Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Particular customs of your area.

Newbie rpgmasterjayo may be famous one day rpgmasterjayo may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Particular customs of your area.

well in the netherlands we have something called sinter klaas(wich transelates to Saint Klaus -> Santa Clause). It's almost the same as Christmas except now its a thin guy who looks a bit like a saint who rides a white horse, wears red clothes and if you sing the evening of the 5th december(the story says he lives in spain and comes to the netherlands every year around 5th decembre) there will be present nexto the fire place.(we dont have a tree like with christmas and instead of hanging a sock by the fire place we put our schoe nexto it and get sweets) thats about it, although christmas is rising here too so they celebrate that a little more and sinter klaas a little less.

Newbie Koketsu may be famous one day Koketsu may be famous one day Koketsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    Please explain Rememverance Day.
    it's a day when we honor those who died in any of the battles in WW1 in Canada, also we wear poppies over our hearts as well

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

We have an extreamly local holiday here... it's called Cotton Fest.

The city I live in was settled by people who came to grow cotton. There is even a large building (now a plant nursery) that was the factory where they processed it. Cotton isn't grown here anymore and at one time the factory was looking at being condemed. Then a lady came through who fell in love with the place and the history. She bought the factory, refurbished it, and started the first cotton fest to celebrate our local history. Funny it had to be someone from outside but I guess that's how it is sometimes. She's not around anymore but the festival grows every year.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

I find Dia de Los Muertos interesting. I had to research that for a narrative drawing I'm doing in art class. I think it'd take alot of cultural influence to make someone not sad, but instead happy when remembering their departed loved ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's Eid al-Fitr today for muslims . We have a prayer in the morning, then have fun the rest of the day.

In my town in America, parents are taking kids out to Toy's R Us and the bowling alley. We can take the day off from school...but i have nothing better to do so i'm at school right now, all dressed up ^^;;

In Malaysia, though, we have a more special way of celebrating it. The celebrations start at least a week before the special day. Kids get packets of money (much like Chinese Ang Pau on Chinese New Year) from family members and neighbors. We visit graves and remember the dead, somewhat like Dia de Los Muertos, only less happier ^^;;. And of course, the malls are packed with people looking for a good sale. We also visit relatives' and friends' houses, ask for forgiveness from elders for all the bad things we might have done in the past year, and eat TONS of food, since Eid Al-Fitr marks the end of fasting month. That's all just a cultural thing, though. Different countries celebrate this differently.

Again, I just say everything in a nutshell ._.
    関西は最高やねん

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    We have an extreamly local holiday here... it's called Cotton Fest.

The city I live in was settled by people who came to grow cotton. There is even a large building (now a plant nursery) that was the factory where they processed it. Cotton isn't grown here anymore and at one time the factory was looking at being condemed. Then a lady came through who fell in love with the place and the history. She bought the factory, refurbished it, and started the first cotton fest to celebrate our local history. Funny it had to be someone from outside but I guess that's how it is sometimes. She's not around anymore but the festival grows every year.
    Ok, now I'm really interested in what goes on at one of these 'Cotton fests'.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    Ok, now I'm really interested in what goes on at one of these 'Cotton fests'.
    Well, on friday night they have a "Movie in the Park", they project a movie up on a screen and everyone brings their own chairs or blankets... kind of like the old drive in theaters without the teenagers making out.

Saturday morning they start off with a "Chamber Breakfast" for anyone who wants to come followed by a parade and then a festival with games, food, entertainment, and of course the booths selling anything under the sun. Since the emphasis is on the areas history some of the activities availible are Quilt Tying, Weaving, Candle & Soap making, Mountain Men (showing off lol), and Museum Tours. There is a museum of the areas history right there where the festival is held that's open year round.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Well, on friday night they have a "Movie in the Park", they project a movie up on a screen and everyone brings their own chairs or blankets... kind of like the old drive in theaters without the teenagers making out.

Saturday morning they start off with a "Chamber Breakfast" for anyone who wants to come followed by a parade and then a festival with games, food, entertainment, and of course the booths selling anything under the sun. Since the emphasis is on the areas history some of the activities availible are Quilt Tying, Weaving, Candle & Soap making, Mountain Men (showing off lol), and Museum Tours. There is a museum of the areas history right there where the festival is held that's open year round.
    Wow, sounds like you live in mayberry USA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Wow, sounds like you live in mayberry USA.
    lol, hardly.

I actually live in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the US. (One of those cities in a row of cities.) Our city heritage is a little unusual though. A religious group seeking to provide... ok, not that unusual in the US. lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast