improved over the years. It depends on how you watch your anime. I think that all the dubbs that are shows on cable tv : example, Yugi Oh, Pokemon, One Piece, Beyblade, have awful dubbs....But, series on dvds have gotten better. I have to say that I don't watch all of the series I rent or I own in English, but half of them I do. In some circumstances, I prefer the dubb to the subb. Recently, I feel that ADV puts out pretty decent dubbs. I watch Chrono Crusade dubbed, like it much more than the orginal. Ok, they used Tiffany Grant yet again to do a voice, but that doesn't matter much

I support anime dubbs.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrastar
    I am a dubb fan and I feel it has improved over the years. It depends on how you watch your anime. I think that all the dubbs that are shows on cable tv : example, Yugi Oh, Pokemon, One Piece, Beyblade, have awful dubbs....But, series on dvds have gotten better. I have to say that I don't watch all of the series I rent or I own in English, but half of them I do. In some circumstances, I prefer the dubb to the subb. Recently, I feel that ADV puts out pretty decent dubbs. I watch Chrono Crusade dubbed, like it much more than the orginal. Ok, they used Tiffany Grant yet again to do a voice, but that doesn't matter much

I support anime dubbs.
    I feel the same way as Electrastar, some of the tv anime dubs suck. Its mostly the kiddy tv stuff thats the worst as Electrastar mentioned. Maybe kids arent picky?? I like the yu yu hakusho, inuyasha dubs and some other adult swim dubs.

Maybe Hardedge, your watching the wrong stuff?? Just buy the dual language dvds and choose what you like best!!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    I agree with 'Edge on the superiority of dubbing.
    I have never seen a dubbed anime were the voices were actually better that the originals.

But bubbing has become better in my opinion. Cowboy Bebop is a good example of that.
    Last edited by Hassun; Jan 15, 2005 at 12:03 PM.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    I agree with 'Edge on the superiority of dubbing.
    I have never seen a dubbed anime were the voices were actually better that the originals.

But bubbing has become better in my opinion. Cowboy Bebop is a good example of that.

I gotta second that. Bebops dubbing was a prime example of "good dubbing".......FLCL's dub work wasnt half bad either.....
    Last edited by narrator; Jan 15, 2005 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast