Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: -Mediocrity and Dubbing-

Newbie cflnut may be famous one day cflnut may be famous one day cflnut's Avatar
    Thanks
    I prefer dubbed to subtitled mostly for the fact that I find the subtitles to flash by to fast to read them. I do tend to agree that dubbing has gotten better over the years. However there are still some out there that are pretty bad. Pokemon and Beyblade are good examples of that. Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z I find are some one of the better ones. Most of the problem that comes with dubbing is the censorship laws that come in to effect. Thing you can or can't say or do in one country that you can in another country. This really only come in to effect in the serialized anime’s that are played on TV. Were as the direct to DVD anime’s are a lot better in quality for a number of different reasons. The biggest reason is that they come in an uncut format. No scenes removed and it is a direct translation from the original Japanese. Also the direct to DVD anime’s are treated as if they were a motion picture which means that the censorship laws are different.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Well, I am a sub fan, meself. I agree with Hardedge on the fact that dubbing has started to suck more and more on the mainstream, quickly produced anime. Although I think that other animes have pretty decent dubbing still, like Bebop (as before mentioned), Last Exile and Haibane Renmei. I liked the dubbing for those series a lot.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Make no mistake about my post, the Cowboy Bebop dubs aren't anywhere near the subs, it's just that they're not bad...

EDIT:
    I forgot Armitage, the dubs weren't bad either (with Kiefer Sutherland as Ross Syllabus and Elizabeth Berkley as Armitage)
    Last edited by Hassun; Jan 16, 2005 at 11:55 AM.

Otaku Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge may be famous one day Hardedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    I find all of your arguments quite intriguing. As for Bebop, I wonder how such an "old" series was dubbed so well, when series after it are dubbed so poorly. I wonder if the quality of the series then, has something to do with it...
    I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely -- Beethoven

Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play -- Kant

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I have seen differing standards of dubbing. Dubbing to me really depends if the voice-over actors were good in the series that they did. If in the case of a really bad dub, I always try to find a sub.

So... if the actors are good, yes the dub can be good as well.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Love hina dubbs... horrible.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderabbit
    Love hina dubbs... horrible.
    Ahh, I like taht dub!!

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just to bring up bad subs for a moment, my friend bought a bootleg set of Grappler Baki at a comic convention 2 years back and it was the most Godawful subtitle job I've ever seen. So horrible in fact, it scared him straight and now he says "no" to bootlegs. Here's an example... Baki was in a forest fighting a Baboon Demon....then the demon stops and says to him "I'm the greatest and most dangerous feature in the woods!" ........ I'm assuming he was really meant to say "creature" not feature....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast