Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: obesity

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikinaki
    Well some say McDonalds and other fastfood distributioners are the one to blame, so i suggest that the government or any other institution with a great lobbying power should put some restrictions on fastfood. For instance lowering the amount of unhealthy fat and make fastfood a whole lot expensiver than it is.

The current low price of fastfood attracts more people than ever to buy and eat them and that may be the source of all this unhealthiness. This will cause of course much commotion if such restrictions takes place, but it may be the only solution to the problem, otherwise a whole lots of things will change in the near future.
    I saw Supersize me last year and even after seeing that I still don't blame the fast food places for the cause of excessive weight gain. The so called "Obesity epidemic" has only been from the last 10-15 years and fast food places have been around for a lot longer than that. And in all honesty if someone is obese because they eat McDonald's 5 times a week it's their own damn fault. It's not new news that fast food places are fattening so really people should know better by now, it's like cigarettes, you just can't feel sympathy for someone who is knowingly hurting their own body.

There should be no reason to put restrictions on fast food places, if people really wanted to lose weight they wouldn't go stuff their faces with pure fat everytime they were hungry. And as for the low prices, I would like to know where you live because fast food ain't cheap. Not from where I live anyways (Canada). Almost 3 bucks for a hamburger at McDonald's is not what I would call cheap. A normal meal cost like 7 bucks with taxes and all you get is a burger, fries and a drink. That should be like 3 bucks plus tax at most. I lose more money eating at fast food places than I do if I go to the super market and buy food. So It's not the low prices because all fast food does is empty my wallet. The only cheap place I know of is Wendy's and they have stuff like Chili and baked potatoes on their value menu and those aren't fattening.

My only complaint about fast food places is that their "healthy menu" is really over priced and most people can't afford to eat off the healthier menu. I know I can't afford a 8 dollar salad everytime I feel the need to eat healthy at a fast food place.
    So honestly I have just about cut eating from those places out of my life and now I have a lot more money.

It's easy to blame one source for the cause of obesity but the problem isn't the restaurants, the problem is the people who are fat. Honestly, unless it's a medical condition if you're fat it's really all your fault. If you're depressed and eating is a way to cope, well then go get help for your depression instead of sitting around crying cause your fat because you're so depressed while eating 3 big Macs and a 2 liter jug of ice cream.

One of the main reasons people are suddenly becoming so overweight is because everyone has become so damn lazy. Television, Video Games, and Computers have really taken over active play. When I was a kid all the kids on my street would be out running around, riding their bikes and playing sports now I hardly ever see kids out playing. While there are some, it's nothing like what it used to be.
    The government(Where I live) has also cut back on funding in recreational sports. If you want to play a summer sport here you have to shell out like 500 bucks over the summer just so you can play because it's the only way it can stay funded. It's ridiculous, in the last 6 years where I live the number of people playing summer soccer has dropped like 50% they don't even have enough people interested in it to make any teams anymore.

School could also be to blame, in some elementary schools kids only get like 1-2 hours of gym class a week. When I was in highschool we only had mandatory gym till grade 10, grade 11 was optional and grade 12 didn't have gym class. As kids get older their metabolisms slow so in actuality the older you get the more physical activity you should have, so gym class in grade 12 is essential and it should be mandatory. Cutting it out completely is not the way to go. Once you get less active your metabolism slows down and it's a lot harder to lose the weight.

With that said, I am sure fast food places are a lot healthier now a days than they were 30 years ago, so in reality the weight gain has nothing to do with fast food places and more thank likely to do with the fact that technology has turned us all into lazy "fat slobs" - (quote MoonUnit) People should really be taking responsibility for the fact they are getting over weight. Everyone knows about the health risks of eating fast food, so unless the restaurant holds you down and shoves their food down your throat you can't blame them for your 200 pounds of excess fat.
    Last edited by Meiwaku; May 04, 2005 at 08:27 PM.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiwaku
    My only complaint about fast food places is that their "healthy menu" is really over priced and most people can't afford to eat off the healthier menu. I know I can't afford a 8 dollar salad everytime I feel the need to eat healthy at a fast food place.
    So honestly I have just about cut eating from those places out of my life and now I have a lot more money.
    They charge you $8 there!!?? In the US it's $1-3, at least where I live. The salads cost less then the burgers unless you buy a "sniff" burger (one sniff and it's gone).

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    They charge you $8 there!!?? In the US it's $1-3, at least where I live. The salads cost less then the burgers unless you buy a "sniff" burger (one sniff and it's gone).
    Yeah to get any of their new salads it's like 6-7 bucks plus tax. The 2 dollar salads have like 5 pieces of lettuce and are so small that you can eat it in 2 bites.
    Canada is home of GST, PST and tax on the tax, so yeah everything here is insanely expensive once tax is added.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren
    Naturally lazy? I don't think so... Humans used to primarily hunt and gather, and then till their own food in fields... If anything, humans are naturally active. They have become lazy because of convenience. Microwavable meals, cars & other transportation systems, fast food... And who needs to take a walk down to the pubs to find out the local news anymore? We have TV, the internet... No, humans have become lazy.
    well ok i see ur point.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku bugsbunnyx may be famous one day bugsbunnyx may be famous one day
    Thanks
    dont worry so much about it....its just a "fad",humans will grow out of it eventually.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe America is getting fatter and fatter and the fast food companies are partly to blame. Though they did not force America to eat their food, they used marketing tactics to entice customers to taste their food, so they are responsible to a certain degree. However, it boils to the individual and the parents of children, today Americans are working longer hours and working harder and putting in more time than Europe and Asia today. This lack of time spent with the family caused the parents to find a quick alternative to the meal dinner usually served at night, hence the fast food chains gobbled this up and so parents started to feed their kids junk in order to be more productive and to balance their parental and worker lives. Also, the entertainment industry, including tv and video games have caused children to stay indoors now more than ever, with the advent of new technology people have started to stay indoors. So, there are many factors why America is the way it is, also even now, like Mei said, fast food companies are now even still trying to figure out ways to make a buck.

Also, the advent of these diet crazes aren't helping either, most of them are bogus anyway and really in the long run, they do no help.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNi
    Also, the advent of these diet crazes aren't helping either, most of them are bogus anyway and really in the long run, they do no help.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

You have obesity from a medical standpoint, and then you have obesity from a societal standpoint. No one's mentioned that being overweight from society's point of view is significantly less than from a medical point of view.

What I mean to say is that you can be a size 7-9 pants and be considered "fat" by society. It's all because of the impossible standard they expect us to maintain. I think 7-9 is pretty average, but society and the media forces us to think that 1-3 is the size to aim for. That's almost impossible unless your small structurally and not everyone is. That size is unhealthy for most people.

Hundreds of years ago it was considered attractive to have a little fat on you. It goes to show how people have changed so drastically.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hundreds of years ago it was considered attractive to have a little fat on you. It goes to show how people have changed so drastically.
    hey i still consider having a little fats good, there's just a level were it get's wrong, i watched this programme about texas, there is a woman who is 44 stone and still wears catsuits. *shudders*.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast