Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Pre-Owned PS3 games

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

No Pre-Owned PS3 games

A PATENT may allow Sony to ensure that no game would be playable from any console other than the one in which it was first read.

Joystiq is reporting that this patent is the source of the many rumours that will mean as much to gamers as DRM is for music fans.

The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it.

But this has caused considerable backlash from the gaming community. While many are aware of the double profit companies make on pre-owned games, this would ensure the death of trading games between friends and even going to a friend's house to play a little multiplayer.

No less than Ken Kataguri himself is listed among the inventors, which makes it look like this is a move that came from very high up. It has already been pointed out that many Playstation users have had to replace their console, surely this would leave us high and dry in that event.

While the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent in English or Japanese it would be the obvious place to employ this new technology, regardless of how little gamers will appreciate it. Between this and the DRM scandal, Sony could be looking at a serious drop in interest in the PS3. You can be sure you'll see more on this as it develops. As gamers, we can only hope that modern technology won't undermine the tried and tested barter system.
    Sauce: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

Sony's just shooting themselves in the foot if they do this, they might as well give the gaming industry to M$ on a silver platter. No borrowing, trading, buying cheap games, selling old PS3 games would be out of the question, no renting. With so many restrictions, and the whole bit if your PS3 were to break and you get a new one -- and we all know that will happen because this is SONY we're talking about -- you're ****ed.

I really hope this isn't employed.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: No Pre-Owned PS3 games

Grumble Grumble Grumble

They may have gotten a hint from the Manga industry in Japan. The total Manga market in Japan is roughly 15% smaller then it was 10 years ago. The growth of used Manga shops, and Cafe shops with 'free' manga browsing have been a major contributor to this. The growing issue of software piracy of console games, and the bootleg market in counterfeit movie DVDs is also contributing to the increased use of Digital Rights Management routines...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure I believe that story...I don't think that Sony would be that stupid. This could be something put out by the Xbox faction to try and curb more interest towards the 360. It would make no sense for any system to implement that kind of strategy.

And I remember now, at the top of my lungs in my arms, she dies, she dies.

Controlling you through a chip in your butt since 2004

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for company...

bad for poor, popular gamer...

::from Soshi Kitai::

I'll only start complaining if they won't allow you to play if they cannot match your fingerprints...

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks

From a pure conspiracy theory point of view, if Sony, or any other console/entertainment system really goes through with this, who is to stop them from purposly sabotaging systems in order to make people keep buying and buying new ones? I know it's a long shot theory, but a lot of people would get suspicious right off the bat about this. Plus, does Sony, or anyone else for that matter, really think that the general customer would just take that? "oh, my PS3 broke; now I have to but a new one, plus replace all the games that now won't play on a new system" I just really don't think anyone would be that dumb, except maybe Bill Gates, cause he's a control freak, but that's beside the point.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I read that article yesterday, but thought it was a bit too ludacris to put into this site thinking you guys would ridicule me...and going back onto topic this is a pretty stupid thing to do for Sony. Let's just say even if they manage to get this done, there are always tech people who can break through

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

Lol, guess I'd better get me some techie friends!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

i doubt they do it... i mean preowned games is a big industry.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast