Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No credit to the original artist

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks

No credit to the original artist

There are a lot of excellent walls in the AO anime wall gallery but how much of the anime is really drawn by the person whom submitted it, I hate it when people rip / "Extract" anime characters then paste them onto a new background...Then submit it without stating that they didnt draw it....

...personally I think its F!@#ing disrepectfull to the artist who spent hours designing and drawing the character then also creating a background with it just so another person comes along and ripps the anime and neglects to inform others that they DID'NT draw the anime....Your backgrounds are dull without the anime, but the anime alone isnt dull, and did you ask the origninal artist whether you can use there anime....I bet you would get a simple answer...

...Do you think people should submit anime walls that they didnt get the artist permission to "extract" the anime. or should it be a rule that you have to state if you didnt draw the anime.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    hm.....i agree with you to some degree....

but this goes back to the whole...wall anime fans vs. creators of the anime. Fans are only walling or basing original drawings on anime extractions because they want to promote and show their support for the work. Creators....just want their work protected.

Most respectful wallers will tell you that, if the creators of the anime told them not to use their work in wallpapers, they would stop. (I don't remember very well, but I believe there was some discussion and action on this from CLAMP?) Sadly some wallers are getting lazy and forget to credit the original works since....they think it's obvious in certain cases.

I think it's only fair that you always label and mention the original work done by the original creators. But I think it's going a little far to make people get permission from the original owners of the work if it's quite a large amount of work...JUST to get a wall done. (IE: contacting the copy right holder of commercial anime, etc). Of course, if it's work from someone the average person thinks they can contact (online anime/managa artist) then yeah~ get their permission. But in the case of EAO's galleries, most walls are made using commercial anime extractions.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah wallers are getting lazy..Some can actual draw anime but dont bother as its easier to rip instead, then they say it took 6hrs to do and they think thats a long time...My last wall (Cute Punk) took in total over 20 hours, good art isnt a five minute job patience is required.

As much as the walls great it PMeOff me that I spend so much time and effort on my wall and someone else spends a few hours and get high marks, just for making a BG (oh yeah a lil extraction).

Id just like it if they said that they created it or extracted it instead of ppl having to ask.
    Last edited by Kikieru; Jun 14, 2005 at 10:20 AM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Feel better?

If I can put in my two cents?

You're on a fan forum. Unless someone says they made the main image in a wall it is assumed it has been extracted from a commercial source.

When I rate a wallpaper I rate it on how good the wallpaper is not on whether they drew it themselves. A good extraction is not easy. Mergeing an image with a contructed background is not easy either. Clean up is a pain. If they do a good job I will let them know.

If you want me to rate your picture on how well you drew it put it in the artist gallery. There I rate it completely on individual talent.

Now if someone made a wall with an non-comercial source, ie. someone elses fanart and didn't credit them or get permission I would agree with you. The difference? The commercial source is from the anime/game/advertising its self. It's intended to be distributed. As long as the person making the extraction doesn't make a profit from their image the law considers it legit. Fan art however is still the legal property of the artist and to claim it's yours when it's not is stealing. (For that matter to claim you drew a commercial "scan" of any kind is also stealing.)

I would never use someone's fan art in a wall without permission and credit. Anything else is disrespectful.

PS. Time is relative. I can do in 4-5 hours what takes my husband days. Perhaps for them 6 hours is alot of time.

PPS. If you drew the image in "Cute Punk" I am impressed. I also LOVE your "Nebula".

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Everything that Arianna said.

I'll just say that if I see anime when I'm in an walling community or an art community, I usually think the person made the drawing, and it's usually true, especially since they specify the details most of the time. If I am not there, I look more in detail.

Thanks
    Thanks Arrianna...

...The scan for cute punk is in my gallery if you wana look however its the clean version, when I draw anime it goes through stages, Design, first complete sketch, cleaned complete sketch (traced from the complete sketch it helps reduce the cleaning time in PS).

...Its unfourtunate that people are so pressed for time (or just impatient), there are many who can draw anime very well buit its hard for them to color so they just give up...

...It would be nice to see more full colored anime from users. However it seems the gallerys are getting a little neglected, lots of views and so little comments (although most are probally guests).

Do you do much anime ?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not really. Sometimes I'll draw in an Anime "style" for fun. I practiced for years to be able to imitate just about anything. These days though I'm in the "pressed for time" catagory I'm afraid. That's why I use commercial extractions. I just don't have time for both the drawing and the photoshoping. (Shall I date myself and admit I've been using Photoshop since before there were numbers after the name and Illustrator didn't exist.) I'm going to imagine I'm not the only one without the time. Anyone?

Mind you, I'm not actually in the habit of posting original art on-line. I'm a little to possesive to post anything without some type of rip protection. (Note my questions in other threads on hidden signitures.)

Maybe it's time I uploaded one of my sketches anyway. Just don't be surprised if it has a watermark all over it. lol

PS. I'm proabably guilty of not commenting in the art gallery. I tend to be very technical and I didn't want to discourage anyone. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Arrianna; Jun 14, 2005 at 06:27 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    I admit as almost every waller in any site does, that they extract images for walls. But i always give credit where credit is due.
    Below each and everyone of my walls i always write "All images belong to their original creators".
    I my self have made wallpapers from image's i make.
    IT IS NOT RIPPING to extract images if u give credit!!
    -->Another thing i think it's disrespectful to say that wallers are rippers because they extract
    Question is someone that spends hours making a background and cleaning up and fixing an image for you and others here at ao to use as they're background; IS WRONG??

I don't have twenty hours striaght to make a nice little image to use in my walls, THough i spend hours and hours dawing 8 years of my life learing how to draw to be exact. If u dis-like wallers then don't look in the anime wallpapers section.
    I have spent to long learning how to make walls and use photoshop for someone to come along and say everything i have worked to accomplish is NOTHING but mere ripping of true artisits works.
    Sorry to upset u this is my opinion.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast