Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Content

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

New Content

Im a newcomer in the anime phase so don't flame me i say something "noobish".

I have just finished watching Princess Mononoke (which was great by the way) and i was wondering if there was anything like that. I've watched all of Hayao Miyazaki and i truly loved his work. Now, im searching for new content. Im tired of people telling me to see crap like Inuyasha, Kenshin, or Cowboy Bebop. That kind of stuff doesn't interest me. I look at anime as a form of art and I'd like to watch more anime that was more artistic. And when I say artistic, I dont mean just visuals but as a whole.

Edit: I know I have posted in the wrong section... Sorry.
    Last edited by Brother; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:03 PM.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Quote Originally Posted by Brother
    Edit: I know I have posted in the wrong section... Sorry.
    Good... Moving...

Also, as far as story plot goes, Princess Mononoke has a story that is some ways similar to Miyazaki's first independent film 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind', which was just recently released on DVD in a uncut release...

Other Eco-thriller genre anime series would be 'Arjuna' (Earth Maiden Arjuna), 'Now and Then, Here and There', (a very very dark and brutal series...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    It sounds to me like you're more interested in the movies then the series. There's alot out there. I would personally suggest Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust if you're looking for something artistic though. It is extreamly violent but loving Mononoka you might not mind that .

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well there are a lot of animes that can be seen as a form of art, in thought as in view. I'd put Evangelion in that class, Serial Experiments Lain, and some others.

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    I second the Earth Girl Arjuna recommendation... this series just doesn't get the praise it deserves. I love the series, even through it gets pretty preachy with the environments issues, it's truly a beautiful and touching series.
    It's actually from the same guy who did Escaflowne.... and the visuals and the music are simply devine (Yoko Kanno did the music) Watch any scene where Juna 'connects' with earth, it can be explained.

As for artistic anime, if you ever find the anime "Angel's Egg" anywhere I would defanitly try it. It's supposed to be so highly artistic it doesn't make much sense.... visuals and direction are really stunning I've heard.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena is quite a interesting anime too, it's 39 episodes long and defanitly has the most unique, bizarre and interesting storylines ever. It's a Shoujo (girls) series through, so it's still got trappings that genre is known of... but it's still an interesting anime to watch. It's also the only half decent Shoujo-ai series in existence too.

You could also try Texhnolyze, it's a really dark and moody anime with a defanite artistic mood to it. When I first watched the first episode, I throught I was watching a piece of modern art.... and not an anime. It's by the same guy who did Lain, but Texhnolyze is alot more trippier and makes much less sense (if that could be possible)

Haibane Renmei is another good one, this series is one of the deepest and most touching anime I've seen. Basically it's a story about the afterlife, heaven and salvation... but the way it's told is the most unique way I've seen.

Basically, I think you'll probably prefer the shorter series (like me) 13 episode ones... for they always get straight to the point and there's no filler crap and and no story arcs that span into infinity.... like Inu Yasha.
    If you want any more recs just say.... because I'm alot like this too in my tastes in anime, excluding my 'fangirl' series I love anime like this.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I look at anime as a form of art and I'd like to watch more anime that was more artistic. And when I say artistic, I dont mean just visuals but as a whole.
    Hmmm... Well, if you check out the visual images from "Range Murata" I believe he is the best anime art designer/drawer out there. And the anime that he provided character designs for is called "Last Exile". I believe that the whole of the anime is an art form in the essence of a novel. It doesn't have a run-of-the-mill attitude when it comes to other shows. I believe that this anime should be considered a major form of how the evelution, condition, and presence of man can coordinate in an altering enviornment.

If some don't consider it as art, you probably do, but you just don't know it.

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks
    Im tired of people telling me to see crap like Inuyasha, Kenshin, or Cowboy Bebop. That kind of stuff doesn't interest me.
    I respect you saying that it doesn't interest you, but I don't think you should say so outwardly that it's crap. It's pretty rude, if you think about it. Anyway, I think you would enjoy something like Samurai Champloo, the whole breakdancing thing together with sword fighting is pretty artistic. It's Samurai, but the story concept ain't the same with Rurouni Kenshin. :]

Otaku sedka may be famous one day sedka may be famous one day sedka's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you think kenshin is crap, and you like art type of anime, Then you've missed out on the 2 kenshin "Movie type" anime (OAV). Both are emotional, great art and animation. One starts before the Tv seris and the other after the Tv series. Samurai X in english is the name, i think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast