Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard dies after plugging in graphics card??!!!

Newbie tsunade may be famous one day tsunade may be famous one day tsunade's Avatar
    Thanks

Motherboard dies after plugging in graphics card??!!!

It's been awhile since I've posted here so this is a tough one!! It's been stumping me but I thought there SHOULD be some great techie here to answer this *and if there isn't....*

OK on to the prob! This is on a friends computer so you will have to go without the super details! He has a P4 motherboard it's an ASUS, it DOES have onboard graphics, with windows XP pro NOT with SP2. He plugs it up, install windows all seems fairly well, but he does NOT have his new AGP graphics card plugged in, so he decides to put it in, shuts down, opens the case puts in the card turns it back on and... absolutely NOTHING. No start up, no noise, no picture of ANY kind! He thinks OH @#*@ turns everything off removes the card and thinks 'hey that will fix it' turns it on and...NOTHING. It's like the whole motherboard is fried chicken!! He is now on the second of the same motherboard which he fried the SAME way! Ok so what is his prob? Now super techies is the time to show me how much you know!!!

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Motherboard dies after plugging in graphics card??!!!

Was he properly grounded (i.e. an ESD mat or wrist band)? It only takes 10 volts of electricity to fry any component (an static shock that can be felt/seen maybe in upwards of 50,000 volts to put it in prospective). Assuming he was, was the pc unplugged from a power outlet/ power supply disconnected from the motherboard when he did the install, this can also fry things. Also, silly but most pc problems are, did he disable the on-board video in the bios prior to install and did he switch the plug from the monitor to the new graphics card slot and not the on-board one (hence no picture on but otherwise). These are just a few questions to help clarify the situation.

Newbie andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd's Avatar
    Thanks

Either he forgot the setting in bios or a jumper to disable the onboard video, or more likely... the video card is bad and he's blowing out the thing; Id go with the bad video card as thats what i've had blow up a system, never had it from forgetting a setting.

As far as grounding yourself (as all the self proclaimed geeks always give as an answer) it's pretty much BS... I've shocked many pieces of computer equipment, even some purposely; multiple times, to check if there was any truth to the mater... and seriously, I have yet to see anyone building a computer in a store that wears one of those stupid bands; if it really was needed then all these computer makers would be wearing it as they wouldn't want to blow up the equipment they use. (Especialy places that I go to, like pc club and pc center; both which have carpet in the entire place)

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Either he forgot the setting in bios or a jumper to disable the onboard video, or more likely... the video card is bad and he's blowing out the thing; Id go with the bad video card as thats what i've had blow up a system, never had it from forgetting a setting.

As far as grounding yourself (as all the self proclaimed geeks always give as an answer) it's pretty much BS... I've shocked many pieces of computer equipment, even some purposely; multiple times, to check if there was any truth to the mater... and seriously, I have yet to see anyone building a computer in a store that wears one of those stupid bands; if it really was needed then all these computer makers would be wearing it as they wouldn't want to blow up the equipment they use. (Especialy places that I go to, like pc club and pc center; both which have carpet in the entire place)

The graphics card being bad could very well be true but it is unlikely it affected the systems amperage flow to the point it fried the system, though it could be the reason the system won't boot. There could be an IRQ conflict but with the newer motherboards and IRQ sharing it is unlikely. Also a jumper setting needing to be adjusted to in order to disable the on board video is also almost unheard of as well. There could be another thing, I know on a pc I fixed for a friend the motherboard had a slot that looks just like a VGA slot but it isn't, it was a expansion slot for a riser board made by the motherboard's manufacture. He fried his system sticking a video card in there.

As for the grounding issue be sure you know what you are talking about before giving your advise to someone, just because you have no regard for your equipment doesn't mean you go off telling others to screw theirs up. Go to any Dell, Gateway, or even a Best Buy where they upgrade equipment and you will see that yes they do either use a ESD mat or wrist band. I have seen cases where a PC got fried from the dust inside the case which, stores electrical charges. So just because you have been lucky and not fried something doesn't mean it is BS. I worked for my company as System Analyst for 5 years and we had over 3000 pc's I helped support. I have seen almost everything, it happens.

Otaku ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd

Well maybe the reason why you did not see anyone building a computer in a store that wears one of those stupid bands was bcoz they have already grounded themselves. You can do this by either touching your PSU or any metal part of the case. It's pretty obvious that you have just been lucky not frying any computer parts with your stupid antics. But chiefblackhammer is right, you can and you will fry computer parts if you don't ground yourself, I would know bcoz I have done so a few times from experimenting, kinda like what u did!

Please learn the facts first before you tell people that you don't have to ground yourself when handling pc components.

Anime 4-Lyf!
    ANiMe 4-LYF!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Just out of curiosity, but did you UNPLUG the computer and wait several minutes before working on it??? ATX motherboards have a SOFTWARE power on/off function, which means the mother board is HOT (powered), even if the computer is turned off. And plugging a card into a HOT motherboard can easily fry the card and/or the motherboard. (And I know this from school of hard knocks experiance... grumble grumble grumble)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to turn this into a flame thing, but please don't give constantly SHOCK your own stuff and tell other people to. Some carpet are specially made to not create static. If you try going to houses in Sacramento, CA you'll find out that's it's not the same

also, is your friends motherboard actually elevated from the case itself??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

just this weekend my hardware spazzed out on me. I removed a DVD-rom that no longer worked, made sure all other connections were okay and booted back up. The computer just wouldn't boot up, froze before the memory check. Thinking I screwed up something with the motherboard, ended up dismantling almost the whole thing....all my cards and everything. Built back up from a basic setup all the way up to all my cards, HDs, and drives and everything was fine and dandy again. The only change I made was move the cards around (ie: switch up where they were placed)....I still don't quite know what was wrong, perhaps a loose card somewhere.

What I'm trying to get to is....make sure everything's connected properly, start out simple and build up. Make sure your cables work, etc.

when you say "nothing" happens when you start it up....please be more detailed...nothing at all ie: as if it had no power (no fan no startup sounds)? or nothing on the screen but you still hear the computer power on? Do you hear the beep that happens at startup? etc...etc.?
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast