Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Newbie Dragons Revenge may be famous one day Dragons Revenge may be famous one day
    Thanks

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Well, due to the overwhelming hype of this one, I decided to check it out. It topped newtypes 25 greatest anime of all time reader's poll (an extremely flawed list and shows the stupidity of the adult swim crowd, but I digress) and many heralded it as being the "GREATEST ANIME SERIES OF ALL TIME". It has to be, right? It even says it on the slip case of the box set.

Well, I'm watching it now. I'll be on episode 14 once I pick it up again. Suffice it to say, it doesnt suck, so it's got that going for it. For a long time Shinji really really got to me. "OHhhh my father hates me, I hate my father, why must I pilot it, why am I alive" etc etc etc, and that's assuming he said anything at all. He was depressing to listen to, and made me want to kill myself, since killing him wasnt an option. Now however, he's improved a lot, Is a lot brighter and the scenes with his friend usually entertain. I know they did that to develop his character, but something by way of flashbacks or something could've been a lot better. Rei, on the other hand... Man, I wonder if they made EVA Violins as a merchandise tie in?

For a series supposedly known for it's melodrama, it's religious, scientific, and psycological mumbo jumbo-by the way, when I first heard that, the very first thing that popped into my head was Xenogears-, the last thing I expected was anything funny. I sure as hell never expected a penguin as comic fodder, nor did I expect someone like Misato, a drinking bumbling buffoon. I swear Yukari Tanazaki (Azumanga Diaoh) was patterened after. She does have her poignant moments though. It's always strange when she's goofing off embarrassing Shinji one minute, and endangering his life, possibly for her own betterment the next. I also never knew Germans (Asuka) had Japanese names, but that's irrelevant.

Another thing of note is the EVAs themselves. I love the way they move. The animation, not to mention the design of them are really nicely done. They way they lithely move about like humans is pretty cool.

Storywise though, not a lot has happened. Nothing to make it THE BEST ANIME SERIES OF ALL TIME (tm) and I'm already half way though the series. There hasnt been any filler, per se, just none of that religious, scientific, psycological mumbo jumbo I'd heard about so far. It is a really good series, it's held my attention long enough to sit though 8 consecutive episodes, so that says a lot. I am looking forward to how this thing ends.

Otaku SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hmm well i would never say this was one of the best not in a millions years, it was good but not brilliant.

What till the last 2 epps have fun with those ha ha....

Newbie Dragons Revenge may be famous one day Dragons Revenge may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiGohan
    Hmm well i would never say this was one of the best not in a millions years, it was good but not brilliant.

What till the last 2 epps have fun with those ha ha....
    16 and 17 were pretty interesting. I saw a very little bit of the death of EVA, and it looked pretty F**ked up.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Uh, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Gohan. To me, this series was one of the most brilliant and complex animes ever created. It pries open the minds of the characters, going to such depths - some say too deep - to find out the essence of the main characters. This show is also disturbing as hell. I really, really liked this series. Not just for the nice robot action, but because it makes you use your head.

Meh, that's just my opinion, Gohan... for what it's worth.

Newbie ultimaslair may be famous one day ultimaslair may be famous one day ultimaslair's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriadd
    Uh, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Gohan. To me, this series was one of the most brilliant and complex animes ever created. It pries open the minds of the characters, going to such depths - some say too deep - to find out the essence of the main characters. This show is also disturbing as hell. I really, really liked this series. Not just for the nice robot action, but because it makes you use your head.

I agree. The series was really phychotic in many ways, but that's one of the things that made it so great. I really loved the series, because of all the elements thrown together. Absolutely brilliant and artistic...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriadd

All the uberphilisophical stuff literally put me to sleep. I couldnt stay awake during all that. (The last two episodes) Apparently End of Eva is supposed to clear all that up and complete the series better. I hope it does, otherwise it just ended up a complete disappointment.

Good? Yeah. Great? Absolutely. Best ever? F*** No.

Newbie AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan may be famous one day AUanimefan's Avatar
    Thanks
    The last episodes of the series had me really f'd up. Ill be honest, and don't laugh at me, i had nightmares for a couple of nights all b/c of all the philisophical stuff. I love the EVAs and the two movies were kind of gruesome atleast as far as the EVAs went.

thanx for the sig KayJayFromAust

Newbie Laharl may be famous one day Laharl may be famous one day Laharl's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Indeed i have to say this is one of the best anime series of all time and i friggin love the movies they are trippy as all hell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast