Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official EDM Thread

Newbie VampireHunterD may be famous one day VampireHunterD may be famous one day VampireHunterD's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay
    Well I'm not talking about all the longer staying/veteran TAs in general as being elitests, I'm just talking about the large handful of outspoken ones that you mentioned. Some of the others have still stuck by today's sound but I don't know....still seems apparent to me plenty despise of what's coming out now, even the quieter ones. It's pretty tiresome at this point to see them continue to rehash all the same cynical comments, how many more years do they want to keep it up? I mean I've been around there since late 2001, didnt sign up till mid 2002, but I've never seen things get as ugly as it has now and it isn't nearly as helpful as it once was.
    Really the only good things about TA at this point are CORe, maybe Unknown Tracks, and the local scene boards.
    I totally agree.

Some of my favs currently.
    Rachael Starr - Till There Was You (Gabrial & Dresden Remix)
    Ferry Corsten - It's Time
    Armin Van Buuren - Shivers
    Whiteroom - Whiteroom
    Dumonde - Ich Will Raus (Alphazone Vs Ralph Novell)
    Woodshokk - Tulips & Chocolate
    Beam - Amun (Cosmic Gate Remix)

My Blog - It's Not Your Space - ym/aim: RaiserOfGales msn: RaiserOfGales @ hotmail.com

Newbie obliteration may be famous one day obliteration may be famous one day obliteration's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNi
    If you are looking for new hard trance-try out a guy called Koji Biomeckanica-I listened to him on BBC's Radio One Essential Mix, he is freakin crazy.
    Yoji produces hardstyle, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay
    Well I'm not talking about all the longer staying/veteran TAs in general as being elitests, I'm just talking about the large handful of outspoken ones that you mentioned. Some of the others have still stuck by today's sound but I don't know....still seems apparent to me plenty despise of what's coming out now, even the quieter ones. It's pretty tiresome at this point to see them continue to rehash all the same cynical comments, how many more years do they want to keep it up? I mean I've been around there since late 2001, didnt sign up till mid 2002, but I've never seen things get as ugly as it has now and it isn't nearly as helpful as it once was.
    Really the only good things about TA at this point are CORe, maybe Unknown Tracks, and the local scene boards.
    I hear ya, man. In defense of the others who have grown weary of modern trance, however, I do think they have a point, and I don't think their dissatisfaction with the genre's current state is without a decent reason. Trance music nowadays will usually only entertain an individual for a couple years or so before said individual moves on to a different sound, and as much as I hate to admit it, I can easily see why. I s'pose the problem isn't the fact that the new stuff is formulaic or anthemic - because almost all trance is formulaic to its respective subgenre, and most trance is anthemic, more or less - but rather that the stuff being put out as trance since '98 (it's been around a few years before then, really) and the stuff post-2000, in particular, tends to abuse the two aforementioned qualities and progressively take them to new levels. Really, there's nothing wrong with the breakdown - buildup structure, but when it's being used on every other release, it can really get old.

On the other side of things, the progressive scene isn't helping matters, either, as the purge of the more "high-energy" side of trance and the "more intellectual than thou" attitudes ("uplifting" trance fans are also guilty of similar attitudes, of course) advocated by some TAs is only serving to polarize the scene. The end result is that both sides, in their attempts to purge themselves of traits usually common on the opposing side, don't even produce trance any longer, for the most part. I still think that there's a bunch of great stuff coming out from both sides, and those who've attempted to depolarize the two scenes have done so very well, but it still is no longer trance; it's house.

I don't know about the others, but I sought to discover a more pure form of trance after Oldo's hub went down last year and I found myself unhappy with much of what was being put out. In my search to discover trance's roots, I found the music, though still formulaic for its time, to be much more diverse and that many producers at the time tended to put more thought into their compositions (IMHO). Now that isn't to say that the stuff back then is any better than the stuff now, but rather than seeking to make the newest, hottest, floor-filling club ch00n, the most uplifting melodic arrangement, or even seeking to be the most "progressive", artists back then opted to simply go for the key ingredient to trance - the aural hypnotism. Everything else was an added bonus, essentially. In turn, an individual listening to the music wouldn't only be able to experience more blissed-out emotions found in the current scene, but many cold and utterly disphoric ones as well, not to mention the music being far more entrancing than it is now. I think it's for these reasons, that some of us old schoolers are so elite, and why many don't appreciate the scene as much as they once did. Of course, this is merely based on what I've observed within the trance community. With any luck, though, the scene should experience much better material in the next couple years.

I agree with you about what you said earlier, though. It's best not to care what other people tell you, like what you like.

And shit, bro. Lemme know next time you go to class, not only will I greet you, I'll walk you to class.

By the way, does anyone happen to know where I can find Bam Bam - Where's Your Child? I've looked on eBay, and come across the LP a couple times, but it was too expensive for me at the time. I'm looking for some online shops that have it in stock, though it's unlikely considering how old it is.

[ Romans 1:6: And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. ]

Otaku Wobbuffetking may be famous one day Wobbuffetking may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I still go by the rule that if I like how it sounds then I like it. I don't care if it's considered "bad" in a lot of peoples eyes. I only care if I like it or not. For example take Gabriel & Dresden and Probspot, many people would probably agree (I'm one of them) that their music all sounds very similar. Now I would consider that bad if I thought that they made bad music but I happen to like their music.

Just some tracks that I'm currently digging right now:

Dylan Rhymes - Salty Feat. Katherine Ellis
    Filo & Peri Feat. Kathleen Fisher - Closer Now (Whiteroom Remix)
    Fred Baker Vs. Nyram - Confirmation
    Jase From Outta Space - Do What U Want (Max Graham's Afterhours In Montreal Remix)
    Adam White - Ballerina
    Juliet - Avalon (Jacques Lu Cont Mix)
    Kaste - Desert Eagle (Original and Smith & Pledger Remix)
    Motorcycle - Around You (Gabriel & Dresden Remix)
    Too cool for a sig.

Newbie obliteration may be famous one day obliteration may be famous one day obliteration's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbuffetking
    I still go by the rule that if I like how it sounds then I like it. I don't care if it's considered "bad" in a lot of peoples eyes. I only care if I like it or not. For example take Gabriel & Dresden and Probspot, many people would probably agree (I'm one of them) that their music all sounds very similar. Now I would consider that bad if I thought that they made bad music but I happen to like their music.
    It's great that you like what you do, but I was just pointing out some of the possible reasons as to why the scene isn't doing as well.

Ho-hum, as for current favs:

Patrick Lindsey & Gregor Treshor - Confidence
    Juan Atkins - Session 1
    Sander van Doorn - Bling Bling
    Marko Nastic - Devil In My Pants
    Hardfloor - Groupie Love
    Dave Armstrong - Love Has Gone (Instrumental Mix)
    Suicide Commando - Neuro Suspension

[ Romans 1:6: And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. ]

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks
    Yeah, your ears at a certain point can get tired or bored of it. And I know there are times where the music all begins to sound the same, especially if you're listening to lots of ASOT type of shows, but I think that's kind of inevitable when ppl confine themselves to a single genre, so why bother to even get riled up? Just diversify what you listen to but restrain yourself from comparing genres, it just isn't fair. I've tried to do exactly that as I've found myself being exposed to a lot of house, especially from one of the FLTAs I talk to online a lot. And disco house.....well I don't know how he's gotten me to accept it but I gradually have come to appreciate it o_O

And whole "progressive" description has become kinda blurry at this point. I even have a tough time sometimes at distinguishing what exactly is progressive be it in trance, house, etc. Anyways, I remember when ppl a few years ago were touting how great progressive trance was and then Gabriel & Dresden wowed everybody with Beautiful Things. There was a much larger increase in the number of people that were joining the scene around that point, then even more with ATRC, and they all began to dig the whole, what so many like to call now "McProg" or "American trance." Seemed to me after the huge influx of virgin trance listeners, the more experienced listeners got pretty turned off, not so much by the direction of the music, but by having others discovering their beloved music that they had all to themselves and progressive trance became a dirty word. Sooner or later I think the newbies are going to delve into what the rest are listening to again and then that'll become the new hated "McProg," and the cycle will just continue.

You should try the SVD Mix of Bling Bling, it's thick and filthy. It's always interesting how when he mixes his own productions they become so much more wicked.

Thanks
    The whole problem with "progressive" dance is that the genre technically doesn't exist. It's been argued amongst the fans of that particular sound for years and the only thing that makes "progressive" dance "progressive" thus far is the fact that certain loops within a track are said to mutate over time. The issue that arises from this is the fact that the said attribute has existed much longer within the EDM community and extends to many, many more genres than most "progressive" elitists are willing to admit. Moreover, the fact that those dictating what is "progressive" and what is not have yet to aptly describe just how the various loops and samples mutate. Even so, much of what is being called "progressive" doesn't even contain the key attribute necessary to be correctly labeled as such. Unless, that is, if you consider the addition and removal of new instruments and layers progressive, in which case everything is progressive.

And I haven't heard the Doorn's remix of the track, yet. Though the original mix is so good I think I'll just have to pick this one up.
    Last edited by obliteration; Apr 28, 2005 at 11:35 PM.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would like to know, is there like a ruling body over EDM, like a organization which follows these trends and updates on how they influence culture and such.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks
    o_O

No, you just have to analyze the trends yourself amongst the clubs, forums, radioshows, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast