Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mythology and God

Otaku Stitch may be famous one day Stitch may be famous one day Stitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Mythology and God

One of my room mates came home last night with this huge book on mythology, seeing how as I'm quite interested in such things, I decided to take a look at it.

Wow, there were a lot of interesting things in there, the gods of egypt, zeus, hades, norse gods, chinese gods, and tons more. But there was one that was not mentioned at all, God.

Now this just seemed odd, why would a book talk about all these other gods and faiths, but have nothing on God? Now, does this mean that they are saying these other gods are Myths, considering its a mythology book? But people believe in these other gods, and they have faith in them, just as some people have faith in a one true god. So, why do they separate god from these others, especially in a mythology book?

What is your input on this AO?
    In the absence of life, there is death...
    ...but in the absence of death, there is suffering.
    Sig By: Sasurai

Just Trying To Live Life War on Terror Champion name one may be famous one day name one may be famous one day name one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mythology and God

Good question, the past couple weeks ago i had to do a project on a god and i did Ares. But that not the point. Well i think that we have no idea how does God really looks like. So mostly we have to read the Bible and it say everything that God did.

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

lol well, for one. the authors of book wrote about mythology. God is considered reality. i dont think mythology ties in with religion. does that book also talk about the hindu god Budda?. im saying its as plain as black and white, Myth and facts?. lol
    im sure Kedar will have a ton on this.
    I would question anything in a mythological book, they are really interesting.

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

mythology is cool.... all tohse different gods and their different tasks and powers....
    but as SasuraiHell already said: God isnt mythology, and u said the book was about mytholigy so it woulndt have God, or any other God of religions that still exist today.....
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

The god that our catholic people worship is different than those other gods. Mythology is the study of ancient istories related to Gods and Goddesses, but i think that the god that we worship should be included in books of mythology.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The major difference is basically this: The Christian God is considered to be the real deal, and whenever that happens it's not considered myth, but a religion.

The greeks didn't use their gods for worship. They used them for explanation of the unknown though supernatural being that are called gods. I'm sure this also pertains to norse and egyptian gods as well, though I'll admit I know little about either of them.

God in Christianity is an omnipower being that is perfect, can create anything or do anything, like create the universe for instance. He has no emotional faults, he is the alpha, he is the manifestation of perfection, and he created all of life. Although it is fun to compare biblical stories to that of mythological stories, because I find some of them to be remarkably similar. I love mythology.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Many of the stories within the Bible were taken from other religions and simply 'christianized' so that it fit with the Christian conception of God, so that it was easier for them to convert other peoples. Lots of myths were incorperated into the Bible, but since Christianity is one of the remaining religions, it's not really considered mythology. If Christianity were to ever dwindle out, then most certainly people would write about it from a mythological standpoint.

Greek, Norse, and the Egyption religions haven't been practiced for thousands of years. I mean, sure, there might be people out there who still follow that stuff, but for pretty much the entire population, these religions have long since been inactive. Therefore, a more critical look can be taken towards them.

The problem with trying to write about Christianity being composed of myths and the such is that it still has a large following, who will defend their beliefs. Open a newspaper, and you'll probably find an article about Christian groups complaining about something.

For example: The Da Vinci Code.
    Christian groups are in an uproar over this book (and the movie), because it brings up different ideas about Christianity. There was a big commotion over in Europe when they started filming the movie, so they had different Christian groups yakkin on TV.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

A nice topic, having studied Mythology at the college level I would like to offer some input towards your question. To somewhat agree with ketaro, Mythology is the study of well Myths. Now a myth does not equate to a fallacy, but I would say that it is unlikely the myth it true in its totality. Because you do not have my books on Mythology I will use on online reference. A myth as defined by Wikipedia: “Myths are generally narratives passed down traditionally intended to explain the universal and local beginnings ("creation myths" and "founding myths"), natural phenomena, inexplicable cultural conventions, and anything else for which no simple explanation presents itself.”

I differ with Dark. slightly on 2 things, Myths were normally very much associated with “gods/goddess” but it is not in total the actuality of the existence of a “god” that makes it different from a myth but that the religion is no longer widely practiced and most common people believe that the events portrayed in the myths did not actually happen. The reason therefore that the Christian God is not considered a mythological character is because it is widely followed and presumed true by the followers. I understand this is what you meant; I just slightly disagreed with the way it was worded.

The second thing I slightly disagree with I will explain now, fact is that Myths fall into 3 main broad categories based off cultures, Greek (Roman’s stole the Greek gods and just gave them new names), Egyptian and Norse but are not limited to these as there are hundreds of cultures with them. Under these categories are many different classifications of myths. Ritual myths, Origin myths, Prestige myths, Cult Myths, Eschatological myths, etc… In each of these, the religions were very widely practiced and the respective “gods/goddess” worshiped in so much so it shaped the very structure of each of the civilizations that had the “gods,” one could say even more so then Christianity or Buddhism has ever done. Not to say some if not a lot of people just as with modern day religions didn’t believe a word of it.

Because of this I have to disagree with SasuraiHell too, religion was the basis of all of the myths we know about, they were so much hand in hand that one could not exist without the other, or at least they did not survive very long.

Overall to answer your question, which somewhat agrees with what Chubz said it goes into the back to the practice of the religion, and current belief of it. If people still widely believed in the Titians, I doubt anyone would classify it as a myth. Wikipedia states, “The term is most often used in this sense to describe religions founded by ancient societies whose belief systems are nearly extinct.” Otherwise Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc…. would all have their “stories” considered myths.

Chubz I would like to know exactly what was copied from myths in Christianity, please do enlighten me and I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast