Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Natural Disasters - God or Humanity

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Natural Disasters - God or Humanity

Felnor:

I have no problem with you disagreeing wtih me about the bible. People have been doing that since it was written. As a LDS church member I'm very used to people disagreeing wtih me about my religious poistions. What I found offensive was your sarcastic comments about the appocolypse and how you couldn't fit it into your weekend. I do find it offensive when someone takes the bible so lightly as to mock it openly.

The bible was written by men who speak in the name of God. Yes, there are mistakes and mistranslations in the bible. But they are the mistakes of men. If you read the bible with an open mind and the spirit of God you can disern the truth from the falsehoods and many discrepancies and be worked through. In most cases you can take the bible literally (please remember I said most cases - anyone can pull a verse out and tell my the bible is false by one verse) and in others it is ment to be interpeted. The spirit of God and show you which is which. All you have to do is read with an open mind and pray to God for the truth and he will show it to you.

You are free to worship God how you wish and I would be the first to defend your right to do so. But I KNOW there is a God. Can I explain it? No. But it can be proven...itleast to each individual. God as told us any times in the bible to "test" him, meaning to read his word, apply it in our lives, and ask him if it is correct (or even if he exsists). If you have an open mind and are truly seeking an answer then he will answer you. I served a LDS mission for two years and saw this happen countless times.

Many miricles cannot be explained by science and many miricales can be explained by science...even if we can't duplicate them. Does that make those those that can be explained by science less of a miricle? Is it no longer a miricle if we CAN duplicate them?

God works in small and mysterious ways...becuase of the very thing you mentioned. If God did all miricles in such a way they could not be denyed we would lose our free agency to beleive or not beleive in him. Instead he chooses 'small and simple' means to show his power to preserve that freedom of choice. It's the same principle as teaching in parables. It allows those seeking the truth to find it without bringing condomnation on the heads of those that dont.

Felnor, I'm not saying the appocolypse is appon us. I am saying however that the signs of the times are happeining and more frequently. We are being warned by God to shape up and repent.

Is it the will of God that these things happen? I don't know. I was thinking about that last night because of this thead. I think it is not nessessarilly the will of God that is happening as more that the prophesies of God are happening before our eyes. I'd be happy to debate that with you.

voluntarily left site Alegos may be famous one day Alegos may be famous one day
    Thanks

Dear tasukuchan,

Wow, more flames. Good job, you've figured out I'm a "sesquipedalian" person (ZOMG!! HE USE BIG WERD!), and I've been that way for ages (hey, I like the English language, big whoop). But of course you wouldn't know this, but you sure like to think you know. Macro photography is one of my hobbies, I'm sorry if you think that's "bizarre" but it really has nothing to do with this thead. If I wanted to make fun of you it wouldn't be too difficult, in fact you've done it to yourself with your oh-so-eloquent link in your signature that subsequently leads to a myspace account (which I'll assume is yours) in which you cite one of your interests as "cutting," you wear clown make-up, and glorify your bout with biploar disorder. Now which hobby is really the "bizarre" one, my bug photography/identification or your apparent cry for attention? Your personal attacks are in violation of the board rules and have nothing to do with this topic, so I'll kindly ask you to cease and merely agree to disagree.

Sincerely your online buddy,
    Alegos
    Last edited by Alegos; Oct 19, 2005 at 01:51 PM.

Newbie Felnor may be famous one day Felnor may be famous one day Felnor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    Felnor:

I have no problem with you disagreeing wtih me about the bible. People have been doing that since it was written. As a LDS church member I'm very used to people disagreeing wtih me about my religious poistions. What I found offensive was your sarcastic comments about the appocolypse and how you couldn't fit it into your weekend. I do find it offensive when someone takes the bible so lightly as to mock it openly.

The bible was written by men who speak in the name of God. Yes, there are mistakes and mistranslations in the bible. But they are the mistakes of men. If you read the bible with an open mind and the spirit of God you can disern the truth from the falsehoods and many discrepancies and be worked through. In most cases you can take the bible literally (please remember I said most cases - anyone can pull a verse out and tell my the bible is false by one verse) and in others it is ment to be interpeted. The spirit of God and show you which is which. All you have to do is read with an open mind and pray to God for the truth and he will show it to you.

You are free to worship God how you wish and I would be the first to defend your right to do so. But I KNOW there is a God. Can I explain it? No. But it can be proven...itleast to each individual. God as told us any times in the bible to "test" him, meaning to read his word, apply it in our lives, and ask him if it is correct (or even if he exsists). If you have an open mind and are truly seeking an answer then he will answer you. I served a LDS mission for two years and saw this happen countless times.

Many miricles cannot be explained by science and many miricales can be explained by science...even if we can't duplicate them. Does that make those those that can be explained by science less of a miricle? Is it no longer a miricle if we CAN duplicate them?

God works in small and mysterious ways...becuase of the very thing you mentioned. If God did all miricles in such a way they could not be denyed we would lose our free agency to beleive or not beleive in him. Instead he chooses 'small and simple' means to show his power to preserve that freedom of choice. It's the same principle as teaching in parables. It allows those seeking the truth to find it without bringing condomnation on the heads of those that dont.

Felnor, I'm not saying the appocolypse is appon us. I am saying however that the signs of the times are happeining and more frequently. We are being warned by God to shape up and repent.

Is it the will of God that these things happen? I don't know. I was thinking about that last night because of this thead. I think it is not nessessarilly the will of God that is happening as more that the prophesies of God are happening before our eyes. I'd be happy to debate that with you.
    Trust me when I tell you I've read far worse things typed about the Bible than my little joking comments. However Im sorry if it offended you, it was just meant to point out that I think that some of the responses I've read are a bit over the top.

Thats basicly what I think. This is little more than bad luck in my eyes, I don't believe its the sign of prophecies being fufilled. Part of the reason is that I think God would know better than to try and send us signs when you consider about half the worlds population arent even Christains. It might encourage them to repent, but they would be repenting to the wrong God(s), wouldnt they? Which would be a sin. Thus making the situation worse. Or in some cases not at all. To me it seems that Gods efforts would make little sense in that case.

The problem with the fact that there are so many interrpretations of the Bible is that some don't get it right. Evangelicals for example. The amount of things that I've read that they have done is shocking. Take, for example, a report I read earlier this year of some parents who litterally beat their child to death because they believed that God waned them to "beat the demons out of her". Their now on trial for murder. How in the hell could that be what God would want? This is the problem with giving people choice sometimes: They make the wrong one. Obviously not everyones like that but there are some out there. If someone can translate that from the Bible it proves, for me at least, the Bible can be translated wrong. This may be another example (far less extreme of course).

Don't get me wrong, science can't prove everything but it can prove these recent problems.
    "Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Heart And You'll Never Walk Alone"

http://jadeli.proboards58.com/ - Join if you got nothing better to do!

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alegos
    Dear tasukuchan,

If I wanted to make fun of you it wouldn't be too difficult, in fact you've done it to yourself with your oh-so-eloquent link in your signature that subsequently leads to a myspace account (which I'll assume is yours) in which you cite one of your interests as "cutting," you wear clown make-up, and glorify your bout with biploar disorder. Now which hobby is really the "bizarre" one, my bug photography/identification or your apparent cry for attention? Your personal attacks are in violation of the board rules and have nothing to do with this topic, so I'll kindly ask you to cease and merely agree to disagree.

Sincerely your online buddy,
    Alegos

Dear Alegos,

Firstly you just personally attacked me (commenting on my bipolar disorder, cutting, and clown fetish) hence, violating board rules yourself. So could you be kindly cease and decist as well? And I'm not your "Buddy". Let's get that across. Secondly, I have bipolar and if you have browsed AO long enough (assuming you haven't, looks like you're RATHER n00bish), you would noticed that I had stated to the community that yes, I do have issues, I'm blunt about things and I don't like to beat around the bush (So, no ~ it's not a cry for attention, I'm being my normal self and doing what I like to do in public rather than hiding it). I don't put up facades, or try to come off as superior. Do you know my entire history: NO Did you know that until three years ago I denied having bipolar disorder altogether, therefore admittance to my disability is a HUGE step??? Again, I think not By the way dude, look back at your previous posts. What kind of person ACTUALLY FLAMES SOMEONE BASED ON MINOR GRAMMATICAL ERRORS!?! That's really sad and pathetic...

In fact, I find it offensive ~ offensive to the point where I think I will write my Local Moderator about this one!

Dear AO Congressman,
    It appears that our friend Alegos enjoys using his vast array of "knowledge" to belittle people. Can you make this smarty-clown stop?? Its bugging me!

(I believe the lad doesn't know the distinction between intellect and sarcasm)
    Last edited by tasukuchan; Oct 19, 2005 at 04:11 PM.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose
    It all depends where you stand religously, as some have already said.

But personally, I think Mother Nature is trying to tell us all something.
    I agree with Spike'sRose-garu. Simply said: everything has a cause. Heard about Chaos theory, it might be due to that.

voluntarily left site Alegos may be famous one day Alegos may be famous one day
    Thanks

Talking Re: Natural Disasters - God or Humanity

You truly do make me laugh, tasukuchan. I seem to have hit a nerve. You go and whine to a mod when in reality you were the one who took personal jabs at me in the first place, I merely defended myself and countered. If you can't take a dose of your own medicine, don't prescribe it in the first place. Also, there's a fine line between being open with and gloating about your dysfunctions. I have no qualms over making any of these claims, because to me, you're nothing special, just another faceless person that comes and goes. If you fell off of the face of the Earth It would amount to exactly nil to me. You sir, are a natural disaster.

You really weren't much to argue with, your arguments filled with red herrings and you based your whole argument on the assumption that The Bible is something other a great piece of fictional literature.

I honestly couldn't care less, in the end I wasn't going to stick around here very long anyway. If it offends you so terribly much (oh no an anonymous person came too close to home over the internet on an anime forum!), I'll take my leave. I find company with such an unsavory character as yourself, disconcerting at best. You apparently like conflict, perhaps to try and bring purpose to your life.

I'll just edit a few of my prior posts and ask for the admin to delete my account. Simple, I've got no attachments to this place and I'm sure nobody here gives two grains of sand about that other than yourself.

As a final note, I'll not be accepting your MSN contact offer (why would I, when you haven't even proven yourself interesting on a message board?), nor will I be here to read any response you may have to this, I suggest you move on with your life and get over it.

~fin

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm actually surprised this thread went as far as it has.

But I'd like to voice my opinion. What I say, if it offends someone, I'm sorry. Plus, I'm not athiest so don't think that either. First off, yes, I do believe it's humanity's fault for what has been going on recently with the weather. It's our fault the ozone layer has been thinning from all of the chemicals we put in the air everyday, look at the polar icecaps. They are melting and animals are dying. It's affecting the weather as well. Is this the apocalypse? No. I don't think so.

I don't think in any way that it has anything to do with God. Plainly because I think religion is an invention of humanity to explain whatever we do not know and what we can't explain. See, if we learn things about the world using science, the ideals of the people change. Take the atmosphere for example, back before we knew it was an atmosphere made of oxygen and nitrogen and such, we thought there were spirits all around us. That was back when we believed that people who knew too much were witches. What happened to that? It went down the toilet because we figured out what it really was. Who is to say that we can't figure out what we're doing here? As I said I'm not athiest, and I do believe in God because how else would the universe start? Someone has to snap their fingers and BOOM big bang. I like the idea that God started the universe off and now he/she is watching us. He never stepped in much before, why would that change. There have been worse times in history that should've lead to the apocalypse, not today. Just look at the Holocaust.

One thing as well, when I said God I didn't necessarily mean the Christian faith as most of you had been explaining. I don't know the other religions and their scriptures, but do they say anything about the apocalypse there?
    Last edited by Sazuka; Oct 19, 2005 at 06:27 PM.

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

You truly do make me laugh, tasukuchan. I seem to have hit a nerve. You go and whine to a mod when in reality you were the one who took personal jabs at me in the first place, I merely defended myself and countered.
    Can't you distinguish humor from when someone is trying to being serious? I was jokingly pretending to "Write my AO Congressman", making light of the situation ~ Wow, you really MUST have some form of autism... (That wasn't supposed to be funny either)

You really weren't much to argue with, your arguments filled with red herrings and you based your whole argument on the assumption that The Bible is something other a great piece of fictional literature.
    I wasn't trying to debate with you, I gave up on it. I didn't see arguing in a lost cause. People like you are useless in debating with, seeing that they stick to their own sides of the argument and will never give into ANY other opinion, regardless...Inflexible is the word I am looking for.

I honestly couldn't care less, in the end I wasn't going to stick around here very long anyway. If it offends you so terribly much (oh no an anonymous person came too close to home over the internet on an anime forum!), I'll take my leave. I find company with such an unsavory character as yourself, disconcerting at best. You apparently like conflict, perhaps to try and bring purpose to your life.
    Did you flag me because I hit too close to home in most of the posts I submitted? Or was I too realistic for your liking? In anycase, you probably didn't accept my MSN invite because you knew that you'd lose if we got into an Instant Messenger debate. But who knows, because you declined the invite...

I'll just edit a few of my prior posts and ask for the admin to delete my account. Simple, I've got no attachments to this place and I'm sure nobody here gives two grains of sand about that other than yourself.

As a final note, I'll not be accepting your MSN contact offer (why would I, when you haven't even proven yourself interesting on a message board?), nor will I be here to read any response you may have to this, I suggest you move on with your life and get over it.

~fin
    Who's the "Whining One" now? Sheesh, as I recalled didn't you initiate the whole argument with me in the first place? I believe you were mocking my speech patterns in a sardonic way using quotations in an excessive manner, blah blah blah, you get the picture. Still, you didn't have to leave AO for it? This is just the Debate and Discussions Thread ~ It doesn't mean that the flame has to carry out into the other parts of the community!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast