Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Natural disasters where you live?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Natural disasters where you live?

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now here in the dry sunny (and over 97F hot) Silicon Valley, in addition to the worry about 'THE BIG ONE' (earthquake), urban wildfires are a constant concern. It wasn't that long ago that just north of the Silicon Valley, a entire housing development burnt to the ground due to a uncontrolable wildfire...

The Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 1991
    http://www.firewise.org/pubs/theOakl...eleyHillsFire/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie virginkid may be famous one day virginkid may be famous one day virginkid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esthered
    Hi five, I'm from Singapore too. Well, at least I used to be. Anyway, Singapore hardly experiences any natural disasters at all. I think the most we've ever had were slight earthquake tremors from neighbouring countries, but that's the worst we've ever been through. And it's extremely impossible for Singapore to be hit by any other natural disasters as we're surrounded by many other neighbouring countries that will, in a way to put it very bluntly, shield us from tsunamis/floods/tornados whatsoever. And well, bushfires aren't really considered a natural disaster since it can be controlled.
    *waves to esthered*^^ Well you do have a point there since fires can be put out unlike other disasters such as earthquakes and the like.

However if you think about it though, Singapore's experienced at least a total of 469 bushfires in the first 2 months this year as with 500 in the whole of last year. For us, that's considered quite major damage to our limited forest space.@_@ Like mentioned by Arriana and Lenmiyata above, bush fires are quite like a daily worry rather than a major disaster. They happen on an almost daily basis here even though the news doesn't highlight it. (due to the fact that there are too many to count)!

http://www.ecologyasia.com/news-arch...t_050228_1.htm ^_^

Newbie darse may be famous one day darse may be famous one day darse's Avatar
    Thanks

tornados f 15
    although we might dwell on other things

deep down love is our only escape

www.aiyoriaoshi.com

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    *laughing uncontrollably*

You've obviously never seen one. Controlled is not what I would call it. Attempting to prevent it from hitting populated areas would be what I would call it. Most brush fires are actually started by lightning strikes. If a brush fire in desert/bush country isn't a natural disaster then they don't exist.

Yes and you are right, I've never seen one. What I mean when I said by "controlled" was it being put out. Well, it was put out in my country anyway, and that was all I was directing it to.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, they can be put out. But can you name any other natural disaster that has to be? An earthquake lasts how long? A tsunami? A Hurricane?

Brush fires can last months even in "controlled" conditions and burn everything in it's path, often thousands (if not millions) of acres.

Utah Fire Info .gov
    Wildland Fire Statistics

The determination of whether something is a "Natural Disaster" is by whether it is a. Natural (as compared with a man made disaster) and a b. Disaster. Personally I consider 6,790,692+ acres of wildland lost in the US in 2004 alone to be a disaster.

natural disaster
    noun
    Definition: any event or force of nature that has catastrophic consequences, such as avalanche, earthquake, flood, forest fire, hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, and volcanic eruption
    Last edited by Arrianna; Jul 16, 2005 at 01:57 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5