Patlabor, in contrast with Gundam, would be more 'grounded'. Forget about minovsky particle and stuff like that. If big guns and constant explosion, with mecha flying everywhere or moving ridiculously fast, is your game then parlabor would almost certainly be the wrong field for you to play. The OVA's are also a lot more involving than most mecha OVAs ; it is like yer detective films with virtually all the explosive action stuffed in the first and last 5 ~ 10 minutes and all the mystery solving and dialogue in the middle. The stories inherently slow; it is police work with all the processes splashed on the screen, intelligence gathering and quite a lot of the 'silent treatment' (scenes where all the moving elements you see on screen would be the BG). So if you are fan of such genre, go for all three of the OVAs, they are good. If you decide the stuff is not for you ... I would strongly suggest you pass it up : you WILL end up sleeping after the first half an hour of the OVA ( I know most of me friends did :P) ...