Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mona Lisa...

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Ahhh. This is interesting. I never knew it was a portrait. Just thought it was a painting. But I still dont understand.

This portrait is of only a woman. Yet...It's a masterpiece. I've only gotten theories.
    *Sigh* I'll say it again--it is a technical artistic masterpiece because of how he painted it. The way he blended the colors, and the lighting--no one has been able to replicate the way da Vinci painted. This is true for all his works, not just this one. And please, stop referring to her as an 'ugly woman'. That's not only ignorant, but not very open-minded. Like Arianna said, standards of beauty were different then; and this painting was unlike anything anyone had ever seen. That's why it is a masterpiece. If you use your argument of 'she's just a woman, why is it famous', you would have to use that for everything, like Monet and O'Keefe. They're just pictures of people and flowers, why are they so great? It's all in the technique and how people feel when they look at it. Some of it is a matter of perspetive, but mostly it's because artisits have the talent to make their work come to life.

EDIT: sorry, I was still typing this as Arianna was answering

And I remember now, at the top of my lungs in my arms, she dies, she dies.

Controlling you through a chip in your butt since 2004

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Eheh....i guessin ur refering to me ffgirl? LoL....sry, didnt mean to hurt neones feelings about the picture...jus trying to get people to lighten up thats all ;D...neway...i guess if u look at it that way...the Mona Lisa is probably prized cuz of what ffgirl said...

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    If it would help notice that she doesn't have any eyebrows. (There are alot of theories on that too.) If you add eyebrows to the picture you end up with a very charming woman.

It's a masterpeice because it is one. I'm not trying to be facetious, it is. As FFgirl mentions the techniques, how it is painted, the background. If I could paint like that I would be a millionaire.

There is a reason Da Vinci was considered a master in his own time and it wasn't just that he had powerful friends.
    I love Marcel Duchamp's two Mona Lisa Dada derivatives...

"Mona Lisa with Moustache"

and my personal favorite...

"Shaved"

The first one is simply the Mona Lisa with a moustache

The second one is just the Mona Lisa, but instead of the label "Mona Lisa", it had a large title beneath it..."Shaved" ("Risee" in French), and it sounded very naughty/vulgar in France, so it caused quite a stir there in the 30's hehehe. XD

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    LOL! Good question. I wish I knew too. I see nothign special at all about this painting. I took an Art Appreciation class last year and my professor hyped it up so much, to the point where about half the class was annoyed I think. I dont know I myself am not all the impressed with it, I dont know why it gets all the loved. Maybe because of Di Vinci, who knows. Its just another painting to me, but to some....

We all have our loves I guess.

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think that it's one that has to be seen in person in order to fully appreciate the technique da Vinci used. Pictures in books don't do it justice, so I can kind of understand why some people think it looks like any other painting. But the fact that no one quite knows how he did it is still pretty impressive.

And I remember now, at the top of my lungs in my arms, she dies, she dies.

Controlling you through a chip in your butt since 2004

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ffgirl23
    I think that it's one that has to be seen in person in order to fully appreciate the technique
    Hmmm, I would love to view Mona Lisa in person. I agree.
    I don't have any clue on why Mona Lisa is the most famous painting, but I do see a beautiful woman in the painting. I'm still confused ..!! No one knows why yet ?>_<
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hehe. Lots of people are passionate over an artists work, ne? I believe that this portrait is quite beautiful. The detail is baffling.

But the woman. I guess in their time she was considered beauty.
    Seduced by Flesh

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    some people have weird taste in art. something that can't be helped

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast