Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MPAA cracks down on BitTorrent

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks

MPAA cracks down on BitTorrent

Well, it finally happened. After SuprNova was shut down so Sloncek could make adware ridden filth, I had to find elsewhere to dl stuff using BitTorrent. A couple sites I managed to find were TorrentStop/LokiTorrent. As you Torrenters out there prolly already kno, Loki got sued by the MPAA a while back for "illegally" providing access to copyrighted material. Most people (myself included) thought torrent sites would be somewhat immune (legally, anyway) because they don't actually host any of the files. However, the MPAA seems to have won its lawsuit, because both Stop/Loki have been shut down. And the MPAA being what it is, they will prolly be suing all kinds of BitTorrent users pretty soon. Now, BitTorrent can obviously be used to ul/dl all kinds of legal stuff, but if it ceases being a viable means of dling the quasilegal stuff, will BitTorrent stopped being used altogether? If so, it would be a huge loss, because BitTorrent is an amazingly useful program.

Discuss.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks
    Bittorrent is an Amazing program, and it can be used for Legal stuff, like say, downloading Fan-Subs of anime that hasn't been Licenced.

If you look around, you can find torrent sites that are still up (TorrentReactor, Bit-Ance, TVtorrents) And there's always Exeem, which you can find an Exeem-lite version.

Some of my favorite Anime Torrent sites are [*link removed*] (Great site where you can find anything Asian related, torrents are currently down right now as they re-work their system) and [*link removed*] (Great Anime site. Been going there for almost a year now, Becarefull about your share ratio though, they get militant if its below 1.00, I've got a ratio of 1.2)

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry, had to remove the links since they provide torrent links for licensed anime.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, it was inevitable really......

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

In addition to shutting down LokiTorrents.com, the courts also ordered that all server logs be handed over to the MPAA... Its only a matter of time before more lawsuits against individuals are filed...

Related CNET article...
    http://news.com.com/Court+Hollywood+...3-5571782.html
    http://news.com.com/MPAA+files+new+f...html?tag=st.rn

Which only goes to show that you should not consider anonymous Internet downloads to be truly 'anonymous'.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I realize why they are cracking down on bittorrent so hard, but I have to remind everyone that there are always alternative ways of doing something. Once I found out the hazourdous risks of bittorrents, I proceeded to find an alternate route. I have found Direct Downloads of unlicenced anime/music. You do have to pay for older unlicenced animes(like a week old or so) but I can download the newest ones for free. Weather or not this is called "leagal" i have yet to come to a decition on it, but for now, they don't seem to be cracking down on that.

As of bittorrent, you usually have to make very darn sure that you only download unlicenced stuff, but as with dd, it usually is ALL unlicenced. (or has preset conditions)

So that's why I never use bt, because the MPAA is focusing just on bittorrent right now.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't see why they don't hit Limewire of Kazaa I guess because they are legal P2P networks?

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    I don't see why they don't hit Limewire of Kazaa I guess because they are legal P2P networks?
    they've hit kazaa in the past there was a big raid on kazaa's offices awhile ago.

As far as I'm concerned, lokitorrent was terrible with bad seeds, and after all that money people donated(30-40,000 USD), everyone still got shafted.

I can't see how the MPAA can sue without getting countersued for invasion of privacy. and from what I've seen on other forums, mr. loki better watch his back because some crazy kids have more than just his IP address to track him down.

the thing about this whole MPAA deal is that they can't touch sites on foreign land. so the only people who will get sued will be kids here.

it's interesting that software companies haven't stepped in at all out of all businesses that are really losing the most money. while the MPAA loses a 8 bucks for their crap movie Troy, Gates is losing 150 a pop on WinXP Pro. then again, I doubt much people care about the richest man in teh world losing money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast