Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Particular customs of your area.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Particular customs of your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Well, on friday night they have a "Movie in the Park", they project a movie up on a screen and everyone brings their own chairs or blankets... kind of like the old drive in theaters without the teenagers making out.

Saturday morning they start off with a "Chamber Breakfast" for anyone who wants to come followed by a parade and then a festival with games, food, entertainment, and of course the booths selling anything under the sun. Since the emphasis is on the areas history some of the activities availible are Quilt Tying, Weaving, Candle & Soap making, Mountain Men (showing off lol), and Museum Tours. There is a museum of the areas history right there where the festival is held that's open year round.
    So it's not specifically about cotton, just the history of the place (which cotton so happens to be a part of).

It's always interesting to read things like that, it always makes me remember how young a country like the USA is.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    So it's not specifically about cotton, just the history of the place (which cotton so happens to be a part of).

It's always interesting to read things like that, it always makes me remember how young a country like the USA is.
    Very young. This area was first settled in April 15, 1857 just 148 years ago. Britian is how old?

Cotton is more then just a part of it though. The city I live in is where the first settlement occured consisting of 38 families from Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, Texas, Tennessee and the Carolinas. They came here specifically to grow cotton because the Civil War was about to errupt and there was a concern that cotton would become unavailble. So you could say that cotton is the reason that this place exists.

They certainly wouldn't have moved here for any other reason. I can't imagine living here without airconditioning. Comparisons to Hell, tempeture wise, are common.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Very young. This area was first settled in April 15, 1857 just 148 years ago. Britian is how old?

Cotton is more then just a part of it though. The city I live in is where the first settlement occured consisting of 38 families from Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, Texas, Tennessee and the Carolinas. They came here specifically to grow cotton because the Civil War was about to errupt and there was a concern that cotton would become unavailble. So you could say that cotton is the reason that this place exists.

They certainly wouldn't have moved here for any other reason. I can't imagine living here without airconditioning. Comparisons to Hell, tempeture wise, are common.
    Do people also dress up like the old days at this fest?
    When there are medieval fairs around here you will always see some kind of parade consisting of people acting out historic events.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    Do people also dress up like the old days at this fest?
    When there are medieval fairs around here you will always see some kind of parade consisting of people acting out historic events.
    The ones who are doing the demonstrations often do. The mountain men always do. I think it's voluntary.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks

Well In the area of texas my friend lives in you go out and hunt your turkey for thanksgiving, you always have a frozen back up but its tastes better if you kill it yourself for some reason and no I am not a cold hearted animal killer I am a very good shot and the turkies never knew what hit them no pain at all so get off my back!
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animewolf267
    Well In the area of texas my friend lives in you go out and hunt your turkey for thanksgiving, you always have a frozen back up but its tastes better if you kill it yourself for some reason and no I am not a cold hearted animal killer I am a very good shot and the turkies never knew what hit them no pain at all so get off my back!
    So it's a tradition there to hunt for your own thanksgiving turkey.
    That must be a remnant from the old days.

Otaku darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36's Avatar
    Thanks

How about the cherry blossom festival in japan where you go one day and smoke and get drunk kind of a weird celebration if ya ask me!
    This is the code of honor: A wounded man says to his assaliant if i live i will kill you and if i die you are forgiven: Thus this is the code of honor!

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello,
    Although the following costume is not woren prominently for Halloween, it is costume woren for a famous dance and also by group of warriors here wear these outfits (swordsmen). Believe me, there are some badasses in this group. My Vayu league is different, though. Vayu league is a swordsmen martial arts group, who practice Swarga Chakra (heavenly wheel) martial arts.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kedar; Nov 07, 2005 at 07:54 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast