Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Our Education?

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Ahh... an education thread, eh? Well, first, I live in Georgia. Do you know what this means? Georgia has, like, the WORST education system in USA. It's BAD. The Superintendents are stupid (no, really. I have a story on that later on), and, well, (if this insults you, too bad) it's the South.
    I can't say the teachers are bad, some are, but mine aren't bad at all (granted, this COULD be because I'm in a Magnet program (BTW, for those that don't know, Magnet is a "gifted" program)). It's just that the other students DON'T CARE. It's annoying! I can count on my hands the number of students in my classes that don't mess around too much.
    Anyway, y'all are probably wondering "well, ryke, what the f*** does this have to do with school?". My point is this: there is a private school next to us (about a mile and a half away). It's called Marist (I think that's how you spell it). For WHATEVER reason, we have a "rivalry" with them in pretty much all clubs. We get destroyed in everything from Debate to Football. Obviously (to me, at least) private schools give you a MUCH better chance of learning.
    Now, all I said was "learning". I said NOTHING about "learning what you need to know". I have the BIGGEST example EVER! I know this one person who was in private schools his whole life, then came to Chamblee High (my high school). This person, who we shall call "person F (not because of grades)", had NO COMMON SENSE. Period. Now, know this: he was my friend. Until he went to Marist after freshman year. Person F could hardly go through a day without being mocked or made a fool of. It was kinda sad, really.
    Now, to deal with the person who said that "honor classes are the same as normal classes". Good job there. Except not. One MAIN thing you need to know: honor classes count for more, and they cover stuff in more depth. Don't flame me about "well, ryke, honor classes aren't AP, you know". I KNOW this! I mean that colleges count them for more. "Well, ryke, I don't plan on going to a college" WTF?! Then WTF are you doing taking an honors course!?
    ALSO honor courses give you access to more stuff. IE, when I was away for a year and merely taking a "gifted" math course rather than a "Magnet" course, I lost any chance to take a "Fast-track" test, that would enable me to take a math course that crams two math courses into one: Geometry and Algebra 2. This was a HUGE loss on my part. Because of this, I now have to try to get a tutor over the summer so I can hop into their Calculus course...
    Now, back to something I mentioned in passing: The superintendent(s, not quite sure about the others except for mine), is an idiot. Better yet, all faculty/staff above "teacher" are stupid. Why? Well, last year, for the "shuttle" busses (where we take two school busses to get home), we high-school students were forced to wait about an hour longer than normal to let the middle-schoolers on. This could have been easily fixed. ALSO, this year, he pushed all middle-school times later by an hour. This is BAD. Now, a lot of the people I know who have little siblings are forced to suffer, waiting for an extra hour.
    Better yet, the Faculty (except teachers) at my school FAIL AT LIFE. It's like they get off on forcing us to do inane stuff, and are so obviously pro-athletics, it hurts me. Not just that, they're pro-FOOTBALL. Completely ignoring all other sports. Even a couple teachers have this bias (besides football coaches, because that's just obvious). For example: my friend, who runs in cross-country, and is pretty good, only one place away from varsity, was not quite doing so good in health because of his laziness. Another football jock (who is a complete moron, and by moron, I have ANOTHER anecdote for ya: he asked me for math help, right? The problem he was stuck on (and this is in freshman year, mind you) was: x-4=0 what is x? First, the problem is stupidly simple. Second, when I tried showing him how to do it, he kept on shouting "no! No! You have to SUBTRACT 4! It CANCELS out!" I wanted to strangle him) wasn't doing good, either. The teacher went to the jock and said "well, I know you take sports, so I'll let you make up work, OK?". Now, my friend, and YES, the teacher DID know he had cross-country, didn't get any such opportunity.
    This was all just to show you how BAD a public school is compared to a private school, except for the fact that private schools SHELTER you.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen
    Private schools, at least the one I went to, are actually worse than public schools. The one I went to last year was very backwards in everything, including education, and we were being taught stuff I have known for years now. I hated it there.
    Exactly my point...the things i learn in the school i go to now....teaches the same concepts over and over...gets really annoying

Newbie Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul's Avatar
    Thanks
    It seems that everywere have a BAD Educatoinal System
    But still, at least in my country, money does not mean quality
    Most of the private schools suck, just like that, and only works to keep
    "people of money" away from the rest of us.
    Excepting for that, almost everything about education sucks

Cuando oigas a un niño preguntar "¿Por que el sol viene y se va?"
    Dile "Porque en esta vida no hay luz sin obscuridad"

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't believe going to a public school means a lesser education, I have known many a public school friends who have to pretigious schools, me included. There is no difference in a public or private education, one is more expensive because the individual state doesn't cover the necessary budget in order to educate its students. Also, I don't like I would like a private school, *UNIFORMS* nooooooooo, j/k I feel that at a public school you have a better diversity of people who you can befriend instead of just the people who paid to be there.

I can agree with Ryke12 as well. Florida's education system is just as bad, we have a stupid ass Governor who pushes for so much reading and writing that the sciences are left out. Math and Science should go together not be separate, man too think about how many future engineers they are going to **** over. Also, I totally empathize with the bussing system, how about this, since magnet school bussing was taking so much out of the budget, the county where I went to high school STOPPED magnet bussing, no more busses for magnet students. ****ing crazy I tell ya. BTW, all of the high schools in Central Florida have about 3000 students each, it is so ****ed up you have no idea. Also our governor is the presidents brother, obviously Jeb Bush got the wrong genes from that family.

oh and too answer the question, Florida's schools are funded based on their standardized test scores on the FCAT Test- a bastardized brainchild of that idiotic bitch of the president- Jeb Bush.
    Last edited by KnightofNi; Jan 26, 2005 at 12:47 PM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    hm.....i think in a way we all came to the conclusion that all school system no matter private/public/semi-private schools can in their own ways be bad.

Personally went to a Catholic school (chalk that up for semi-private)...saw so many things that were a joke in the system. But also saw so many things tha were a joke in the public system.

Within our own school, there were your good and your bad teachers, there's no escaping it. They either teach the way you learn, or they don't. Just like you meld with some people and not all, you'll find some teachers you learn well from and others that that you can't seem to grasp. As always, there's also your good and your bad students.....going to a private or public school doesn't mean getting straight As or straight Ds that's not how it goes.

One thing i want to point out is that....Grading is very subjective. Once you hit university, you'll see that grades mean jack...other than maybe getting you into university and getting those scholarships. Within the Catholic school system....i don't mean to brag but our school was one of the better ones learning content-wise.....not necessarily academic grades-wise. Just because you have a higher grade doesn't mean you know/learn more.

In last year of English, we had a teacher that told us she never gives anything higher than 85%....at the end of the year....without surprise, the highest mark in her class was an 85% -_-" Now I have friends....in public schools and other catholic schools who were able to grab 90s in English...I KNOW they would've gotten close to a 75% in our insane English class.

I live in Canada and we have no standardized testing before entering university/college (what have you), so it's ALLLLLL based on the grades you get in highschool. In my last year, while applying for university, I saw everything from learning which schools jack up grades of their students, which schools are more leanient with their marking and which were hard with their grading. I learnt that marks meant JACK when it comes to comparing who's smarter/learnt more than who. So don't compare marks, compare content before you call someone dumb just because they got a lower mark in an AP or "advanced" course in your school.

About those gifted classes, I went to one in elementary school where it was a day of "gifted" classes a week. Man~ that place was fun....it was a break from school, i didn't really see why it was "gifted" tho. We did stuff that was totally different from the regular school curriculum, saw things differently, learnt more stuff than I would in class...sure it tapped into things that the normal curriculum didn't have time to do...but i personally didn't see how only a select group of people could handle it. To me, I personally thought that I'd be great if it was introduced as normal curriculum.

Summary....
    Good / Bad education depends on the person learning (you only learn as much as you want to)
    Good / Bad teachers are everywhere (system-wide), there's no escaping them by jumping to a diff system, just try a different school
    If you think it's too easy, go to your councilor and ask for more interesting or more simulating work
    Marks only get you into college/university, then it means jack, getting A+s doesn't mean you won't fail out in your first year

Get real....just like there's bad/good people everywhere, there's no perfect school. In university there are still people who do jack and play around all day....just they don't stick around. They're there....you can simply choose not to associate with them. There are still good/bad profs. Going to Harvard doesn't mean you come out with God-like knowledge. Paying more doesn't always mean better education. It just means more politics and more junk to deal with.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Kira may be famous one day Kira may be famous one day Kira's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe that the kids coming out from public school are much more autonomous than those from private school: private school = babysitting

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I'm from the states and I have a very low opinion of public school. I believe it was a good idea that has failed. What started out as a way to see that everyone got an education has turned into a money machine/social experiment.

When I was in school the school got paid based on how many kids were in their seats every day. Let me assure you that our grades were not as important to them as keeping our rears in their chairs. They enacted all kinds of rules to prevent you from graduating or passing if you missed more then a minumum # of days. And if you did, to make them up you had to do guess what.....pay them money. Add that to the fact that they were more concerned with whether we were socializing well then whether we could do math or read. Last year the legislature changed the payment to the schools from attendence to grades. All of a sudden the teachers are concerned about whether the kids are passing tests or not (according to the news and several 17 yr olds I know). Go figure.

As for public vs private? People aren't perfect, your going to get some that are really good and some that aren't. In my experience though whether a student isn't in a public school has nothing to do with how rich their parent is, only how involved that parent is with their child actually getting an education. I've been told there is a good chance of school vouchers passing in the legeslature this year. Personally I can't wait to see what happens if they do. There are alot of people I know who are homeschooling that would love to have the option of private school.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3