Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Pope Selected

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai
    I just wish the pope was a little more open about things like female roles and issues, in the Church and in society. It is the 21st centurt after all, it's about time they were a little more liberal about everything.
    Well they certainly got one who is open about where he stands and according to him, it's not going to happen, liberal wise. He has come out firmly against several things including relitivism. I don't think joining the "21 Century" concerns him in the slightest. Personally I respect him for it. Imagine that, someone who believes in following the standareds and beliefs of his religion. Something that doesn't happen often enough in my opinion.

I do understand that it was supposed to be the quickest choice made though. Or was there one faster?
    Last edited by Arrianna; Apr 19, 2005 at 10:24 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've watched the whole selection yesterday, ( i live in another timezone).
    And that German looks oke to me.

Otaku deidre_the_goddess may be famous one day deidre_the_goddess may be famous one day deidre_the_goddess's Avatar
    i came from a place no one has ever gone..
    Thanks

pope

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    He seem like an ok guy. I wonder why he was chosen?
    i'd say only GOD knows!!!!

Thanks for the news!!!
    Last edited by deidre_the_goddess; Apr 19, 2005 at 11:19 PM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Well they certainly got one who is open about where he stands and according to him, it's not going to happen, liberal wise. He has come out firmly against several things including relitivism. I don't think joining the "21 Century" concerns him in the slightest. Personally I respect him for it. Imagine that, someone who believes in following the standareds and beliefs of his religion. Something that doesn't happen often enough in my opinion.

I do understand that it was supposed to be the quickest choice made though. Or was there one faster?
    This was not the fastest, more like one of the fastest. There was a fast vote 1939 which needed only three voting rounds. This one took five.
    And as for not evolving, it is dangerous for the church istelf, some issues like celibacy or the medieval idea on women (bear offspring, make food and shut up) is really hurting the Catholic religion all over the world.
    Last edited by Hassun; Apr 20, 2005 at 06:17 AM.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting tidbit I heard on CNN: Before his election to the papacy, Benedict XVI was in charge of the papal department that used to be the Inquisition.

Let's bring back the auto de fe.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Yup, the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
    Nicknamed "the pope's enforcer". I think a Hollywood blockbuster action flick is in order here.

He was also a member of the Hitlerj├╝gend...
    Last edited by Hassun; Apr 20, 2005 at 06:21 AM.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    I watched him appearing at the balcony live when I came back from university (I live in Europe, same timezone as Rome) and wasn't I shocked with whom they had elected....Someone that while a cardinal said that not enough catholicism in the world led to communism and nazism, while he was with the "Hitler Youngs" before...Someone that said during his cardinalship that other religions should be taken away (I am Buddhist)...I am interested in what is he going to say about Tibet.

And his face just doesn't look kind to me.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    This was not the fastest, more like one of the fastest. There was a fast vote 1939 which needed only three voting rounds. This one took five.
    I was under the impression that they both took place in about the same amount of time however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    And as for not evolving, it is dangerous for the church istelf, some issues like celibacy or the medieval idea on women (bear offspring, make food and shut up) is really hurting the Catholic religion all over the world.
    I don't know of any statements he has made about "bear offspring, make food and shut up", I do know he has come down on Homosexuality, Women Priests, Marxism, Communism, and Relitivism. But then as others have mentioned he was in charge of the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. If anyone is going to be completely conversant in Catholic Doctrine it would be him. I understand that he also has come out previously saying that something more needed to be done about the Priest sexual abuse cases in the US so maybe we'll see a shake up in that area soon.

As for his being a member of the Hitlerj├╝gend don't believe everything you hear. Yes he served in the German military twice in WWII. Once as a youth and then again as an adult. He was drafted. It's called mandatory service. He got out of the first by going into the seminary (something he was already preparing for) and the second by defecting before the war was over. He actually refers to his experiences under Hitler as the reason for his faith. His statements on both Hitlers regime and the USSR are not very complementry.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast