View Poll Results: Should Schools Offer A Healthier Lunch Meal?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 91.30%
  • No

2 8.70%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Obesity

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Obesity

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I don't believe in the obesity epidemic. Obesity is real, and it's easy to recognize. However I have watched as they keep lowering the weight limit to determine if someone is overweight or obese.

Here's a test for you. [Weight (lbs) ÷ height (in)2 ] x 704.5 =BMI] If your score is 30 or more you're thought to be obese, 25-29.9 is considered overweight.

Now here's the kicker. According to their calculations if you are 5' tall and weigh 130 you are overweight and at 155 you are considered obese. Or shall we try the average heighths for men and women? At 5'6" 155lbs is considered overweight and 185lbs is obese. At 5'8" 165lbs is overweight and 195lbs is obese.

However every person I know that is physically fit by their calculations is at the least considered overweight. For me that is less then 20lbs difference between my "ideal" weight when I was at my fittest and them telling me I need to worry about a heart attack.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I know people who are obese. Most of them eat less then anyone else I know. Real obesity in my experience is usually not caused by lack of self control. Bottom line, this obsession with idealized body types in my opinion is unhealthy and trivializes or ostrisizes those with real problems.
    Once again Lady Baronmore, you speak my mind.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Newbie Vasarian may be famous one day Vasarian may be famous one day Vasarian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheza
    yea I mean the so call healthy meals are just processed meat that is left over like all the fat from animals to make hot dogs....that is just disgusting.....I mean kids should get a meal that doesn't contain so much fat....and people are just to self centered to look around and say that their kids have a problem...Like I was watching the news and this doctor told his patient that she was too fat and she sued him because he made that comment....What is wrong with people today??
    Yeah it's pretty sad when you see little kids who eat so much greasy food.... but they grow up eating this and after they think it's normal to eat that much junk food... but I must say that some parents are dumb or lazy.... junk food is cheap and needs no time to prepare... but it's true that some people are fat just because of genetics and they can do nothing about it, but the others.... I just hate when I ear somoene who is fat: I don't wanna do exercices, I get sweaty or exausthed to fast... or the no I don't to... man those people will get a heart attack a 40 years old and they sweat like hell just by walking in the grocery store or waiting in line at the Macdonald

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking
    I agree with you although I do not have the problem. Some people see eating as a way to escape reality (kinda like me with anime). But there is a limit to everything and unless its because of some medical problem you should't be obese.
    I agree but enough is enough!!!! I mean there is a limit....
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Fast Food Restaurants like McDonalds are responsible for Obesity because they sell cheap food with high content of fat and other stuff that makes you obese .

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Obesity

Fast Food Restaurants like McDonalds are responsible for Obesity because they sell cheap food with high content of fat and other stuff that makes you obese .
    Exactly!!!! I mean would it kill you to just make yourself a healthy meal? More of todays youth only want to eat fast food and not only kids...adults too...I mean fine if you want your life span to decrease but why can't u just do something about it???

I weighed 295 which scared me
    had heart problems
    so I worked out everyday
    and still do except lately pulled muscle (ow)
    now I weigh 205 and I'm very muscular too
    can bench 250lbs. and go hiking on the weekends
    also since losing weight I cant handle caffeine
    my body's to lean for it now it's
    producing caffeine at much higher rate than
    normal so I'm hyper I thought about
    putting in a spicket and starting a starbucks lol
    Why can't everyone just realize that obesity IS an issue with todays youth? I mean if u tell a mother that she would probably say that they are growing kids and/or big boned...that has nothing to do with it......

WAKE UP AMERICA UR FAT!!!!!!
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I don't believe in the obesity epidemic. Obesity is real, and it's easy to recognize. However I have watched as they keep lowering the weight limit to determine if someone is overweight or obese.

Here's a test for you. [Weight (lbs) ÷ height (in)2 ] x 704.5 =BMI] If your score is 30 or more you're thought to be obese, 25-29.9 is considered overweight.

Now here's the kicker. According to their calculations if you are 5' tall and weigh 130 you are overweight and at 155 you are considered obese. Or shall we try the average heighths for men and women? At 5'6" 155lbs is considered overweight and 185lbs is obese. At 5'8" 165lbs is overweight and 195lbs is obese.

However every person I know that is physically fit by their calculations is at the least considered overweight. For me that is less then 20lbs difference between my "ideal" weight when I was at my fittest and them telling me I need to worry about a heart attack.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I know people who are obese. Most of them eat less then anyone else I know. Real obesity in my experience is usually not caused by lack of self control. Bottom line, this obsession with idealized body types in my opinion is unhealthy and trivializes or ostrisizes those with real problems.

That is one way to calculate BMI, but you are not factoring in the critical variables of sex and age. BMI works on a curve that reflects different results for men, women, and preteen children.

I find it funny that this thread starts off with an intelligent debate topic- obesity - but quickly declined to people making ignorant and tired "Americans-Fat-Slob-McDonalds" jokes---and one fat mexican joke. I have no problem if it started with the fat jokes and stayed there,,,,after all I have no sense of right or wrong,,,but stay the course. If you want to sound like you actually care, leave the jokes for the non-debate section.

Oh, and typically if you are under 15BMI, you are considered dangerously mal-nourished, and if living with parents/guardians, the Department of Social Services could have you taken away.

Thanks

My advice is to work out and live healthy if you want to live to be and old person....I mean if you are obese you can just have a heart attack or something.....I feel sorry for people who just won't admit it and won't do something about their weight....

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheza
    My advice is to work out and live healthy if you want to live to be and old person....I mean if you are obese you can just have a heart attack or something.....I feel sorry for people who just won't admit it and won't do something about their weight....
    Really ask yourself if you actually care about the health of a stranger. Or is it that because you are of "normal" appearance, you can not stand the site of obese people.

Heart attacks are more common from genetic factors than straight obesity.

Most everyone on this thread are ignorant to the fact that obesity is just as much of a disease as depression or alcoholism. With either one, you can not just tell the person to snap out of it and stop being depressed/obese. You can't even have them recognize their own issues most of the time.

And what if some of these people, despite the known health risks, don't care and enjoy being morbidly obese? Isn't it their right to eat themselves to death?

[edited ignorance]
    Last edited by know1; Sep 02, 2005 at 08:22 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast