Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Hi-Jinx from the Chinese Legal System

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

More Hi-Jinx from the Chinese Legal System

Previously QNN reported the story of a man who was killed over a non-existant sword: Virtual Sword Causes Real Death

Today QNN brings you another story out of China where a man was jailed and beated for a murder that never happened

Jailed 'Killer' Freed After Wife Turns Up Alive

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese man jailed and badly beaten for his wife's murder has been freed after she turned up not only alive but with another husband, domestic media said on Monday, revealing a brutal arbitrariness to China's legal system.

She Xianglin's wife, Zhang Zaiyu, disappeared after a domestic dispute in 1994 and when a woman's body was found in a local reservoir, She was detained on suspicion of killing his wife, the China Daily said.

The body was so decomposed it could not be identified, but a local court found She, a former part-time police officer from central Hubei province, guilty of murder and sentenced him to death.

A provincial court later commuted the sentence to 15 years in prison.

She, 39, was coerced into confessing to her murder and badly beaten in prison, the China Daily said.

International human rights groups say police torture is widespread in China and that suspects are held for long periods without trial. But it is rare for a victim, or the domestic media, to go public about police brutality.

She told the Beijing News that when he was first apprehended, police took him to a remote house and interrogated him for 11 days. He was given just two bowls of rice a day, nearly no water, prevented from sleeping and threatened with death.

"A policeman put his gun to my head and said, 'Believe me, I could shoot you right now'," She was quoted as saying from a prison hospital bed, where he was receiving a physical check before being released on Friday.

He said he did not remember making a confession, though the local court that ruled on his case was told he had.

The China Daily said photographs published since She's release showed he had been severely beaten while in jail and his legs and fingers broken.

Zhang resurfaced in late March in eastern Shandong province, where she had gone in 1994 and later married a local man, the China Daily said.

She said he wanted compensation for his years in jail and justice to be done.

"I want those officials involved in my conviction punished," he was quoted as saying.

Comments?
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, that is called police brutality in America, something that also exists here.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    yes, less extreme tho pyoro, stuff that happens there most people don't even find out about. People get executed for crimes they never comitted.

I just wonder how the man's wife can sleep at night knowing they thought she was "dead" and her husband (no matter how much she never really liked him) was beaten and almost killed for her "death".
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm willing to bet he won't get much interms of either sueing or charging those who convicted him. Any judicial system that could do that to a man is not likely to punish it's self for it.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    is it just me or are there gender role reversals in Reuters article, do they change gender or am I just so damn tired that male and female seem the same. Also, I can attest to that, one of our professors here at GT was held in China for over 3 years until they finally let him out. Its freaking crazy.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNi
    is it just me or are there gender role reversals in Reuters article, do they change gender or am I just so damn tired that male and female seem the same.

The confusion comes from the fact that the man's name is She Xianglin. When you read "She" in the article it's the man's name and not the feminine pronoun.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    While false arrest doesn't seem to be uncommon, it's not often that the crime never even happened. At least, I haven't heard of something like that happening recently. Which leads me to believe the Chinese legal system either 1) is too sloppy or 2) doesn't really care what it does or who it affects.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    man, does that still happen, jailed for something that didn't happen, it feels bad, really bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast