Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Huji or Mt. Fuji???

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Mt. Huji or Mt. Fuji???

Japan has three alphabets, as many may know. The Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. The Hiragana is used for actual, original Japanese words, while Katakana is used for borrowed words (IE. Hamburger, pencil, American names, ETC...pretty much anything that didn't originate in Japan) Kanji are the thousands of Chinese characters that were taken from China and used to symbolize a single image (IE. A single Kanji character could represent an object, action, or a collective meaning of things)

Some consider Romaji to be part of the Japanese alphabet. Romaji is the romanized translation of Japanese characters into English-pronouncable words.

I PERSONALLY do not consider Romaji an alphabet. Romaji only 'sounds Japanese.' It is written in English.

Anyway, the Japanese have created their alphabet in the form of syllable - sounds.
    Romanized, allow me to demonstrate.

(NOT IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)
    a, i, u, e, o
    ka, ki, ku, ke, ko
    ta, chi, tsu, te, to
    na, ni, nu, ne, no
    sa, shi, su, se, so

WITH THAT LONG COMPLEX STORY OUT OF THE WAY, ALLOW ME TO MAKE MY POINT ~
    Ha, hi, hu, he, ho are part of this alphabet, dominantly. SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT when the Europeans came over and influenced Japan, the character for "HU" was stressed into "FU"...Nasty, nasty Europeans! Hence the term Mt. Huji has been mispronounced into Fuji. Europeans changing the syllabic sounds are the cause for this.

So from what I am told, if you want to be politically correct, it's actually "Mt. Huji"

Does anyone have any extra information on this???
    (I heard this from a native Japanese person)

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mt. Huji or Mt. Fuji???

Grumble Grumble Grumble

This is incorrect, as your listing for the Japanese Phonetic alphabet is woefully incomplete. Mt Fuji is actually refered to as Fuji-yama (yama means mountain) You also have Japanese corporate names like Fujitsu...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

I know, my Japanese Romaji was incomplete. I felt it redundant to list all forty some characters. My Japanese teacher was the one who told me that it was Mt. Huji... <<;;

I'm actually quite curious about this one! If anyone knows, please repost. I've never heard Mt. Fujiyama, but my friend ChanChan tells me that she has heard it 'Mt. Huji' as well!

Newbie Andi-san may be famous one day Andi-san may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tasukuchan
    Japan has three alphabets, as many may know. The Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. The Hiragana is used for actual, original Japanese words, while Katakana is used for borrowed words (IE. Hamburger, pencil, American names, ETC...pretty much anything that didn't originate in Japan) Kanji are the thousands of Chinese characters that were taken from China and used to symbolize a single image (IE. A single Kanji character could represent an object, action, or a collective meaning of things)

Some consider Romaji to be part of the Japanese alphabet. Romaji is the romanized translation of Japanese characters into English-pronouncable words.

I PERSONALLY do not consider Romaji an alphabet. Romaji only 'sounds Japanese.' It is written in English.

Anyway, the Japanese have created their alphabet in the form of syllable - sounds.
    Romanized, allow me to demonstrate.

(NOT IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)
    a, i, u, e, o
    ka, ki, ku, ke, ko
    ta, chi, tsu, te, to
    na, ni, nu, ne, no
    sa, shi, su, se, so

WITH THAT LONG COMPLEX STORY OUT OF THE WAY, ALLOW ME TO MAKE MY POINT ~
    Ha, hi, hu, he, ho are part of this alphabet, dominantly. SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT when the Europeans came over and influenced Japan, the character for "HU" was stressed into "FU"...Nasty, nasty Europeans! Hence the term Mt. Huji has been mispronounced into Fuji. Europeans changing the syllabic sounds are the cause for this.

So from what I am told, if you want to be politically correct, it's actually "Mt. Huji"

Does anyone have any extra information on this???
    (I heard this from a native Japanese person)
    that is actsactly(sp?) what i was told. and i agree.
    konitchi wa,
    fave food is chokoreeto; i even drink hotto chokoreeto in the winter. i use to ride a basu but they cut the basu service for me. i just got penpals yesterday.
    later,
    andi-san

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have a japanese teacher, then you are probably learning japanese. If you are learning the kana's then you know hu/fu are the same charater and i have been taught that the sound is somewhere between the hu and the fu. While the kana is actually hu, not a big deal as fu and hu do sound real similar, at least the way i say hu and fu.

Now as for Mt Fuji, I have heard to it refered to it more as Fujisan than Fujiyama and doing a google search on both shows more about the mountian when reffering to it as Fujisan. The san suffex (thing that goes on end) is also to mean mountians as I understand it; some go by san and some by sama. As for politically correct and what ever nonsense, blah! If it makes you feel better to write it huji in romanji fine, but it isn't that big of a deal because in english it is reconized as Fuji, and in japanese.....well you should be writing in hiragana and not romanji so not a big deal.

Thanks

Hahah, I had to drop out of the Japanese class after two weeks of taking it because I couldn't make the classes, they were 7 - 10 PM classes, and the bus schedule didn't work out right. Ironically, I got my license a month later ><;;

That was a year and a half ago though <<;;
    ( And yes I know the Hiragana alphabet by heart, but I haven't mastered memorizing Katakana ~ The sounds are all the same though u.U;; )

...So basically, in regards to the European influence on Hu and Fu...

Is it Mt. Huji or Mt. Fuji???

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tasukuchan
    Hahah, I had to drop out of the Japanese class after two weeks of taking it because I couldn't make the classes, they were 7 - 10 PM classes, and the bus schedule didn't work out right. Ironically, I got my license a month later ><;;

That was a year and a half ago though <<;;
    ( And yes I know the Hiragana alphabet by heart, but I haven't mastered memorizing Katakana ~ The sounds are all the same though u.U;; )

...So basically, in regards to the European influence on Hu and Fu...

Is it Mt. Huji or Mt. Fuji???
    LenMiyata told ya its Fuji-yama, that's what I have heard so many times as well, and not to mention i climbed it! yeah its Fuji for short though...

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

ok heres one of my pronuciation tables hope in comes in handy to some of u people.

I agree with len all the way on this one.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast