Thread: No child left behind

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

No child left behind

My stance on this is that the No child left behind policy is more deleterious than salutary. (for those of you confused: deleterious=harmful, salutary=helpful, healing) My reason for this is that all that is does is to increase the amount of testing on students, and take away money from schools. Another bad point- if a student in a public school is not found to be able to remain any public school, the government, under the no child left behind policy, is obligated to place the child in another educational institute. This usually means using government spending to send a child to a private school.

What is your stance on the subject. With your stance, provide theoretical or physical examples of the policy working or failing with your stance.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    here in California, we are especially unhappy with this but luckily I graduated so that's behind me. But the main problem is, everyone needs funding so bad that teachers would only end up teaching the test material and not what we really need to learn. While it's hard to have a system that will work, this one certainly is not the best one.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie Cipher may be famous one day Cipher may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Come to canada =). Our education is free and about 10x more helpful.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, but you have testing, and standards, and requirements, and most importantly an emphasis on actually learning instead of keeping your behind in a chair so the school can get their money.

Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    here in California, we are especially unhappy with this but luckily I graduated so that's behind me. But the main problem is, everyone needs funding so bad that teachers would only end up teaching the test material and not what we really need to learn. While it's hard to have a system that will work, this one certainly is not the best one.
    Please define what you really need to learn?
    Aren't the tests on the basics you are supossed to know?
    If that isn't "what you need to learn" what is?

[rant]
    No, it's not perfect. All the same I have no sympathy for the NEA. If the States don't like it they should just cut the federal funding off and make do with their state blood money. Personally I think we put to much money into funding 'education' and not enough in the educators. Every time someone throws more money at the problem you just get a bigger problem. How about instead of worrying about new text books every year on subjects that don't change we worry instead about whether the kids are passing. Or even decentralizing it so that local boards are completly responsible to the parents instead of passing the buck. That tax money is not a right, it belongs to the tax payers, maybe if people could see a direct tie to what they pay and the local schools there would be more local involvment and a demand for fiscal responsibiity. If any other government funded project showed that minimal a result it would be axed.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by Arrianna; May 01, 2005 at 02:16 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    well what I meant is, our classrooms can potentially turn to your typical SAT workshops but for STAR testing and such

in english we would end up learning 10 vocabs a day instead of reading catcher in the rye and etc
    Last edited by Legend; Apr 30, 2005 at 11:59 PM.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Tithe may be famous one day Tithe may be famous one day Tithe's Avatar
    Thanks
    I hate it. mainly because it allows talk about religion in school. That seriously needs to be kept away from school. Also because like you said its more harmful than helpful.They spend more time and money helping stupid people that should just be flunked. It makes the smart people more stupid.
    A deathless heart alive with greif
    Smiles when it hears of thee
    Whisper now my secret love
    Kiss my lips and rise above

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    A truly smart person does not let a few slow children keep them from learning though. If your in a class with a "slow" person or a person who doesn't pay atention just say **** him and keep working in your textbook or on the assignment or whatever.

We are all going to have to except the fact that some people are just dumber than others and need to be told how to do something a million damn times.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    oh no, here we go again, well I gave my opinion about education when we had the arguement over testing, so I will be brief.

No Child Left Behind-sounds like a good system and a great idea, however the implementation and the factoring of the law is what is really screwy. My dad's school by state standards is one the best middle schools in the state, however due to three handicapped students, they failed NCLB. The main problem is that it doesn't account for the fact that handicapped students may not perform as well as normal students. The government assumes every student should be treated equally and they make the law as such.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.