Thread: Mobile Pentium III/Laptop issue

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Mobile Pentium III/Laptop issue

My laptop has a Mobile PIII chip that does all the normal speed throttling like all Mobile Intel chips. Thats all fine if I were using my battery, but that died some time ago. I thought that it automatically turned off speed throttling when plugged into AC power, but I just tested it at only 533 (its a 1.13 chip). It does eventually run up to full speed when I'm really pushing it- running photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, and firefox at the same time, but this the chip will strain for a bit before getting up to full speed (really annoying).

I don't even have the battery installed, so it can not give the chip a false reading. If i'm running from wall juice all the time, why the hell would I want the chip running at half speed at any time?

Any way around this? I checked the bios settings, and alls good there.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mobile Pentium III/Laptop issue

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I assume your running Windows XP (???). What's your Control Panel Power Option setting, (which indirectly sets the Windows O.S. power saving options...) Make sure it's set to 'Always On' or one of the other desktop settings...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mobile Pentium III/Laptop issue

Thanks for the response. I seem to have the ability to end threads with my comments, so I wasn't sure if I'd get a response.

I'm running XP home with SP2. My system profile is, and has been since my battery melt-down, "always on".

I might not have made it clear, but the chip does not respond to processor demand in a timely fashion. It will struggle for a random amount of time (from 1min to half an hour), before getting up to full speed.

But I think I know the problem. A long time ago I had to re-set the heatsink and thermal control for the chip. The OEM standoffs were soldered on with cheap solder, which melted off and produced heat related shutoffs (could have been what killed my battery). I cold-welded the heatsink back on, but most likely set it too far from the chip, or should have replace the thermal pad. Now, I bet the thermostat errantly registers the core temp of the chip.

Then again, this is a guess. Any ideas?