Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No credit to the original artist

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think Arrianna summed it up pretty well. I don't have much to add.

Ripping or extracting from a commercial source is okay, as long as you edit it enough so it has your style and can be distinguished from the original. Credit should also be given where credit is due, that is a really important part, and it is why many websites have a link to a disclaimer page on every page being viewed.

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well....when I look at a wallpaper, I know it's obvious that the person didn't draw the character, unless it's a fanart...I don't see why we should bother giving credit when we all know that the image was drawn but an other artist. I don't think it's disrespect, on the contrary, I would love to see people use my art for their own creation, it would prove to me that my work is appreciated and would make me want to create even more,

Newbie OracleAngel may be famous one day OracleAngel may be famous one day OracleAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: No credit to the original artist

But in general we as wallers are actually stealing copyrighted images from artists and studios so in turn we are slapping the faces of artists who wish not for their art not to be shown....But because its a trend its more about the copryright issues mainly on the background in general and not the image. But yes ripping ones art from another artist is really dementing and cruel and it has to be stopped, art is to be loved and respected by other people who use it....so yeah thats my small 2 cents...

~ Minitokyo | Blog/Fanfic | Imanimetions~
    "Imagination can move mountains.. no wonder no one believes us"

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Feel better?

If I can put in my two cents?

You're on a fan forum. Unless someone says they made the main image in a wall it is assumed it has been extracted from a commercial source.

When I rate a wallpaper I rate it on how good the wallpaper is not on whether they drew it themselves. A good extraction is not easy. Mergeing an image with a contructed background is not easy either. Clean up is a pain. If they do a good job I will let them know.

If you want me to rate your picture on how well you drew it put it in the artist gallery. There I rate it completely on individual talent.

Now if someone made a wall with an non-comercial source, ie. someone elses fanart and didn't credit them or get permission I would agree with you. The difference? The commercial source is from the anime/game/advertising its self. It's intended to be distributed. As long as the person making the extraction doesn't make a profit from their image the law considers it legit. Fan art however is still the legal property of the artist and to claim it's yours when it's not is stealing. (For that matter to claim you drew a commercial "scan" of any kind is also stealing.)

I would never use someone's fan art in a wall without permission and credit. Anything else is disrespectful.

PS. Time is relative. I can do in 4-5 hours what takes my husband days. Perhaps for them 6 hours is alot of time.

PPS. If you drew the image in "Cute Punk" I am impressed. I also LOVE your "Nebula".
    Most wallers do credit the maker of the anime. I'm one of them.
    Seduced by Flesh

Newbie lapuk may be famous one day lapuk may be famous one day lapuk's Avatar
    Thanks

just a question? have you ever thought about those who are really good with photoshop but doesn't really have your skills at drawing anime? a lot of people, me included, love making walls, but doesn't have the "hand" to draw gorgeous images that are of high quality which can be of actual use in walls.

ripping is terrible, but I have a slightly different definition of it. for me, ripping is done when you take credit for something that you did not make, not when you forget or wasn't able to give credit to the artist who drew the "ripped" image used in the wall. much worse when you commercially distribute artwork that isn't originally yours. just because you used an image drawn by someone else (as long as it isn't fan-art/doujinshi/sketch/whatever) in your wallpaper(which was made by you), even if for some reason you failed to give credit, in my books you're not a ripper. and to add to that,commercial anime artists are mainly concerned about the copyright of their works, as long as nobody else earns from stuff they originally created, or claims credit for it, i don't think they'll be pissed off. i bet they'll actually be proud to see that people are making wallpapers of their creations.
    those who make walls of popular anime, for me, doesn't really need to be forced to give credit simply because its already popular and almost everybody knows who did it anyway. it won't hurt. but it'll be better if you include credit. in truth and in fact, we(the people that you call rippers) are actually doing the artists a favor by distributing their work for no f%^&$*ing fee, showing to others that their creations are really of high quality because others like it

a wall's quality isn't measured by time but by the final product. 20hours? 6hours?4 hours? does time make the difference? hell no. a lot of good wallers can make better walls in less than five hours. its not just about the image, its about the entire wall.

for you to say(impliedly) that a " ripped" image with an original bg is worse compared to a wall with an original image and bg is completely absurd. bg making in photoshop requires necessary skills which takes time to master, and you also have to be creative to make an eye-catching background. sometimes a bg can make an average looking image look awesome..
    some artists might be good in drawing, but it doesn't automatically mean they are brilliant wallers.

wallers(those who make their own fu%^&*in walls) hate to be called rippers so please be a bit more sensitive with your choice of words. we make our own walls (even if i personally suck at it), yet just because we fail to give credit to the image's artists(who,mind you, i doubt will be able to see the wall anyway), we are already f%^&*in rippers? oh hell no! i 100% disagree with you..
    Last edited by lapuk; Jun 20, 2005 at 01:12 PM.

--> you

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks

just a question? have you ever thought about those who are really good with photoshop but doesn't really have your skills at drawing anime? a lot of people, me included, love making walls, but doesn't have the "hand" to draw gorgeous images that are of high quality which can be of actual use in walls.
    I wasnt born with such ability, I Started photoshop and drawing 5 years, yes it was hard to gain this skill, but to be honest its takes alot longer to draw and color a character than it is to make a BG for it. The last anime wall I did took over 21 hours to do and 17 of them only on the anime, 4 on the wall,

the anime character alone is interesting but the BG compliments it but to be fair the BG alone will be dull without the anime,

personally just becouse you cant draw anime at the same level as the one you extracted (yes the ripper part was incensetive and im sorry for that.) but you learnt to extract/blend and create BG's, now this is easier than creating a fully drawn/colored anime wall and takes less time however it doesnt mean you cant learn to do your own full anime walls, now dont give me the BS about time, if you spend time on extracting and BG you have time to learn/draw and color anime walls (theres plenty of tutorials out there), it simply takes longer to produce full anime walls even if you cr*p at it you will improve if you try..I Did.

actually doing the artists a favor by distributing their work for no f%^&$*ing fee
    This is an assumption.

Should you reproduce, loan, distribute, or sell all or any part of this volume, for profit or no, without the express permission of masamune shirow, you will not only be punished to the full extent of the law, but will also fall prey to the dread curse of the masamune.
    Taken from p1 of Intron Depot 3: Ballistics.

Newbie lapuk may be famous one day lapuk may be famous one day lapuk's Avatar
    Thanks

not once have i ever said that you were born with drawing skills. not once.. but what's wrong with you is that you keep on comparing yourself with others, others who have just started getting interest with anime and wall making.yeah you drew your chara for 17 hours, yeah you drew it by yourself, so what? be proud about it but not try to suggest it to anyone to follow suit. so what the hell do you want us to do? stop making walls? try to learn how to draw first? that is pathetic.. you may not be saying that literally but impliedly thats where you are getting at. trust me i tried to learn how to draw, but unfortunately i was never really good at it. but does that mean i should stop making walls coz i can't make my own chara? oh definitely not. don't brag about it no more. you mentioned your "accomplishment" at least twice already.

its definitely not about time so i wont give you the capital BS. happy? but the problem is, not all has the skill to draw high quality images, even if i dedicate enough time to learn it.. i know how to draw but not up to the level of quality wall images should be.. if i try to slap my own images on a wall that i want to make, it'll just destroy it.. get my point? i tried, trust me..

as for the favor thing.. i never said that ALL artists allow others to use their creations for profit or not.. but definitely most do.. i don't think i need to prove it with a link or an excerpt. as far as i know not one waller has ever been brought to court because he /she used an ectracted image. nor have i heard a waller that suffered from masamune's curse.. a huge majority of wallers use exctracted image, but they are never called rippers.. i personally believe that its totally legit, as long as you don't sell it..

--> you

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

OK I see this topic is a flame waiting to happen. Topic Closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3