Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The one that started it all for you

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks

The one that started it all for you

I was just curious, what anime (or maybe even manga?) got you hooked on the genra? Everyone had to start somewhere, so please feel free to share with me your animic origins =)

For me, Outlaw Star was the one. I was over at a friend's house and he had an episode playing on his computer when i showed up. All in one moment, i discovered anime, regained faith in cartoons, and saw my first Werecat.

Little did i know it would lead to a lifelong fixation with Catigrls ^_^

Let it be known that i still can't stand the english version. I had to watch it subbed =)

Newbie Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick's Avatar
    Thanks
    For me, I have to admit I started to get into anime when I first saw robotech on toonami. When I saw the first episode, I thought to myself, this is so much better than watching bugs bunny or daffy duck, because it had a certain edge to it and a certain matureness about it that differred from ordinary cartoons or animations. Toonami still continues to pull out great anime like yu yu hakusho, but it has been overdone by adult swim, especially for their new line up of Full Metal Alchemist and GITS : SAC . I can't wait until they bring Naruto to adult swim because I'll be honest and say I have only read one Naruto manga and that's it. I hear about it alot and want to see it. Back to the subject though, after Robotech was abruptly cancelled, I moved on to dragonball Z, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing. After that, the best series I have seen CN get from Japan(as well as a great translation and VO) is Cowboy Bebop. That is what got me into buying anime and manga at stores.

-xanga(link coming soon)-blogger(link coming soon)-website(link coming soon)-profile(link coming soon)

Gundam Builder Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mine would have to be when they showed Gundam Wing on CArtoon Network. I knew dragonball z was popular but at the time I wasnt a BIG anime fan like I am today because dbz was the only anime I saw at that time. But when I saw the sommercial for Gudnam WIng and watched it, it changed my life in ways I never knew it could.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    What started it for me was when I saw Tenchi Muyo on toonami. I started watching it, and i Was hooked in no time. Heck without that show, i might not be talking to you now.
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Nov 05, 2004 at 09:48 PM.

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmccormick
    For me, I have to admit I started to get into anime when I first saw robotech on toonami. When I saw the first episode, I thought to myself, this is so much better than watching bugs bunny or daffy duck, because it had a certain edge to it and a certain matureness about it that differred from ordinary cartoons or animations.
    Right on.

And now that you bring it up, i guess i was technically a robotech fan before i knew what it was. I've always been into the BattleTech strategy game and MechWarrior video game series, and as we all know now, FASA totally ripped every one of their original 'Mech designs straight out of RoboTech. Heh, i even have a few old field manuals that still have RoboTech mechs in them.

Newbie Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTigerFour
    Right on.

And now that you bring it up, i guess i was technically a robotech fan before i knew what it was. I've always been into the BattleTech strategy game and MechWarrior video game series, and as we all know now, FASA totally ripped every one of their original 'Mech designs straight out of RoboTech. Heh, i even have a few old field manuals that still have RoboTech mechs in them.
    Yes, you're absolutely right. The thing is, that they cancelled robotech so quickly that those that actually saw it wanted more and those that never saw it got into anime almost a year later with dragonball z and gundam wing.
    I think, to my knowledge, this was the first anime to be recgnized by few among the whole U.S., not in a video game, but on a tv channel CN. They took a chance and at first, ratings were down. But when Dragonball Z hit the market, anime became extremely popular, and the fact that anime was seen on playstation games was like the icing on the cake. By then, CN knew they found gold. Now, 3/4 of CN's shows everyday are japanese anime influenced shows.

-xanga(link coming soon)-blogger(link coming soon)-website(link coming soon)-profile(link coming soon)

Newbie Jupiter~Fox may be famous one day Jupiter~Fox may be famous one day Jupiter~Fox's Avatar
    Thanks
    I will have to say....InuYasha or Kenshin.....I don't know but I think it was mostly InuYasha
    Once you have Anime you shall NEVER walk Alone!

Otaku SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ahh DBZ was the first hey, cos they showed it here on TV, hence the nick

Anyways that was the first and then i moved on to more and more, i still dig it tho, people may mock it but dbz rocked, tho DB was good as well funny as hell

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast