Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official EDM Thread

Otaku Wobbuffetking may be famous one day Wobbuffetking may be famous one day
    Thanks

The Official EDM Thread

I'm now making this thread for discussion of any type of EDM music (Trance, Techno, Goa, House, Trip-Hop ect.) and all types of EDM music. Use this thread to discuss classic tracks, recent tracks, artists, livesets, EDM based news, ect. Just remember to please make a discussion out of it that way this thread will be informational and will stay open.

I've been listening to a lot of older trance lately. I just started to listen to trance back in 2003 so I thought that I would go back to the pre-2000 era and check out what I missed. I sure did miss out on a lot. There were tons and tons of good tracks coming out back then. Here are some tracks that I'm really fond of:

William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings (Ferry Corsten Remix)
    Veracocha - Carte Blanche
    Sasha - Xpander
    Binary Finary - 1998
    Disco Citizens - Nagasaki Badger (Chicane Remix)
    Chicane Feat. Justine Suissa - Autumn Tactics (The Thrillseekers Remix)
    Orbital - Halcyon + On + On
    Orbital - Belfast
    Underworld - Long & Dark (Dark Train Remix)
    Too cool for a sig.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Trip-Hop being in the EDM family is something i'd be happy to talk about. lately i've been listening to alot of Massive Attack (my favorite trip hop group) and even more so recently because i came across a very rare cd by them called "Nexus: vol.1" It's a b-sides and rarities collection....incredible stuff here. Needless to say it's been on HEAVY rotation over the last 2 weeks. I also have "Plexus: vol.2" which is the 2nd disk. Alot of splendid remixes and hard to find tracks. Sick.

Newbie obliteration may be famous one day obliteration may be famous one day obliteration's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbuffetking
    I've been listening to a lot of older trance lately. I just started to listen to trance back in 2003 so I thought that I would go back to the pre-2000 era and check out what I missed. I sure did miss out on a lot. There were tons and tons of good tracks coming out back then.
    Go even further and check out some of the pre-'96 trance, man. It's much less accessible than the stuff to come out in the following years, but I think you'll dig it.

That aside, I ordered a couple new rekkids today. I got Dissidenten's The Jungle Book Part II (Incl. Sven Väth's Mantra Trance remix) and Age of Love's The Age of Love Remixes (Incl. Jam & Spoon, PvD, and Baby Doc remixes).

[ Romans 1:6: And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. ]

Otaku Wobbuffetking may be famous one day Wobbuffetking may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Go even further and check out some of the pre-'96 trance, man. It's much less accessible than the stuff to come out in the following years, but I think you'll dig it.
    What would you recommend? I tried the TranceAddict forums but alas, nothing came up.
    Too cool for a sig.

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by obliteration
    I got Dissidenten's The Jungle Book Part II (Incl. Sven Väth's Mantra Trance remix) and Age of Love's The Age of Love Remixes (Incl. Jam & Spoon, PvD, and Baby Doc remixes).
    I never really liked Age of Love and the remake along with its remixes were even worse. That Marco V remix....just ewww.

What would you recommend? I tried the TranceAddict forums but alas, nothing came up.
    Umm...learn how to use the search tool better?

There have plenty of newb threads asking for elitest's recommendations as to what they considered to be "good" trance back in the day since they always puff their chests out and bitch about the likes of Tijs, Schulz, Armin and the whole Armada crew ruining the whole concept of innovation and progression in trance.

Anyways, just bring back Transa.
    gg

-edit-
    Oh yeah pre-2000 recommendations....too lazy to look through my winamp playlist and find all my old CD's but I do remember listening to Vorsprung Dyk Technik a lot my early years in high school.
    Last edited by Skillzpay; Apr 27, 2005 at 12:50 AM.

Newbie obliteration may be famous one day obliteration may be famous one day obliteration's Avatar
    Thanks
    A bunch of stuff from the Harthouse, Eye-Q, and early Platipus labels is worth checking out. As for actual tracks

Progressive Attack - Hypnotic Harmony (Part II)
    Progressive Attack - Rosi's World
    Beyond - Opus
    Beyond - Silver
    Dag & Allan - Another Hot Day At The Bay
    Dance 2 Trance - We Came In Peace
    Hands On Yello - Great Mission
    Mikerobenics - Julika
    Mikerobenics - Replica
    Jones & Stephenson - The First Rebirth
    Sven Väth - Ritual Of Life (Original, Tribal Acid, and Spicelab mixes)
    Spicelab - Amorph
    Spicelab - The Spirit of Fear
    Spicelab - Falling
    Pan & Trex - Iceman On The Beach (Remix)
    Razor's Edge - Exquisite Sin (Exquisite Dream and Exquisite Acid mixes)
    Caucasuss - Our Dream
    Caucasuss - Dream Scape
    Odyssee of Noises - Firedance (The Sunrise)
    Earth Nation - Alienated (Earth Mix)
    Zyon - No Fate (Struggle Continues Mix)
    Chakra - Brain In The Box
    Chakra - Hell Razor Puzzle
    Kode IV - Near To The Divine (Official Doof Remix)
    Doof - Let's Turn On
    Juno Reactor - Guardian Angel
    Hallucinogen - Angelic Particles
    Hallucinogen - LSD (and everything else on his Twisted album)
    Man With No Name - Teleport
    Man With No Name - Lunar Cycle
    Capricorn - 20Hz
    Art of Trance - Octopus (Man With No Name and Capricorn mixes)
    Art of Trance - Kaleidoscope
    Art of Trance - Deeper Than Deep
    Art of Trance - Cambodia (Tunnel Vision Mix)
    Union Jack - Two Full Moons And A Trout
    Union Jack - Red Herring
    Union Jack - Cactus
    Poltergeist - Vicious Circles (Union Jack Remix)
    Virtuart - Time Cruncher

Some of the above tracks came out post-'96, but they still conform to the old school trance archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay
    I never really liked Age of Love and the remake along with its remixes were even worse. That Marco V remix....just ewww.
    Most of the remixes put out last year were crap, unfortunately.

The main reason I picked it up was because some of the stuff Jam & Spoon did with their Hands On Yello alias was pretty interesting, so I was wondering what they did with the track, and it was pretty cheap to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay
    There have plenty of newb threads asking for elitest's recommendations as to what they considered to be "good" trance back in the day since they always puff their chests out and bitch about the likes of Tijs, Schulz, Armin and the whole Armada crew ruining the whole concept of innovation and progression in trance.
    We're not all elitists, man. There are some pretty outspoken ones among us old school trance fans on TA, but I don't think we as a majority hate what's coming out today; albeit, we may think it too formulaic and anthemic.

[ Romans 1:6: And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. ]

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    try out some electronica by

Chemical Brothers
    More Underworld
    Prodigy
    Photek
    -Aphex Twin_ Rocks baby
    Juno Reactor
    Plus don't forget the veterans of trance
    Paul Van Dyk
    Paul Oakenfold

If you are looking for new hard trance-try out a guy called Koji Biomeckanica-I listened to him on BBC's Radio One Essential Mix, he is freakin crazy.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by obliteration
    We're not all elitists, man. There are some pretty outspoken ones among us old school trance fans on TA, but I don't think we as a majority hate what's coming out today; albeit, we may think it too formulaic and anthemic.
    Well I'm not talking about all the longer staying/veteran TAs in general as being elitests, I'm just talking about the large handful of outspoken ones that you mentioned. Some of the others have still stuck by today's sound but I don't know....still seems apparent to me plenty despise of what's coming out now, even the quieter ones. It's pretty tiresome at this point to see them continue to rehash all the same cynical comments, how many more years do they want to keep it up? I mean I've been around there since late 2001, didnt sign up till mid 2002, but I've never seen things get as ugly as it has now and it isn't nearly as helpful as it once was.
    Really the only good things about TA at this point are CORe, maybe Unknown Tracks, and the local scene boards.

And formulaic, anthemic, whatever you want to call it, I could careless, just as long as it sounds good to my ears and is danceable to when I hear it out on the dancefloor, which really is the main purpose imo. To have to criticially analyze the music and apply personal expectations as to where the music should be going is just going to make the new stuff all the more worse.

Oh yeah, thread topic lol. A couple off the top of my head...
    Balearic Bill - Destination Sunshine (DJ Tiesto Power Mix)
    BT & PvD - Namistai
    BT - Godspeed
    CJ Bolland - The Prophet
    All old stuff from Tilt, Transa, and PvD really did it for me back then

On a sidenote, I shed a tear everytime you're not there to greet me into San Jo, when I goto class, obliteration T_T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast